News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How do I translate a Russian Mega Drive game?  (Read 2732 times)

frogz2007

• View Profile
How do I translate a Russian Mega Drive game?
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:08:48 am »
I tried opening the game and tried searching in a hex editor (HxD) but it can't find any Russian text in the ROM. Is it compressed? I am basically trying to translate a Russian pirate game called Monsters, Inc.

Noelemahc

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: How do I translate a Russian Mega Drive game?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:08:04 am »
It might be compressed, it might be differently encoded (i.e. "Letter 49" inside the game's font isn't what your computer's Letter 49 is).

It's not as simple as "open with hex editor, see text you can change" in most cases, especially for games predating the PSOne era.

EDIT: A few quick Googles reveals that it's a hack of Decap Attack which changed around some sprites. Perhaps that should be your starting point, figuring out what changed from the original game?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:26:21 am by Noelemahc »

frogz2007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:44:56 am »
This is odd. The real game (Decap Attack) lets me view all of the game text, but the Russian game (Monsters Inc) is a jumbled mess. How do I display Russian in HxD?

EDIT: I translated it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:25:14 pm by frogz2007 »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 05:32:32 pm »
Here's a solution - first of all, search in this site's document section about how to make table (TBL) files.

Then...

Go in the rom. Locate where the font is stored (I prefer Magic Hat to Decap Attack since it doesn't compress everything) and you'll probably find a series of russian letters.
Do the same in the original Decap Attack and you'll find another variant of the same font but with only English letters (plus maybe Japanese letters but not for sure).

Copy the English font to the Russian font exactly where the font begins.
Run the modified Russian rom. Do screenshots of the nonsensical English text that appears.
Search that nonsensical English text in the Russian rom and you'll probably find it.

Assuming you know Russian (which is in the Shift-JIS set), you could try using WindHex (with Unicode support on) to try and create a Russian table file so that the text shows in russian in the hex editor.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 03:26:33 am »
It seems all you really need is a hex editor which supports table (TBL) files using either UTF-8 or ISO-8859-5 encoding, so that you can use cyrillic writing in your table file and see the text appear correctly in your hex editor.

Using a dummy TBL file to read nonsensical text sounds as hard as editing raw HEX in my opinion.

Also there is no such thing as "english letters" or "russian letters".