News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ZSNES Changing sample 44100Hz to 43200Hz permanently  (Read 4625 times)

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
ZSNES Changing sample 44100Hz to 43200Hz permanently
« on: December 23, 2014, 09:38:43 am »
Hi everyone. Normally I would offer my services for custom graphics, but now I have a little problem with what I want.
Thing is, that ZSNESw apparently fixes any changes on the ZSNESw CFG data file and I want to change the sample 44100Hz to the more harmonic sample 43200Hz.

Which tool can give me quick access to hack ZSNESw directly?
I would love to have a frequency around which attunes to me more nicely.

Scio

• View Profile
Re: ZSNES Changing sample 44100Hz to 43200Hz permanently
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 10:04:22 am »
Change the .cfg file to your desired values and then make it read-only.

zaffo256

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:29:16 pm »
Why do you want 43.2 kHz ? When I Google this frequency, all I find are crappy pseudoscience articles that say that 432 Hz is more "harmonious" with the universe and/or earth because it makes prettier waves patterns when resonating in water and that there is 43200 seconds in a half day... Oh, and also the A=440 Hz tuning standard is a Nazi conspiracy to induce fear and hatred...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:05:23 pm by zaffo256 »

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 06:39:34 pm »
And on the other side of that coin, if the original poster wants to believe that this sounds better and has a noticeable impact on him, why do you care...?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:33:10 pm »
He's probably just as confused as I am considering that it's such a bizarre request. And if he's like me, any time the "pseudoscience" and "conspiracy" aspect appears to be in play it's difficult not to ridicule someone about it. Maybe we're just bad people. >:D
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 03:22:02 am »
Oh MAN this is unbleivable. When I google 43200Hz, first I find this thread, and then some other pseudo-scientific bullshit that makes absolutely no sense, like just the thing us scientists really don't like.

So first of all - Apparently the pseudo-scientific bs is about the A frequency, not about the sampling rate. Therefore, changing a sampling rate will not affect the tuning of the music.

Even if you changed the sampling rate down to 43200Hz, there is chances that your computer's sound card will internally resample it to 44100 or 48000 internally before the ADC, because those are the two widely used industry standard frequencies. Note that the sound card should resample it with proper antialiasing making this resampling unnoticeable from an user viewpoint.

Second, the SNES sampling rate is internally 32000 Hz, but it is possible when emulating it to get a higher sampling rate, which can result in clearer and crispier sound in some specific cases. (For instance, Chrono Trigger uses drums with playback rate higher than 32kHz, thus using them in such an emulator or SPC player will increase the quality as opposed to real hardware. For most games it won't make any difference). The effect will be the same when using 43200 or 44100 because those are extremely close - the harmonics are gained in both cases.

Finally, if what you want is lower slightly the pitch so that a A would be 432 Hz, this is possible to do without changing the sampling rate, and just adapt the SPC player core. However, this won't make any difference other than the pitch being 32 cents lower (which is unnoticeable to people which does not have "absolute hear", which means almost everyone including most good musicians).

Finally I must say not all games respected the A=440Hz conventions for multiple reasons, programmers were free to make it pitched like they wanted. If they wanted to have a different A, they did. (and trust me, they really did, i.e. I wouldn't surprised if half of the SNES games does not have a 440Hz A, which nobody cares since nobody notices)

Last but not least the frequency of the SPC700 is itself variable, normally it should be 32000 Hz, but according to anomie they found significant variations in different SNESes. Which means the pitch of an A could vary just as much depending on the SNES it runs on / depending on the emulator's tuning.

I remember an old version of SNES9x which played music with higher pitch, for some reason it sounded quite nice.

there is 43200 seconds in a half day
Well at least this part is true. For the rest....

Also 43200 samples per second have nothing to do with 43200 seconds... :banghead:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:27:48 am by Bregalad »