News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NES to Sega MD  (Read 6201 times)

JovanMer45

• View Profile
NES to Sega MD
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:24:54 pm »
Hello, I am new to the Board, but not the Site, and I just got one of those Gopher handheld emulators, which only support Sega MegaDrive Games in BIN format. Is there any way to port NES, or Even SNES games into Sega MD? I do know It is Possible as I have a Few NES and SNES games playing on there myself, but I just want to know how can I reprogram (Or something Similar) a game or ROM to play on SegaMD. Thanks.

tryphon

• View Profile
Re: NES to Sega MD
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:11:18 pm »
Short answer : no it isn't.

Long answer is mmeaningful only if you have good knowledge in coding.

JovanMer45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 01:20:11 pm »
The Folks at MetCons (Metroid Construction) say it is Possible... I know it is as I said Earlier, I have a few games on there myself. I have good knowledge with coding, but how different is it to code ROMs from J script or C?

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:48:57 pm »
Coding a whole game again from scratch, just because someone's retro emulation device is lacking features?
Get something with a more competent emulator.

Even the chinese bootleg devs would just make a single platformer and base all their "SNES/NES to MD" ports on just reskinning the main character and backgrounds and maybe level designs.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:10:49 pm »
but how different is it to code ROMs from J script or C?

Have you ever coded an emulator of a processor ?

If so, you did less than half of the work.

JovanMer45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 02:22:30 pm »
I dont mean Reprogramming the Whole game. I just mean modifying the values of a ROM to fit the MD. Or maybe just writing an Emulator for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-i5Ps918xM maybe modifying this might work.

Scio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 02:38:49 pm »
That's not how it works. You can't just change some values to convert a NES game to MD because they aren't even the same format. Old consoles didn't use portable languages like C, they all used Assembly instructions. Those instructions are processor-specific, so one processor will never understand the instructions of the other processor. The NES uses a MOS 6502, and the MD uses a Motorola 68000. Completely different. There's also the issue of memory mapping and how differently those consoles display graphics on the screen.

Let me put in simple terms. It's like trying to run a PC game on a Playstation 1.

The only way you can get what you're asking for is to rip the assets (sprites, sounds) and reprogram the whole game from scratch for the MD. And I'm pretty sure you don't want to waste your time doing that for just one game.

JovanMer45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 02:52:29 pm »
Did you see the Video? So far I was Able to Run Metroid and Mario Bros on My Gopher using the Method above. Does it lag and Flash like crazy? Yes, but I am sure that it can be done. BTW I am willing to Reprogram Metroid (Nes) to work on the MD. I dont care How long it Takes. I just need the Instructions. OR willing to Perfect the Program above to Make it Work.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 04:22:56 pm »
To reprogram a game or to use it in an emulator are two different things.

What you want to do is running a NES game in an emulator for MD. Then I answer you that the video you sent (that I was aware of, by the way) is likely the best thing you can get.

This emulator was not really done for gaming purposes I think, but rather as an achievement for the coder. A MD is likely not able to handle real time NES emulation. And even if it was, I highly doubt someone will take the time to code a fully workable emulator.

Anyway, if you just want to play Metroid, buy a NES emulator (hint : a raspberry pi emulates NES at full speed).

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 09:40:05 pm »
hahahah

mmm, no, just no.
Done your packing?, your life journey is over...

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 11:12:39 pm »
and SNES games playing on there

Just for interests sake I'd like to know which Snes games you are referring too.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 12:10:19 am »
To be fair, Mairtrus did make that port of SMB (SMB4MD) to the Genesis a couple of years ago.
http://kotaku.com/5578821/super-mario-bros-finally-faithfully-ported-to-sega-genesis

But SMB is a fairly simple game as NES games go – it's a "Mapper 0" game, whereas Metroid is Mapper 1.  Even then, porting it was apparently not a straightforward process – no one else seems to have done anything similar in the last four years, which should be a pretty good indication that it is not easy to do!
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 01:48:52 pm »
Did you see the Video? So far I was Able to Run Metroid and Mario Bros on My Gopher using the Method above. Does it lag and Flash like crazy? Yes, but I am sure that it can be done. BTW I am willing to Reprogram Metroid (Nes) to work on the MD. I dont care How long it Takes. I just need the Instructions. OR willing to Perfect the Program above to Make it Work.

I'm going to assume this isn't a troll post, and that you're actually serious about this endeavor. Here's what you need to do: 1) Learn how to program for the Genesis pretty much inside and out. 2) Then learn how to program for the NES inside and inside, or at least have a very solid understanding of how it works. Only then, can you attempt to formulate a realistic approach to this problem. Yes, there is more than one approach. If you want playable speed, it's not going to be emulation unless you can somehow seriously overclock the 68k cpu emulation on this handheld device. So with that in mind, you need to look at replacing pieces of original game code with native 68k code. You'll need to do this as well for graphic and sound functions - be it real time or replacement, or something in between.

I doubt you'll do this, because unless it's solely for the sake of challenge - you could easily use a fraction of the amount of time it takes to do this, and just work/earn money to purchase a device that could emulate a lot more platforms on a handheld setup. But feel free to prove me wrong (I rather you would, to be honest. Because things like this are super cool).

You're also in the completely wrong kind of forum for this sort of thing, because this out completely out of the scope of 'romhacking'. You need to be asking these kind of questions at retro based development forums (such as spritesmind and nesdev).

JovanMer45

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 10:44:44 am »
Just for interests sake I'd like to know which Snes games you are referring too.

DK Country (The original one, not any bootleg out there), Secret of Mana, and Stunt Race FX.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 08:32:36 pm »
Stunt Race FX relies too heavily on the Super FX chip for a Genesis/MD port to be feasible, or good. Just look at the Genesis "port" of Hard Drivin'.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 10:08:53 pm »
It is Possible as I have a Few NES and SNES games playing on there myself
You were suggesting that you already have certain SNES games playing on there. Are you now saying that you already have DKC, Secret of Mana, and Stunt Race FX running?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 08:57:02 pm »
Stun Race FX run ON the Super FX chip...
Done your packing?, your life journey is over...

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 07:25:14 pm »
Opps. Misread.