News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda A Link to the Past Treasure Contents  (Read 2032 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Zelda A Link to the Past Treasure Contents
« on: January 24, 2015, 10:59:57 pm »
I have a hack/mod I'd like to do just for my own use. What I want to do (in theory) seems like it would be relatively simple. I've played through ALttP what seems like a million times since it came out and I want to make a few changes just to mix things up on my next playthrough. Assuming it doesn't break the game somehow I'd like to place a few extra chests in Link's house or somewhere nearby so I could start the game with: Pegasus Boots, the Cane of Somaria and the Magic Cape. I want the boots so I can get throught the boring early part of the game a lot quicker. Yes, I know you get them pretty early on but remember, I've played this game a MILLION times. The other items come into the game so late you don't really get to use them all that much. I'd like to see what fun i could have with them.

Anyway, I'm assuming that this could be done with Hyrule Magic but I can't seem to figure out how to alter the contents of the chests.

Actually, if it's possible to make a few simple hex edits and have the Pegasus Boots appear in the chest that already exists in Link's house I would find this equally acceptable but I don't know where to find the info for this stuff. As popular as this game is I'm assuming that someone has already located this type of data.

I know cheat codes could probably achieve a similar effect in the end but I can only use Game Genie codes and they have to be ones that will work on real hardware (because it seems that some only work on emulators).

Any suggestions?
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

puzzledude

• View Profile
Re: Zelda A Link to the Past Treasure Contents
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 12:43:12 pm »
Alttp Bible (currently in alpha/beta form, but still very useful)
that has all the current known info on hacking this game:

A product of Zeldix forum and its "masterminds"
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/siqee8nwehhhqd0/Zelda3%20Compendium%20v1.8.4.pdf?dl=0

I'd like to place a few extra chests in Link's house or somewhere nearby so I could start the game with: Pegasus Boots, the Cane of Somaria and the Magic Cape.

Anyway, I'm assuming that this could be done with Hyrule Magic but I can't seem to figure out how to alter the contents of the chests. Pegasus Boots, the Cane of Somaria and the Magic Cape.
Yes, it can be done with Hyrule Magic. The easiest was for you to do that, is to open Alttp in HM and open up indoors and remove some chests in a random cave, which has 4 chests with 20 rupees. Now you can add 4 chests in your house. Then click on them and press the + on the keyboard to change the content of the chest.

Note: it is difficult to expand the number of chests, but it was already decoded over at Zeldix. We found the way how to expand any indoors data: chests, items (=stuff under jars), sprites, bg data etc, number of pushable blocks etc. But it is not recomended to change this, since the rom is then no longer compatible with HM. So it is better to remove some chests first and add them on new locations.

Alternative: you can hack the srm starting save, so that Link already starts with these items by default. I/We also decoded this already for all possible inventory items. No new chests are needed then.

Assuming the file has NO-header,
go to 274D8 in hex and change the 00 to 01, = start with the Cape by default,
go to 274D6 in hex and change 00 to 01, = start with Cane of Somaria by default,
go to 274DB in hex and change 00 to 01, = Pegasus boots in inventory (no running yet)
go to 274FF in hex and change F8 to FE, = turn on running with Pegasus boots

you can play some more:
go to 274F4 = green magic start, 00= zero, 10=one eigth, 40= half, 80=full
go to 274F2 = heart containers: 18 18 is 3 hearts, 20 20 is 4 hearts, 28 28 is 5 hearts etc

Actually, if it's possible to make a few simple hex edits and have the Pegasus Boots appear in the chest that already exists in Link's house I would find this equally acceptable but I don't know where to find the info for this stuff. As popular as this game is I'm assuming that someone has already located this type of data.
Yes we have located this data and lots more of it. Smart choise to change the Lamp in your house to Pegasus boots, since the Lamp will than be in the cellar where the Uncle is at(automatically, since this is a special chest= Lamp, alternate is 5 rupees).
This is a simple edit with HM, click on the chest and hold + until the Lamp is changed into Boots. You can make a copy of the rom first and then hex compare the 2 files, if you wish to know where this is in hex, but there is no need.

Mandatory reading: The guide for Hyrule Magic has all this info already in it.

Guide for Hyrule Magic
http://www.romhacking.net/documents/314/

Hyrule Magic Program
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/200/

Recomended to visit
http://www.zeldix.net/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:49:29 pm by puzzledude »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda A Link to the Past Treasure Contents
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 03:53:43 pm »
hehe That was fun. I'm glad forums like this exist to help people out. I had no idea that + was how you changed the treasure contents. I was having trouble adding chests (it seemed the + method for changing contents was no longer cooperating afterwards) so instead I changed the chest in Link's house to have the boots, the chest that originally had the boomerang to have the red boomerang and the three chests in the room behind sahasrahla to have the cape and both canes. It's not exactly related to this but I also used the patch that replaces Link with the female BS-X mascot. :)

On a personal note: It's kinda funny. For the longest time I was almost afraid to make any changes, use any codes or play any hacks of this game because I couldn't stand the thought of it being any different than how I had always played it. Even referring to the early part of the game as "boring" in my previous post made me feel a bit weird afterwards. LOL I just love it that much. I first played it not long after it came out on the SNES and I still think it's one of the best games ever. Not much compares to it in my opinion. Even after playing hundreds of games on countless systems. But, after fiddling around a bit and observing other hacks I kinda want to make my own. Maybe a new version of the game like GoW or PW but with a female lead.

Oh yeah. Thanks for your help.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.