News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Alec64 working on nintendo64 retail  (Read 3175 times)

arshes91

• View Profile
Alec64 working on nintendo64 retail
« on: February 16, 2015, 06:19:37 pm »
I was surprised that found someone got work some from MAME games on nintendo64 that use same hardware aspects was used for alec64...geez gives me that triforce for strange reason.

Also is wierd he made so far 5 games make porpouse for retail version i wonder would work for emulator version soon.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Alec64 working on nintendo64 retail
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:09:29 pm »
geez gives me that triforce for strange reason.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's been a very long time, but it's with a smile on my face that I present to you the new CANT HACK METROID.

arshes91

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:38:15 pm »

[/quote]
Ladies and gentlemen, it's been a very long time, but it's with a smile on my face that I present to you the new CANT HACK METROID.

anyway can check if those games also works on emulator? so far zoniky made porpouse for retail if im wrong, glad someone got hacked some games never released on nintendo 64 but was planed later on to make a port.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 02:48:45 pm »
Aleck64's just arcade hardware the Seta and Nintendo worked on together based off the N64, and the games were loaded through carts, which to me sounds.... kind of dumb.

There were like, 10 games released on it, maybe a handful more, mainly puzzle games from what I've read on. A couple I know were also on n64 anyway (Magical Tetris Challenge and Star Soldier Vanishing Earth).

So your best bet would be to just to follow the author's instructions on how to patch it for it to work on retail n64's, then just trying it on Project 64 or something. And tell us the results, as I'm sort of curious myself.

But then again, that's only because I'd like to try Star Soldier in English. But then again, there's a japanese version already on n64 that's perfectly playable anyway.  ;)

In any case, good luck. Hope it works out.

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

arshes91

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 03:25:36 pm »
Aleck64's just arcade hardware the Seta and Nintendo worked on together based off the N64, and the games were loaded through carts, which to me sounds.... kind of dumb.

There were like, 10 games released on it, maybe a handful more, mainly puzzle games from what I've read on. A couple I know were also on n64 anyway (Magical Tetris Challenge and Star Soldier Vanishing Earth).

So your best bet would be to just to follow the author's instructions on how to patch it for it to work on retail n64's, then just trying it on Project 64 or something. And tell us the results, as I'm sort of curious myself.

But then again, that's only because I'd like to try Star Soldier in English. But then again, there's a japanese version already on n64 that's perfectly playable anyway.  ;)

In any case, good luck. Hope it works out.

I give a shot :) ive want trying Tower and Shaft wich is pretty strange game, also not sure if it works because ive found the rom but was devided in two file and this is the problem the info said tower and shaft.n64 file but i can't get any clues where to put the patch since there two inside because of mame relations xd. you could help me please?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:31:30 pm by arshes91 »

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 06:49:04 pm »
There was a USA release of Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth on N64.  Have to admit though, it's a lot easier being able to give yourself credits.

That's because, amusingly, they dump the carts the same way you do N64 carts.  The dumped images are a single file the MAME team then splits into two files to simulate the way the data would be stored on the individual chips inside.  Then they byteswap this because MAME expects only byteswapped input, and software later merges the two and unbyteswaps it (since N64 is big-endian).

Out of lack of any sensible option the patches are made against the file you'd get if you were to dump the game yourself.  There's instructions in the readme on which order to merge the files if you happen to be using the (pirated) MAME dumps.

There's a couple ways to do it.  Copy/paste in a hex editor, or using COPY from DOS or a command prompt on Windows.

Some emulators do run them; Nemu and Cen64 will run any of them, but not jumping through hoops making a game that runs on hardware work despite the weird quirks of some of these emulators.  I didn't specifically make them to only run on hardware (though that's really easy to do) but some emulators require entries added to their ROM databases or are just too inaccurate to emulate some games.  It's ridiculous to change a game, potentially breaking hardware compatibility, just because of bugs in some emulator.

There's six patched games though, not five:
Eleven Beat, Hanabi de Doon, Kurukuru Fever, Star Soldier Vanishing Earth, Tower & Shaft, and Vivid Dolls.
Magical Tetris is next when I get some free time.

[edit]
Apparently didn't upload Eleven Beat or Vivid Dolls.  Whoops.

arshes91

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 03:55:25 pm »
There was a USA release of Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth on N64.  Have to admit though, it's a lot easier being able to give yourself credits.

That's because, amusingly, they dump the carts the same way you do N64 carts.  The dumped images are a single file the MAME team then splits into two files to simulate the way the data would be stored on the individual chips inside.  Then they byteswap this because MAME expects only byteswapped input, and software later merges the two and unbyteswaps it (since N64 is big-endian).

Out of lack of any sensible option the patches are made against the file you'd get if you were to dump the game yourself.  There's instructions in the readme on which order to merge the files if you happen to be using the (pirated) MAME dumps.

There's a couple ways to do it.  Copy/paste in a hex editor, or using COPY from DOS or a command prompt on Windows.

Some emulators do run them; Nemu and Cen64 will run any of them, but not jumping through hoops making a game that runs on hardware work despite the weird quirks of some of these emulators.  I didn't specifically make them to only run on hardware (though that's really easy to do) but some emulators require entries added to their ROM databases or are just too inaccurate to emulate some games.  It's ridiculous to change a game, potentially breaking hardware compatibility, just because of bugs in some emulator.

There's six patched games though, not five:
Eleven Beat, Hanabi de Doon, Kurukuru Fever, Star Soldier Vanishing Earth, Tower & Shaft, and Vivid Dolls.
Magical Tetris is next when I get some free time.

[edit]
Apparently didn't upload Eleven Beat or Vivid Dolls.  Whoops.

Well thanks for any info and i was hoped those games kinda worked on emulator il try soon enought for test. kinda wierd it has those problem wile is the same hardware was made for arcades instead :/