News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.98b)  (Read 231809 times)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2015, 07:59:09 am »
Project II had already changed the steel orb back into a scythe, yes. :)

Edit -
Did someone say, "Japanese Title Screen?"

Tadaaaa!
Congrats, chillyfeez! It looks fantastic!

Cue the victory fanfare!

:crazy:  :woot!: :woot!: :woot!::beer: :beer: :beer: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:
Here ya go! :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:06:48 am by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2015, 03:49:45 pm »
Yep I double checked the scythe and it has been changed already. I also noticed that the save points are now Star of Davids as well, which I'm content with. For some reason I overlooked them before.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2015, 04:55:08 am »
So, I've made it to Mt Ordeals (at just over 2 hours too---was this game actually this short before?), and I have a question and a few thoughts.  Bear in mind these all come from an FF vet who has bought this game probably ~4 times over his gaming career and I've done only a small amount of money grinding so far, so sorry if any of this seems too nit-picky

-Is the drop rate formula changed in this hack?  Not that I'm complaining, but I seem to be getting a metric ton more drops than I ever remember getting in the original SNES version or the PS version, so I'm curious

-I like the additional commands for Edward, Tellah, Rosa and Yang.  The only beef I have is the addition of Salve to Edward.  Not that the hack's been particularly hard so far, but Salve pretty much breaks any difficulty for me right up until you lose Ed--I guess I just think a full-party potion command is a bit too OP for the beginning, especially when potions are so cheap.

Just my opinion of course, but I think the rest of the additional commands are a nice touch and don't blast the doors off the difficulty that much, although a lower success rate on Pray wouldn't hurt IMO

-Speaking of difficulty, was this hack only supposed to reflect the Japanese version's difficulty or did it do some other things as well?  Maybe it's just my billionth time through being somewhat routine at this point, but it doesn't feel like a lot has been changed on this front

So far so good though--I like what script changes I've seen, and I'm looking forward to getting farther along!  Zero bug too, so basically great job all around so far!

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2015, 02:15:03 pm »
Project II had already changed the steel orb back into a scythe, yes.

Ah, I see!

You know that would be an awesome change. It would need to be tested because flashy graphics can cause errors, as we learned with the title screen. If you can find a way to implement it without bugs, I say go for it!

Well the orb save's flashing depends on the tileset. The places that would have the flashing orb would be the places that have the flashing "S" icons in the US version. When I was checking them out, I think Lunar Subteranne The Tower With Dr.Lugae use it.

I also noticed that the save points are now Star of Davids as well, which I'm content with. For some reason I overlooked them before.

If you're content with it, then that's what counts!  :thumbsup:  Hunting down the save tiles was already on my to-do list, the thought of helping someone else at the same time is what got me off my lazy ass to delve into Tile Layer again haha.  I took notes of the locations of them, so I might post them up on RHDN or Slick if anyone's interested.

Quick question: is the Hold-B-to-Dash exclusive to Namingway edition? I ask because I'm going to rebuild what I've done of my project with a new base rom, and that's one of the things I've been trying to track down.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2015, 05:37:15 pm »
Quick question: is the Hold-B-to-Dash exclusive to Namingway edition? I ask because I'm going to rebuild what I've done of my project with a new base rom, and that's one of the things I've been trying to track down.

Well... Yes, sort of, but only accidentally.
 :-[
I had intended on releasing another version of User Options that included it as an optional patch, but I never got around to putting the zip archive together.

If I'm not mistaken, I posted a link to it on this thread. I haven't taken it off of my Google drive, so there's no reason to believe that link won't work if you can find it. You'll need to have the latest officially-released version of User Options patched in first (I think you do) in order for the Hold B to Dash patch to work properly.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Abster

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2015, 06:10:43 pm »
The iron ball was changed back to the scythe already, but the sound effect it makes when it's dropped does not.  It's still used elsewhere in the US version (where the Antlion tries to attack Edward) so it should be a relatively simple tweak.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2015, 07:58:47 pm »
...There was a sound effect change? Oh dear. Whenever I can, I need to look at comparisons then... and get ready on v2.12 of Project II...

Edit -
So, I've made it to Mt Ordeals (at just over 2 hours too---was this game actually this short before?)
Hello, magictrufflez. Not sure if you know, but I made Project II, the mod Namingway Edition was based off of. So I'm gonna answer some of your more general questions that also apply to Project II.

As for this first question, I've personally beaten FFIV on PSone in a little over twelve hours, so yeah. It's always been short! Even shorter for FFIV experts like you and I. :thumbsup:

-Is the drop rate formula changed in this hack?  Not that I'm [complaining, but I seem to be getting a metric ton more drops than I ever remember getting in the original SNES version or the PS version, so I'm curious
I didn't personally change any drop rates when I restored Project II's original items dropped, and I can't imagine Rodimus would've done so for a mod that is to replicate the Japanese version's difficulty. The only thing that should be different is that all Goblin-type foes can drop the Goblin Eidolon, all Bomb-type foes can now drop the Bomb Eidolon, and all Cockatrice-types can now drop the Cockatrice Eidolon. You are the second person to comment on the drop rates, however, but I think you both were isolated incidents.

-I like the additional commands for Edward, Tellah, Rosa and Yang.  The only beef I have is the addition of Salve to Edward.  Not that the hack's been particularly hard so far, but Salve pretty much breaks any difficulty for me right up until you lose Ed--I guess I just think a full-party potion command is a bit too OP for the beginning, especially when potions are so cheap.
I actually somewhat agree, but Salve was completely useless before. Also known as Heal, Salve split a Potion among the team, which also consumes the Potion in the process... Potions, in battle, restore 64-96 HP per person. (In the menu, it's a static 96 HP.) It would heal 13-19 HP with five people, 16-24 with four people, and 21-32 with three people. It was only marginally useful, and you'd honestly rather have Edward either Hide until you find the Lamia Harp, or Sing and hope it doesn't miss.

Salve now consumes a Potion, but it technically splits a Hi-Potion among the team, healing (At max.) 64-96 HP per person. I can see where you'd think it's overpowered with less people, but without drastically overhauling the Salve command to not call on items for its usage, there's no real better way to do it and stay true to what the command does.

Just my opinion of course, but I think the rest of the additional commands are a nice touch and don't blast the doors off the difficulty that much, although a lower success rate on Pray wouldn't hurt IMO
That is something Rodimus could probably do if he thinks it's worth it. Pray was originally a 50% chance to cast Cure on the entire team, and now it has a 70% chance to cast Cura on everyone--unless Rodimus changed it. I think, in the spirit of making Namingway Edition truer to the original, it could be lowered to 60%? But I'm not really on the Namingway team, so that's not my call.

-Speaking of difficulty, was this hack only supposed to reflect the Japanese version's difficulty or did it do some other things as well?  Maybe it's just my billionth time through being somewhat routine at this point, but it doesn't feel like a lot has been changed on this front
As stated before, Project II (Namingway Edition's base.) did a plethora of things different compared to any other version of FFIV, although many of its changes were inspired by other releases. Further revisions of Namingway Edition should further reflect the process of undoing changes made in the transition from FFIV to FFII US, but as stated before, I'm not officially part of the Namingway team, so please don't take my word for it. However, given Namingway's manifesto, it should be a fair assumption to make.

So far so good though--I like what script changes I've seen, and I'm looking forward to getting farther along!  Zero bug too, so basically great job all around so far!
Thank you for the kudos on the script, magictrufflez; I appreciate it a lot. :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:38:02 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2015, 09:23:36 pm »
Well... Yes, sort of, but only accidentally.
 :-[
I had intended on releasing another version of User Options that included it as an optional patch, but I never got around to putting the zip archive together.

If I'm not mistaken, I posted a link to it on this thread. I haven't taken it off of my Google drive, so there's no reason to believe that link won't work if you can find it. You'll need to have the latest officially-released version of User Options patched in first (I think you do) in order for the Hold B to Dash patch to work properly.

Hmm, I searched through the thread but sadly, no luck.  It was fun to read up on Namingway's progress up to this point, though.  Plus I found some valuable info regarding changing "GP" to "Gil", which when I work up the courage to dabble with a hex editor, I'll be good to go on thet end. Hurray for silver linings!  :D

In regards to FFIV's length... it's easy to speedrun through. The PSP's version can be even shorter with the auto-battle function. I think I cleared it in little over 10-12 hours, and that's with getting just about everything haha.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2015, 09:33:42 pm »
Sorry, Bahamut ZERO, I was mistaken, turns out I posted the hold-B patch on 2/17, and this thread was created 2/18.
The post is in the Project II thread, the exact day before the two officially became two separate projects.

You can find it here:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,17302.msg273229.html#msg273229
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2015, 08:40:41 am »
I will say that the changes were to reflect the Japanese version and bring the game closer to it in many ways. Project II already in many way did that and Namingway Edition built upon that foundation. The extra commands weren't in the US FFII but vivify93 restored them. Some do make the game a LOT easier in some spots, like Cecil's Dark Wave, but I did restore where possible the changed battle scripts of monsters so that it is the same as the Japanese version.

The game isn't THAT hard. I remember playing it for the first time years ago and not really having a hard time until the last boss, and this was the US version. So, now he's harder in Namingway Edition because that's how the Japanese Final Fantasy IV is.

And vivify93, so long as Namingway Edition exists and its connection to Project II, you'll always be somewhat part of it, even if now that it's a seperate project. And any input is always appreciated, from all of you!

April 20, 2015, 11:18:59 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay guys, version 1.4 is live which includes the fix for Scarmiglione's battle quotes as well as the added title screen add-on!

The title screen add on is compatible with base Final Fantasy II (1.1) US, Project II (after removing the header), and Namingway Edition!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:56:06 pm by Rodimus Primal »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2015, 02:09:37 am »
snip

snip

Thanks for the responses, just wanted to toss my 2 cents in if I could help any!  I've just gotten to the Underworld and still no real problems except some artificial difficulty on my part (I've been running from most everything I know doesn't drop something useful for awhile now).

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition (updated to Version 1.4)
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2015, 11:39:56 pm »
A low level run, huh? I never attempted that on a game. I almost always overleveled early on in RPGs.  Are you playing with the most recent update?

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2015, 07:33:25 am »
I'm not really lol-level running persay, but I mostly just want to get to Edge as quickly as possible so I can farm a few Giant gloves, and then the Sealed Cave portion, since that's where the side-tracking tends to take off for me.

I'm also normally overleveled in order to steamroll everything in most RPG's I play, but since I've played this particular game so often, I figure just blast through most of the early stuff and get to the parts I enjoy most.  I think I'm getting too old for straight power levelling through every part of a game anymore anyways

By most recent update, do you mean the one with the new title screen?  Since I'm so far in I'm not so sure I want to restart for just that, but I did download the version I'm playing last week sometime, so it shouldn't be TOO old.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2015, 10:46:58 am »
The only big thing that the update with the Title screen changed was the battle messages for Scarmiglione. Since you're past that point it doesn't make a difference unless you want the new title screen, which can even be applied to the version you have. Even if you changed to the current version, your save files would be unaffected.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2015, 04:39:05 am »
I might give it a shot this weekend then--making extra backups just in case of course

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2015, 12:06:24 pm »
Are all of Zeromus' stats set back to the original Japanese difficulty?
He still seems a good bit easier to me. Damage looks consistent with what it should be but he seems a little slower; he doesn't seem to be throwing the Big Bang at me quite as often.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2015, 06:53:37 pm »
He is. The code was changed exactly how it is in the Japanese version.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2015, 07:10:06 pm »
Hmm, odd. I had my battle speed all the way up, but he seemed slower. Maybe I was just getting lucky. (Or I'm just more badass than I thought I was)  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:28:57 pm by Bobolicious81 »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2015, 10:04:35 pm »
Let's face it. You rock!  :thumbsup:

That and you could have been leveled high enough to rip him apart.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2015, 02:24:24 pm »
So, I'm pretty much at the end, the only thing I have left to do is power level and then steamroll the final boss.  I like how the script is so much clearer about wtf is going on at the end, although the clarity makes me remember how ridiculous the shark jumping was at the end of this game (I feel like a dissertation on Lunarian vs Human lifespans coming on, but I'll stay off my soapbox).  I was somewhat underleveled compared to what I normally am at the end, but I managed to out-strategize most every tough encounter, even getting Bahamut before clearing out the giant.  I only cheated once (to get a 3rd protect ring), but was able to legit farm everything else I wanted to get in this run.  Those buyable sirens were so welcome for farming.

There were 2 bugs (or maybe they weren't?) that I found while playing through:

-The Wyvern Lance has a different sound when it attacks than every other lance, making an explosion sound rather than the normal slashing sound.  I don't know if it was like this in the Japanese version, but it seemed really out of place.

-Stepping onto a save space while holding the B button while running seems to goof up the rooms graphics and the save space becomes an unpassable block.  Exiting and reentering resets the room, however.

One non-bug thing I found interesting was the save point near the end of the game--was there originally a save point down there near the final battle?  Because that's one thing I would definitely recommend changing if you ever do another substantive update for this hack.  The 4 floor slog (or run-fest) was something I personally liked about the US version.

All-around great work!