News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Paper Mario Modding Suite -- Star Rod  (Read 8570 times)

cloverhax

• View Profile
Paper Mario Modding Suite -- Star Rod
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:32:34 pm »
I've been working quietly for some time on a Paper Mario romhack.
What began as a simple side-project grew into a collection of tools that can be used to modify most parts of the game. As these tools mature, I would like to gauge the general community's interest in this project. Without getting into too many details, here are the current capabilities of my tools:
  • Complete level editor / 3d editing program (edits models, collisions, camera controllers, vertices, object hierarchy, display lists, etc...).
  • Yay0 compression/decompression (compression ratio beats that of native Paper Mario assets  :)).
  • Ability to freely edit scripts that control battle/map events (along with enemy stats, attacks, etc).
  • String editor that allows replacement and nearly unlimited number of custom strings, with support for all "special functions".
  • Edit tables for important data types (moves/items).
  • ROM injector that rebuilds asset/map tables and patches them to a clean ROM along with all new assets (and patches CRCs).
  • Several handy code patches -- allocate extra memory for custom code/assets, increase maximum enemy HP from 99 to 240.
Here is a short video demonstrating the level editor (how do I embed videos?):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weHo-_JvP9c

These tools are designed to automate most aspects of editing Paper Mario. The largest "missing piece" is the ability to upload custom music (custom textures work, but I haven't finished the conversion tool yet). Let me know if you have any questions.

PS: I would appreciate the assistance of someone who can read Japanese. There are a number of strings used by the developers that I am interested in understanding (including attacks used by some party member who was cut during development!).

Seihen

• View Profile
Re: Paper Mario Modding Suite -- Star Rod
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 06:52:04 pm »
PS: I would appreciate the assistance of someone who can read Japanese. There are a number of strings used by the developers that I am interested in understanding (including attacks used by some party member who was cut during development!).

I'm sure if you post the strings in the Script Help and Language Discussion board, someone would help you out. I'd be interested in seeing them and taking a crack at it anyway!

luigi1er

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 07:07:29 pm »
Wow, this is amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing how much can be done with PM64 and your tool's features. It got my interest :)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 05:46:19 pm »
This is wonderful! If there's a way to edit the text messages with this, I'd be happy beyond belief.

Keep up the great work!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:42:19 pm »
This is absolutely amazing!  It's REALLY in-depth.  I'm loving every bit of this!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

cloverhax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:36:05 pm »
This is wonderful! If there's a way to edit the text messages with this, I'd be happy beyond belief.

Keep up the great work!

Everything can be edited and brand new content can be added. Strings dump to a markup language that you can edit as you like and compile back to the ROM. Not every special text function is named yet, but every bit of functionality is available. The only thing that cannot be done at this time is importing custom music, but only because I have not cracked the format. I know where the files reside on the ROM.
I'm bringing my documentation up to speed and finishing a few more tools before it can all be released. Unfortunately, it's nothing that can be shown off very easily (for example, I wrote a MIPS assembler/disassember to integrate into the script editor yesterday after work).

Tarek701

• View Profile
    • SM64 Hacking Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:58:23 am »
(for example, I wrote a MIPS assembler/disassember to integrate into the script editor yesterday after work).

Kewl b3ans, another MIPS guy. Made a mips assembler too. Looking forward to this editor. Looks really amazing so far.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:06:29 am by Tarek701 »

cloverhax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 08:06:57 pm »
Sorry for the radio silence, I've been working on things that are hard to appreciate in a video.

I've redone the script editor and identified over a hundred functions that are called from the script bytecode. It's quite readable now. It was tricky, but the script dumper now works with the dissembler to recognize jump tables and pseudo instructions and handle them properly. This means that it is now possible to edit cutscenes (and even construct your own) in addition to having full control over important data structures. As proof, here is another simple video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN62tiNEUj8

This is a demonstration of custom NPCs, both friendly and hostile. It also includes custom text, custom battle formations, and loading enemies imported from other portions of the game (Clubba is not supposed to be loaded for battles in Koopa Bros fortress). It is now possible to add NPCs wherever you like, including field enemies.

This editor will release along with a complete example mod and the source files needed to build it. As a bonus, check out the custom game logo at the start of the video (the name is temporary).

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 06:06:59 am »
I am absolutely STOKED for this. This is absolutely amazing!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 12:52:03 pm »
Another welcome addition to Paper Mario hacking! Luigi1er and yourself look to have a pretty good grasp and handle on both sides of the game between your two editors, but I haven't checked yet... are the two editors compatible with one another? Maybe a silly thing to ask but I've seen editors for games that don't act kindly towards another editor for the same game.