News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Using MSU with Higan  (Read 7221 times)

Lance

• View Profile
Using MSU with Higan
« on: January 19, 2015, 01:46:12 pm »
I downloaded the Megaman X music hack and I don't know how to use higan for it to play the new music. Everytime I load the ROM it defaults to the original soundtrack.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Using MSU with Higan
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:34 am »
Quote from: The Readme
WARNING:  THIS PATCH WILL ONLY WORK ON A v1.1 US ROM!
Are you using that?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:55:54 pm »
My first thought would be more related to his setup than the ROM he's using (if he mispatched, the ROM would likely be corrupt and unplayable.)

Do you recall the file structure higan uses?

This is where it gets tricky. Currently to play an MSU1 game in higan, it has to be in the game folder format. That will have a manifest.bml. That file names the ROM, RAM, MSU data and audio track filenames. It also tells you where the MSU registers map to. You could actually move them, and also eventually spawn as many MSU instances as you wanted.

So from a base perspective, the format you should distribute an MSU1 game in is:
Code:
game.sfc/
  manifest.bml [optional]
  game.sfc
  game.msu
  game-0.pcm
  game-1.pcm

To start, check that structure, and make sure everything besides the "manifest" file has the proper filenames ( .sfc and .msu file have identical filenames, and .pcm files labeled similarly and numbered in the correct order.)

Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:22:59 pm »
I neglected to put the actual rom in the same folder. Thanks!

Chris Miller

• View Profile
    • Armageddon Games Network
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 12:41:00 pm »
I realize this is an old topic, but I'm having an issue getting Link to the Past DX to work properly.  There is really no documentation to speak of on how to do this, but I got some general direction from a few Youtube comments.

I made absolutely certain to get the correct rom, expanded it to 1.5MB, and applied the patch.  I made sure the filename was correct as per the manifest.bml file.  Every file is in the same folder and accounted for as per the instructions here.

It will work in higan without any glitches, but the enhanced music will not play.  In case the expansion thing was just bs, I tried it on a non-expanded rom, no difference.

(Incidentally, the Mega Man X hack gave me the same grief a few months ago.  I eventually ragequit and deleted the whole thing.)

I'm using higan .094 64-bit if that makes a difference.  It wouldn't work in any version of bsnes I tried, so I doubt it.

There has to be some obscure thing I'm missing, one of those things that everybody knows about but never actually mentions at any point.

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:56:29 am »
Your problem is that there's two patches for the legend of zelda; the one with the expanded rom (is the one with the videos) is not here on this site!
The one you are using the DX (is in this site) you don't need to expand anything, If you still have problems I can give you my working folders, for the two legend of zelda MSU1.
BTW asides from the videos and played both, I think The DX have a better sound track and is the one to go.

On other notes the megaman X3 MSU1, posted in this site is incomplete and you can't make it to work, since there's no "mmx3_msu1.msu" file.
Since is and empty file, I used the one for MMX changed the name and It worked.

The quality varies from hack to hack, you can get gorgeous ones or a really bad ones.
Speaking of others MSU1 hacks, there's a DKC2 IMO is perfect, a Super Mario World that quite frankly is terrible! the top gear 2 that in real hardware the soundtrack is way off, but works like charm in emulators, a Beta for secret of mana
(wich I hope vivify93 can make it to work with is VWF expanded dialogue) and a Chrono trigger beta that plays the psx video .

And I agree with you; most of the notes are incomplete and is incredible hard to make it work.

Chris Miller

• View Profile
    • Armageddon Games Network
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 04:14:17 pm »
I tried it without expanding it as well, same problem.
If you could give me your folders, that would be great.  I'd really appreciate it.

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 09:16:27 am »
Ok I will send you my files, as I have them in SD2SNES as promise.