News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hacking Yggdra Union: Where to start for changing graphics (and other things)?  (Read 2674 times)

Sami-Fire

• View Profile
Hello! I would like to see if I can hack Yggdra Union for the GBA, starting with the graphics (particularly importing my own sprites and character portraits). I've opened my ROM in both TileLayer Pro and NLZ-GBA Advance but have not been able to find anything recognizable aside from what might be a few map tiles in NLZ-GBA Advance and some very fragmented scraps of character sprites in TLP. How can I make it so that the graphics appear in at least a somewhat coherent fashion?

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to edit in-game text and possibly also edit the levels but am not sure where to start for those (hex editing of each individual letter and map time, I'm guessing). Any pointers on how to get off the ground would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:53:37 pm by Sami-Fire »

Malias

• View Profile
The graphics are most likely compressed.  I'd try one of the decompression utilities on this site and see if anything shows up.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

FAST6191

• View Profile
I did once do something with the graphics but I can not really recall anything about it at this point.
What I am more here to say is this is one of the few titles to use the 256Mbit of space so you might have some trouble finding new space for things, from what I recall it should not be as bad as what those doing Mother 3 faced.

PixelHero

• View Profile
Most of the graphics are uncompressed, you can see them with TLP, but only the ones that are in 4Bpp (the game uses 8Bpp images too).
So, for better results, use Crystal Tile 2 and go to $67D348 to see them.

You can use LZ77Restructor2 to see the compressed graphics. If you deactivate the option "filters/with pointers only", you can see some leftovers from the japanese version.

Crystal Tile 2: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/818/
LZ77Restructor 2: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/973/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:16:28 am by PixelHero »

Sami-Fire

• View Profile
Thanks for pointing me to those utilities! Unfortunately, I'm still not getting coherent graphics; only a mess of multicolored pixels and occasionally a slice of a unit sprite. What settings are you using to get the graphics all in one piece like that?

pablitox

• View Profile
For what i can remember, to make graphics look like that in crystaltile 2 i used a combinayion of ctrl plus arrow jeys or ctrl shift alt and arrow keys, find the combination that makes the image visible
Re taking hajimari no ishi!