News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Request for removing one of my hacks from the database  (Read 3934 times)

puzzledude

• View Profile
Request for removing one of my hacks from the database
« on: February 05, 2015, 01:45:57 pm »
Recently hyper negative criticism has been made on one of the You tube chanels regarding the hack Zelda3 Parallel Remodel.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/956/

So I as the author request for it to be removed from the Romhacking database (already flagged it as non compliant).

I'm willing to bet that your overall opinion on this remake is going to be crap piled on crap, sprinkled with crap, lit with crap 0/10 why does this piece of crap exist? What I have witnessed in your l.p. thus far is a complete and utter DEATH of what the original was, and I really don't know what else to say.

I can only assume that Parallel Remodel was made just to mock people who complained of the originals difficulty, I find it very hard to believe he was serious with this.

Whoever made this quest should be kicked in the face multiple times and never be allowed to make a quest ever again.

Ayuh...this remake should not exist indeed. The one or two good levels just could not salvage this mess...methinks the author was not trying very hard when he created this...it's obvious now he was stuck on a linear path lined with Beamos, leading to bright rooms of failure?

You actually found a bug. You were supposed to be able to get the L4 sword as soon as you enter the winter world! Seriously, fuck this remake.

It would seem that the author really loves linear paths, and vapid game play.

So after what I said about assuming this was just made as a joke to mock people and sadly from what I can tell it appears this was quite serious.

The Parallel Tower of the Parallel Remodel is a sad reimagining of what was an incredible climb. This is the moment the entire game builds up to? The Maiden's secrets in this version are worthless. The entire 7F was Empty Rooms, not even enemies. At least make some clear all enemies or Something. The sad part, the abysmally sad part is that Ganon's Tower is A Lot more difficult than this. This is a veritable joke!

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Request for removing one of my hacks from the database
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 02:03:18 pm »
Recently hyper negative criticism has been made on one of the You tube chanels regarding the hack Zelda3 Parallel Remodel.

Someone doesn't like your stuff, boohoo. The opinion of random people on the internet doesn't make a hack non-compliant for RHDN.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

bailli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 02:20:51 pm »
I have to admit I have neither played your hack nor the original Parallel Worlds hack, but I know these two comics:

http://xkcd.com/202/
http://xkcd.com/481/

So keep your hack (and video!) up!

(I hope linking this is not against the rules.)

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 03:00:13 pm »
There are bound to be people like that with 25k downloads. If you don't agree with any of the criticism, or if any is too trivial for a revisit, you shouldn't concern yourself with these people.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 03:13:57 pm »
Someone doesn't like your stuff, boohoo. The opinion of random people on the internet doesn't make a hack non-compliant for RHDN.
Speaking objectively (since I did not make the overworld or gfx editing or ASM for this game) the overworld is best thing, that ever happened to Alttp editing. I doubt, that if Nintendo would make a sequel of Alttp back in the 90s, that the overworld could be done better than this, specially due to multiple new gfx and palettes used. And the extensive ASM written for the new snow overlays in the dark world could be a challange for every programer.

Sure there are some weak links in the game, but I'm just trying to understand how someone can come to such a grotesque unobjective oppinion. Furthermore, when the original PW was introduced to the public, it was similarly targeted due to its hyper difficulty.
-----

Maybe I should just write a seminar entitled: The life of a romhacker. Main guidelines: if you make a technologically a marble hack, it will do you no good, if you fail at gameplay. If you make a game to difficult, they will hate it (example PW), if you make it easier, they will still hate it (example PR).

Sooner or later someone will cart you hack and make money on your account, while the original authors will hate you for that and hunt you down, but you will be depressed, since someone is making money based on your work.

At the end of the day you are all at once: hunted, dissed at and regarded as a criminal (since you are "hacking" foreign intelectual property). Conclusion: don't romhack and your life will be better.

That's what you get for being to smart to be able to edit roms and simply loving the game and the work, that rom modding brings.

I have to admit I have neither played your hack nor the original Parallel Worlds hack, but I know these two comics.
There are bound to be people like that with 25k downloads. If you don't agree with any of the criticism, or if any is too trivial for a revisit, you shouldn't concern yourself with these people.

Nice. Made my day.

Want to hear something irronic: once I wanted to view a music video of someone who won on some talent show: after 2 days, the video was erased, due to its "violation of the rules" ie. uploading copyrighted material owned by a local TV station which organized the show.

At the same time someone uploaded a video on You tube of 7 guys beating up a chinese guy. They were all basically children (around 15 years old). There were obvious signs of rasism and similar nationalistical remarks (spoken during the "incident"). According to the You tube law there was no direct reason for removing the video, since it was "copyrighted" by the uploader.

The video was eventually removed, not by You tube admins (they thought nothing was wrong with it) and not by the police (they did not have the rights to do that), but by the uploader himself being scared when the cops show up on his doorstep.

Something is seriously wrong with You tube. I know how to make this world a better place, stay away from You tube.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 04:02:01 pm »
To hell with what some jackoffs say on youtube.

I personally loved PR.  Although I enjoy PW as well,  It's difficulty (combined with losing my save file from my comp dying  :banghead: ) caused me to never gettting to finish it.

But PR toned down that difficulty juuuust enough (in most places) to where I had a good challenge, but I could for the most play entirely without save states.  Hell my mom's even played through it, twice!  :o

Only thing I didn't really go through was the 2nd quest. In fact I might just play through that when I'm not messing with FF4.

So don't let some angry nerdtards cause you to doubt yourself or your project. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who couldn't finish PW, but will end up coming across PR and finally see those roll credits. And that, my friend, cannot happen if PR's not on RDHN.  ;)
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 09:53:17 pm »
Speaking objectively (since I did not make the overworld or gfx editing or ASM for this game) the overworld is best thing, that ever happened to Alttp editing. I doubt, that if Nintendo would make a sequel of Alttp back in the 90s, that the overworld could be done better than this, specially due to multiple new gfx and palettes used. And the extensive ASM written for the new snow overlays in the dark world could be a challange for every programer.

Sure there are some weak links in the game, but I'm just trying to understand how someone can come to such a grotesque unobjective oppinion. Furthermore, when the original PW was introduced to the public, it was similarly targeted due to its hyper difficulty.
-----

You do realize that this fellow who made that video played through the original Parallel Worlds, got 100% and found everything, right? His grievances were well founded. Compared to the original Parallel Worlds, Parallel Remodel is Lacking. The Overworld is still the same and fantastic, but the dungeons are even easier than ALttP's own.

Not only did he play Parallel Worlds he also played your Vastly better Goddess of Wisdom and loved it. So he was reasonably disappointed for your seeming lack of effort in Parallel Remodel.

I have played Parallel Worlds, watched his LP's of both games, and of Goddess of Wisdom. Aside from some good dungeon changes in Rauru's Ruins and Ruto's Fortress the game is literally a linear path and the Parallel Tower is lacking in any "oomph!" that it had in the original.

Do not misunderstand me, I applaud your efforts, but it seems you stopped halfway and unfortunately it comes off as even easier than the original ALttP, with Ganon's Tower being more difficult than the Parallel Tower (Also Ganon not breaking the floor anymore, but that was an issue with the original PW as well)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:59:42 pm by Grimoire LD »

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 10:59:18 pm »
puzzledude, there are always lots of people with opinions about everything. Strangely, the people who have few skills or accomplishments of their own seem to feel most qualified to tell everyone else "you're doing it wrong".

It's natural to feel crestfallen when someone criticizes something you put a lot of effort into, but you shouldn't worry what loudmouths say. Instead, be true to your own artistic tastes. If you feel your work is worthy, then there are others who agree with you. They are your audience.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 01:10:23 am »
Not to sound shallow, but I think it's a fun game. I wrote a negative review of Parallel Worlds a year or two ago but not the Remodel. LOL Who cares what some stupid assholes think. I think you made that game playable. Get a grip please. I'd hate to see your work suffer because of this.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 09:53:00 am »
puzzledude, there are always lots of people with opinions about everything. Strangely, the people who have few skills or accomplishments of their own seem to feel most qualified to tell everyone else "you're doing it wrong".

It's natural to feel crestfallen when someone criticizes something you put a lot of effort into, but you shouldn't worry what loudmouths say. Instead, be true to your own artistic tastes. If you feel your work is worthy, then there are others who agree with you. They are your audience.
...The fellow who reviewed it in this manner (the comments on the videos are filled with a bit more vitriol, but that's not the LPer's doing.) has a lot under his belt along with a rather successful Zelda Classic game which is highly unique and takes some inspiration from the original Parallel Worlds.

I suggest people should stop looking at the comments and just watch the LP. He addresses the game in a very fair light (much fairer than us commenters, I'm still convinced its easier than original ALttP) and all in all gave it a 5.5.

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 02:36:52 pm »
I was not commenting on any specific person, but since you quoted me, I will offer my OPINION on the specific person's remarks. I don't need to watch his let's-play to know his comments are indefensible. There is nothing constructive about his criticism; it is designed to demean and ridicule. Such immature antics may earn views among YouTube's sub-culture of angry young morons, but they are repugnant in any sort of reasonable context.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 09:52:10 pm »
I was not commenting on any specific person, but since you quoted me, I will offer my OPINION on the specific person's remarks. I don't need to watch his let's-play to know his comments are indefensible. There is nothing constructive about his criticism; it is designed to demean and ridicule. Such immature antics may earn views among YouTube's sub-culture of angry young morons, but they are repugnant in any sort of reasonable context.

Pardon? Those Aren't his comments. They're comments made by people on the videos (one by me, in regards to it being easier than ALttP, because it seems it is), his personal commentary is fairly balanced. For instance here is his final review...

Overall: 5 - 5.5/10
(If I treat this strictly as a comparison to Parallel Worlds, without the gameplay and story buffers, 3.5 / 10)

Graphics/Sound: 9/10
* Same as Parallel Worlds
* No darkness in this version

Story: Same as Parallel Worlds

Gameplay: 4/10
+ One game-breaking bug removed from the Impa's Ways Moldorm fight
+ The puzzles from Ruto's Fortress flow better
+ Several redundant minibosses removed
* Sheik's Hideout and Rauru's Ruins arguably the same or better than their older counterparts (and maybe only in light of the other dungeons)
* Light World difficulty is "Baby's first Zelda game" level
- The difficulty changes seem to be inconsistently used - the Light World dungeons are easy, but bosses like Mothula in Level 1 (hits for 2 hearts of damage) are left alone, giving the player a confused perspective of what the difficulty actually should be. This is in comparison to the original Parallel Worlds that made sure the player knew from start to finish that they were not going to get a free victory, and that if they wanted aid, they had to ante up some tricks to get it (e.g. the Halls of Pain).
* Non-linearity of Icy World dungeon order removed
* Some dungeon items moved around to account for the new order of dungeons, with some dungeon items seemingly randomly thrown in certain dungeons or not really aiding the dungeon gimmick (if it had one) (Note that the original was also guilty of this a couple times, but that it added to the non-linearity of the Icy World as someone could do Darunia's Cavern, for example, get the Cane of Somaria, and take it to Ruto's Fortress to make the statue puzzles easier. This convenience is mandatory in this version, so why bother having the statue puzzle in Saria's Garden? If the player forgets they have the Cane?)
* Star switches are sometimes randomly added to indicate the presence of a secret, treasure chest, maze path, key, etc
- A lot of dungeons have "run through rooms" gameplay where nothing is really happening
- The changed Impa's Ways has literally nothing to do except walk on curved paths; there are no enemies whatsoever except the boss
- Being able to beat Nabooru's Hole is entirely dependent on the player's number of Heart Containers and Bottles, and whether they obtained the Cane of Byrna; if they have too low of a number or equipment, the game is unwinnable (being able to get the Blue Mail doesn't matter, as the spike damage is fixed to 1 heart) (Punishing a player for not exploring simply tells them to explore more, but in this case the player would not even be able to go back and explore, as they don't have the equipment to get into the Parallel Tower to return to the Light World.)
- Entire level gimmicks are gone (e.g. Nabooru's Hole, Darunia's Cavern, Parallel Tower)
- Almost every dungeon is reduced to a long, winding path with next to no exploration or deviation, including the Parallel Tower. Since this happens, some of the dungeons are almost played exactly the same, just with a different palette / background. (Nabooru's Hole, Darunia's Cavern, Parallel Tower trio again.)
- The Parallel Tower itself, since the whole game builds to it and it is ultimately just another linear rush; the main gimmick of the original game no longer has a daunting presence and the hints ultimately seem useless when compared to how the originals were used
* Removing the Optional Hard Puzzle serves no purpose, as it was optional to begin with. The player is also expected to use dashing over pits earlier in the game, which was the gimmick of the puzzle anyway. Confusing change.
* The bomb jumping was removed, though, and several trips trhough the tower are not required
* All the keys are contained in the tower now, as opposed to 3 in the Overworld (since the player does the tower once in this game, there is not "three in each world" either)
- Key placement seems extremely lazy at points (not just in the Parallel Tower), sometimes the Big Chest Key literally being a single room away from a small key just picked up; there is also sometimes no challenge or deviation to finding these keys; you just happen to pick them up as you wander by. What would be the point of the keys then if they're just on your way?
* Ganon cannot break the floor anymore. This may seem nit-picky, but if the trouble with the Ganon fight was the darkness, why not just remove the darkness like in the rest of the quest?

As I said, I have deep respect for Puzzledude, his Goddess of Wisdom mod is extraordinary, but this seems like he gave up halfway. Dungeon gimmicks are replaced with nothing meaningful, non-linearity of the original Parallel Worlds (and ALttP) is all but gone. It is a great start, but it comes off more as a demo since it is rather empty (dungeon wise, the overworld is the same and is easily one of the highlights of both versions), the dungeons are very straightforward and the difficulty was nixed to nearly nothing in many cases.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 02:34:14 am »
This attitude reminds me of the Bad Inventions series, which was well recieved, to the point where Kirkflip had plans for a spinoff called "Bad Inventions Inc." (The teaser he posted is no longer available.) Then "Bad Inventions 5" came out and got backlash, causing him to end the series.

I'd say your biggest mistake is trying to update a locked hack by someone else. What you should have done is collaborate with the original authors to make a more polished version of Parallel Remodel.