News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translation of Far East of Eden Zero  (Read 6958 times)

olafhuber

• View Profile
Translation of Far East of Eden Zero
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:07:20 pm »
Hi,

anyone knows if LostTemplar will start again on its translation of Far East of Eden Zero?
As I recall he did not start to hack it because Byuu wanted to do a technical superior version of the hack and Tom translated all game texts already.

But it seems Byuu will not finish the project since he canceled higan/bsnes and all other stuff besides learning japanese. (source his homepage, article "depression")
No mention of the project on his new board too...

It would be a shame if this game will not be translated, waited so long :(

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: Translation of Far East of Eden Zero
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:37:57 pm »
About byuu ...You said he cancelled all his other stuff, and it's indeed not there, so I guess that's it. If he doesn't want to talk about it anymore (and as I found out, erased the game's thread), no need to press him further on it.

It's safe to assume this game is cursed. It has been in the works since DeJap in 1999 then Yonin Translations who just vanished with most of their work. LostTemplar then begun working on a German translation with the help of those who reverse engineered the chip hardware and helped him figure out the decompression. Tom offered to do the English translation (which is now finished and all story text inserted - menus and credits are not) He entrusted byuu with his work and to distribute it to anyone interested for other languages. That... didn't go quite as expected.

It's translated in Chinese since ages. Recently with the advent of that special chip emulation some more graphics were translated. And that's it.

Tried since a year and a half to get in touch with all parties I knew of involved for the special graphic decompression hardware tools needed to do anything with these game graphics to do a translation for another language and never heard back no matter hard I tried. But I still have the (very illegal) graphical packs that used to be distributed to make this game work with Snes9X 1.41, and I have been finding some degree of success finally... at the cost of shitty emulation, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm not working on an English version though.

I'll say just that. It's entirely possible to translate all story text (uncompressed font) and menu text (using the ROM kanji font area to store an alternative small font/pre-baked long names.. to replace the 8x8 font the game decompresses with its obtuse scheme) and the battle interface stuff if you're feeling generous and there's space left by the text (which will be compressed heavily by the hacker, it goes without saying - rom can't be expanded more) in this game, without resorting to those graphical decompression tools. Loads of Japanese graphics (often used in-game: shop signs, mecha fight omonatepia, title screen, other stuff) needed won't be translated this way - but at this rate it's not a choice (it can be subtitled with the regular font). A sub-par translation is better than nothing.

I feel sorry for you OP. Hopefully someone other than byuu's team releases an English translation in text form covering even only key scenes - this game deserves all the exposure it can get. I recommend you check the Shounen Jump version too since that one has exclusive buildings and places.

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:18:55 am »
Byuu said he will finish this translation, but he donĀ“t know when.
He said that even if someone release a translation he will still finish his translation, because he gave his word to Tom.

And seems that byuu wants to release the normal translation and a MSU-1 translation, so wait for a very beautifull translation.
But probably several years from now.

But indeed this game is cursed.

Dejap touched this game and died.
Yonin touched this game and died.
LostTemplar touched this game and died.
Byuu touched this game and gave up emulation and romhacking. I hope he breaks this curse and release this translation.

Taking LostTemplar as example, the last time he entered this forum was October-2013, just by the time he was working in FEOEZ. He was a very active member of this forum and suddenly vanished. This is a proof that this game is really cursed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:25:43 am by Dgdiniz »

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:26:24 pm »
You can always ask the chinese hackers and see how they done it despite the majority of stuff they use to translate the games are hacking the Bios completely or using certain official SDK tools (which i've heard is illegal) but hey it seems that's how it gets the job finished quickly. ;)

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:28:41 pm »
You can always ask the chinese hackers and see how they done it despite the majority of stuff they use to translate the games are hacking the Bios completely or using certain official SDK tools (which i've heard is illegal) but hey it seems that's how it gets the job finished quickly. ;)

Asking the Chinese would be troublesome because of the language barrier and the translation being released ages ago (who would you even ask?). And frankly, the main text font is the one thing that's not using the special format. The item menus seem to be compressed but they just put that font in the rom and had the game pull that font instead of decompressing stuff. It's enough for a translation by many publishers standards (like Namco and Gods Eater Burst)

Everything else (the part requiring the graphical decompression) was left in Japanese. Or kanji that can be also read as hanzi to be accurate. Those remaining graphics have been however decompressed from real hardware by DeJap (like with Star Ocean, btw) and distributed as graphical packs compatible with ZSNES and Snes9X, and in that form they are much more accessible and editable (at the cost of legality not being 100% anymore). That was DeJap's initial solution too.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:54:06 pm »

Translating Japanese into Chinese, from a technical perspective, is a lot easier than translating it into English. The space requirements are roughly similar, but from a data perspective and a screenspace perspective, and the boxy monospace fonts that Japanese games use works fairly well with Chinese stuff. The only time it'd arguably be harder is when the text is 8x8 (or 8x16, depending on how it was handled on a technical level), but Tengai Makyo has thousands of kanji. You'd still have to do the majority of the same sort of hacking to get the game from Chinese into English as you would if you were trying to translate it from Japanese into English.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 07:54:55 pm »
Translating Japanese into Chinese, from a technical perspective, is a lot easier than translating it into English. The space requirements are roughly similar, but from a data perspective and a screenspace perspective, and the boxy monospace fonts that Japanese games use works fairly well with Chinese stuff. The only time it'd arguably be harder is when the text is 8x8 (or 8x16, depending on how it was handled on a technical level), but Tengai Makyo has thousands of kanji. You'd still have to do the majority of the same sort of hacking to get the game from Chinese into English as you would if you were trying to translate it from Japanese into English.
Well that's true given how alot of people in the west unfamiliar with the Japanese language easily gets confused with Chinese characters/symbols  also the fact the text boxs are similar giving the hackers less work to deal with compared to translating text and certain graphics in English.

Btw, i have a quick question um if someone where to translate a Visual Novel/Adventure Text game for the Super Famicom and every text were vertical how does one do it? Other than having to hack the text to horizontal form

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:05:16 pm »
Btw, i have a quick question um if someone where to translate a Visual Novel/Adventure Text game for the Super Famicom and every text were vertical how does one do it? Other than having to hack the text to horizontal form

Other than having to hack the text printing? The same way they'd hack any other game. Without hacking the text printing? They don't.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 11:27:35 pm »
Other than having to hack the text printing? The same way they'd hack any other game. Without hacking the text printing? They don't.
oh i see, okay cool just double checking.. i thought it'll be more difficult or awkward looking if it were to be done? Even though the end results would have the game turned out to a completely different product than it's original.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 11:42:04 pm »
There could be a few annoying things about hacking those.
Like if a game uses 16x16 tile mode or tilemap scrolling. But those would be game-specific problems to work out.
Then again, VNs are probably using a kanji (and thus probably non-tilemapped) font, so the difference from a standard 8x8 tile mode is probably trivial.

(I remember hacking Battle Zeque Den and I was probably just lucky that AFAIK nothing but the intro uses the BG3 scrolling function (used by the HUD in-game) so it was safe to hack the scroll direction)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 03:04:41 pm »
There could be a few annoying things about hacking those.
Like if a game uses 16x16 tile mode or tilemap scrolling. But those would be game-specific problems to work out.
Then again, VNs are probably using a kanji (and thus probably non-tilemapped) font, so the difference from a standard 8x8 tile mode is probably trivial.

(I remember hacking Battle Zeque Den and I was probably just lucky that AFAIK nothing but the intro uses the BG3 scrolling function (used by the HUD in-game) so it was safe to hack the scroll direction)
Ah i see, so certain games uses BG modes? Hmm,. interesting though the ones i play are normal text processions and not entirely based on in-game graphics. (AFAIK) I would love how's is done someday as an example.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 03:08:04 pm »
Ah i see, so certain games uses BG modes? Hmm,. interesting though the ones i play are normal text processions and not entirely based on in-game graphics. (AFAIK) I would love how's is done someday as an example.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 03:21:13 pm »

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 12:56:40 pm »
Searched some infos about how the project was going and found that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0MTxz8pXzs

A video posted by Tom during the last summer.

@DougRPG : You are wrong about LostTemplar. He stopped his project to let Byuu do it's own. He, then, dissapeared a while ago but he had already stopped to work on the english version since a long while.