News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Patch applying application for Android?  (Read 4350 times)

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
Patch applying application for Android?
« on: February 06, 2015, 01:44:56 am »
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a functional IPS patch application capable of running on Android.  Specifically on a Kindle Fire tablet.  I have tried UniPatcher but it failed to launch.  My current gaming setup is a Kindle Fire HDX with a Bluetooth remote.  As it is right now I have to do all of my rom patching on a PC and then transfer the patched roms to my tablet.  It would be very convenient to be able to download and apply patches on my tablet.

Seihen

• View Profile
Re: Patch applying application for Android?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 02:53:17 am »
Considering that many patches are provided in zip files themselves, and that there are no patching programs even on PC (to the best of my knowledge) that will patch a rom (zipped or otherwise) from a zipped IPS file, and that the Kindle Fire doesn't really give you all that much access to the file system, I'm gonna say 'probably not,' but your best bet may be looking to see if there are any emulators which support 'hot-patching' of just having the patch in the same folder as the rom.

That might be a better way to start looking.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 08:31:39 am »
I have full access to the file system and can open compressed files as well as duplicate any files I intend to patch.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:19:51 am »
Download an app from the store called UniPatcher.
It's free and it patches any ROMs you have in the mobile using IPS files.

Just be sure to have a UNRAR app or something on the vein of that so you can extract the IPS, and then use UniPatcher to apply the patch to the ROM.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:42:45 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 05:35:13 pm »
Aaaand... ShadowOne333 is a god! Apparently there is an app.

Well, good luck!

Nagato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 06:28:34 pm »
A friend of mine maintains this ROM patching app, generically named ROM Patcher. I've never used it but it seems to support a lot of patch types and add more when requested.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 11:21:58 pm »
Download an app from the store called UniPatcher.
It's free and it patches any ROMs you have in the mobile using IPS files.

Just be sure to have a UNRAR app or something on the vein of that so you can extract the IPS, and then use UniPatcher to apply the patch to the ROM.

Thanks for the suggestion but UniPatcher doesn't appear to launch properly on the Kindle.  The Amazon app store doesn't have UniPatcher so I had to find a download link at an APK site.  Amazon blocks google play store which is pretty lame IMO.  I get around it by downloading apps on my phone then running an app called App Back up Restore (or something to that effect).  It creates an APK file which I transfer over to my Kindle via PC.  It's possible that I don't have the latest version of UniPatcher, I'll have to look into it.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 11:37:05 pm »
Latest version I have is the January 12th update version 0.7.3
Is that the one you got?

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 09:59:54 pm »
I went ahead and used my phone to download the latest version of UniPatcher and transfer the APK  to my Kindle tablet.  So far so good, it launches without crashing.  I must have had an older build.  I also downloaded another Rom patching app, literally called "Rom Patcher".  Once I get around to testing these apps out I'll post some results (for Kindle Fire compatibility).  :thumbsup:

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 01:41:53 am »
I just wanted to confirm Unipatcher 0.7.3 works (so far) seamlessly on the Kindle Fire HDX.

If anyone else uses a tablet for retro gaming it's pretty convenient to be able to D/L patches and apply them without a pc getting in between.

Add a Bluetooth controller and a decent set of emulators and it's an ideal setup IMO.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 12:37:55 pm »
I just wanted to confirm Unipatcher 0.7.3 works (so far) seamlessly on the Kindle Fire HDX.

If anyone else uses a tablet for retro gaming it's pretty convenient to be able to D/L patches and apply them without a pc getting in between.

Add a Bluetooth controller and a decent set of emulators and it's an ideal setup IMO.

Yep, so far UniPatcher seems like the best option for applying IPS patches to ROMs in an Android device.
And yes, I agree, a bluetooth controller along with emulators seems like the best catch!

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 10:34:03 pm »

I really, really like my Xperia Play phone, so much so I bought a couple of spare ones (Unsold sealed ones, thankfully) to replace my current unit when it dies. Kind of a shame it flopped as hard as it did.

After tweaking and perfecting the ever-loving shit out of my custom kernel/OS setup the past couple of years it supports these systems very well.

p.s. I also use Unipatcher.