News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dr. Mario DX  (Read 1576 times)

marc_max

• View Profile
Dr. Mario DX
« on: October 19, 2019, 05:33:17 am »

I started yesterday a GB to GBC colorization hack, just for learning purposes. Even if this was a simple hack, it's already a nice improvement. Had to inject NES tiles though.

Can't really decide if this is a WIP or just a PoC. I prefer to start colorizing a bigger game, and do not waste time on this one. Mostly because it's a pain in the ass to hack this one due to being one of the very first titles released on the system. The animated viruses in thelower right corner should be redone, and trying to get a good result with backgrounds could get hard.

Download alpha patch

I might continue it if someone helps by redrawing those sprites and try to colorize the background tiles (have in mind the GBC limitations!).

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
Re: Dr. Mario DX
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 07:30:46 am »
Dr.Mario is one of my favorite games, Im really glad to see this, it already looks good.

Sadly Im not good at hacking, but I think Im pretty decent at spriting, if its easy for you to provide the images or help with the tiles I could try and help.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 10:06:57 am »
This looks absolutely fantastic!
I love how it turned out :)
I'll see if I can do something about the remaining stuff

nanashi89

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 07:05:11 pm »
No matter which ROM I choose to patch, it never looks like the one in the picture...

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 08:07:21 pm »
Looks like something Toruzz would do.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 09:43:59 pm »
This looks amazing so far. I say to keep it up. Maybe I can try to see if I can make some sprites for you.  :thumbsup:

Miles Tails Power

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 10:59:32 pm »
continue the project Maybe I can try to see if I can make some sprites for you.

marc_max

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:25:53 am »
Any contribution will be welcome :-) Just make sure you follow the GBC limitations:
* sprites have only three colors
* there are 8 background palettes (4 colors each one), any of these can be assigned to each background tile

No matter which ROM I choose to patch, it never looks like the one in the picture...
It should work with any Dr. Mario ROM. If you are using an emulator, make sure it's running in GBC mode.

Today at 03:02:42 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Da_GPer is already redoing the sprite viruses, and they are looking really good :-)

I had an idea for HUD, which involves destroying the original containers, but I don't see any other solution.

« Last Edit: Today at 03:45:35 pm by marc_max »