News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Odd Kanji, could someone tell me what this says?  (Read 2656 times)

Bob Liu

• View Profile
Odd Kanji, could someone tell me what this says?
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:04:15 am »
I'm very unsure on what this say's and neither does the internet at large. Although, the least I know is that it's something related to jujitsu, I think. Could someone help me out here?

唖離須外江夢

Seihen

• View Profile
Re: Odd Kanji, could someone tell me what this says?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:37:17 pm »
So, the best I can tell is that it's read ありすげえむ, or for those who many have noticed, Arisu Game (Alice Game). It's written using all kanji to look like it's some ancient Chinese word.
Sounds like it's a word that was made up by Ryukishi07 (link) for a visual novel series, Higurashi When They Cry (link). I don't think it's a real word with a real meaning, but he did provide a background for the word within the story, as written about on a tips page about the game (link). The page notes that this is all fictional, so don't take this as a real story.

Text for Arisu Game:
Quote from: Wikipedia
 古代中国においては、繰り返される戦乱により、武芸に秀でた者を一人でも多く見つけ出すことが急務とされていた。
 そのため、時の皇帝は唖離須外江夢と呼ばれる過酷な試練を課して、稀な才能を持つ武闘家の発掘に努めたという。

その余りの過酷さは、この試練に臨み生きて仕えることを許される者は百人に一人にも満たないと称されるほどであったという。

しかし、この試練の資格を与えられることは武闘家の誉れであり、唖離須外江夢への参加を申し伝える皇帝の使者を村をあげて歓迎したという。

なお、この使者は故事の伝統に則り、兎の面を被っていたと言われ、これにヒントを得たイギリスのルイス、キャロルが後に「不思議の国のアリス」を執筆することになるのだが、それが唖離須外江夢に由来することを知る者はほとんどいない。

民明書房刊「銀さまと乳酸菌」より

Is this from some game you're translating?

====English Translation====

Got bored, so here's the translation.

Quote from: Wikipedia
In ancient China, it was a task of the utmost urgency to find even just one more person skilled in the art of battle due to the continual conflicts.
Thus, it’s said that an emperor of the day put in place a rigorous trial known as arisu game to uncover warriors with unique talents.

The trial was so severe that it’s said that fewer than one out of every hundred which challenged it, would see it through.

However, being granted the title from this trial was an honor to any warrior, and those wishing to participate in the arisu game came to the emperor greeted the emperor’s messengers in droves.

In accordance with tradition, these messengers were said to wear rabbit masks, which Lewis Carroll would later use as a basis when he penned “Alice in Wonderland,” though few know that its origins lie in the arisu game.

From The People’s Book of Enlightenment “Of Silver and Lactic Acid”
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 04:22:24 am by Seihen »

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 04:22:12 pm »
Thanks man, that's exactly what I was looking for. Any yeah, it is for a game I'm translating, or should I say translated. There's only a few small things to tidy up and then it'll be finished, this being one of them. Also, how did you realize it was Alice game?

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 06:35:06 pm »
Well, the kanji usage was really weird (some of the kanji used are variants of more common ones), so obviously the person was going out of their way to make it obscure. That combined with the fact that I can't recall ever seeing an elongated e sound in Japanese made it a safe bet this was really supposed to be 'game.' It's also not totally unheard of in manga and games to use kanji to spell out English/loan-words, so you see it from time to time.

Unfortunately, it seems this isn't a super popular game, so there isn't much to be found from fans online discussing it, other than the same passage quoted over and over.

Good luck with the project!

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 08:14:40 am »
Its actually my first time even noticing some people do it, I'd be really stuck without your help, thanks a bunch. Anyhow, the game its for isn't so popular anymore, and this specific release was more or less a last attempt cash grab by the developer for those little left and interested. There's also actually only one or two places the game was discussed, the animesuki forum and even less so 4chan, in very little detail and depth may I add. Anyhow, thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it.