News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man has been successfully converted to Mapper 5: MMC5  (Read 4162 times)

RetroRain

• View Profile
Mega Man has been successfully converted to Mapper 5: MMC5
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:31:31 pm »
Isn't it nice when other people inspire and motivate you?  Thanks to infidelity, I was inspired and motivated to convert Mega Man to Mapper 5: MMC5, and I did it all by myself! :D

This is my first Mapper 5 conversion, and it was successful! :)

Patch and readme included inside the zip file.

Download
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=4796

This patch is for the English version, Mega Man, not the Japanese version, Rock Man.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:42:53 pm by Rockman »

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: Mega Man has been successfully converted to Mapper 5: MMC5
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:38:36 pm »
Have you tried re-routing the Pulse Channel data to the MMC5-specific channels in order to circumvent that infamous Game Genie effect?

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 08:40:46 pm »
Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the game initialize the regular sound channels correctly instead?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 08:46:58 pm »
I've always been curious about these mapper hacks. Do they make the game function any differently/better or are they done simply as a platform for people to make more complex hacks if they so choose?
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:59:28 pm »
AFAIK you get more space to work on hacks...
Done your packing?, your life journey is over...

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 10:27:38 pm »
pretty much what omega said.
More programming/graphics space so you can have more graphics and coding space.

The actual mmc5 mapper functions are only if a person knows what they are, and how they work and if they want to use them in their hack or not. (again only if that person actually has advanced knowledge already about the mapper)

And no it does not change megaman 1 (or any game) in any shape/way/form than it originally was outside of that. The game will still work 100% perfectly as it was before ever doing such thing.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:06:13 pm »
Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the game initialize the regular sound channels correctly instead?

It's an initialization problem? I thought it was due to some byte in the Music Handler having the same identity & address as the intended target in another bank, thus validating the checksum and turning the entire soundtrack into the theme from Grey's Anatomy.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 03:28:29 am »
Are you able to redirect the sound effects to extended Square 1 and Square 2 channels, so that music continues to play when sound effects are played ? That is honestly the only application of a "MMC5 hack" that would come to my mind.

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 12:10:20 pm »
sure that's possible. But it'd take alot of work. The programming in the music engine would have to be re-written or edited a bit before that could even be possible though.

Matrixz once before modified the megaman 3-6 sound format to do just that. (not mm1 or 2 though because those are totally different music format)

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 01:16:34 pm »
It's an initialization problem? I thought it was due to some byte in the Music Handler having the same identity & address as the intended target in another bank, thus validating the checksum and turning the entire soundtrack into the theme from Grey's Anatomy.

As far as I'm aware, the entire problem is that Mega Man's (as well as Mega Man 2 and possibly others) sound routine expects the pulse sweep registers (and possibly others) to be in a specific state on boot and the Game Genie putting them in a different state for its own audio. Your suggestion would only make sense if it were specific GG codes causing problems for a specific game, and not something that is common to several of Capcom's games both with and without any codes.