News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Revenge of the Red Falcon - Final Level  (Read 14414 times)

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Re: Revenge of the Red Falcon - Final Level
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 11:29:27 pm »
How about using Metal Gear Font :D

http://www.romhacking.net/fonts/77/

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 02:37:34 pm »
Hey there is an MMC5 patch just released here by RetroRain :D

http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=7843

TheLuigiLightning

• ROM hacking; it's like rearranging classical music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 01:57:35 pm »
Trax, I think this idea may have already been brought up, but I forget, which means I also forget if you said it would be possible or not.  But you mentioned implementing the Mountain Challenge into the hack, and I think the right way to do that would be for it to be an escape sequence after the Alien's Lair.

Of course, it probably wouldn't be the Snow Field setting.  It could be, but it would make more sense for it to be the Jungle or Waterfall.  (The Jungle would just be weird though).  Whichever setting it is, what should happen is, obviously, your amount of lives is how many you have left, but there should also be a time limit.  (Would it be possible to implement a time limit?). 

If the time runs out, that should be an automatic continue.  The one thing I ask though is DON'T MAKE THE TIME LIMIT DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE!!!  I'm fine any day with hard levels in a game, but once a game starts giving me tight time limits, that's when I start getting pissed off!  (I'm telling you, when I was a kid, and I played RPGs, and there was a time limit counting me down to game over, it scared the hell out of me)!

May 21, 2015, 03:35:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay, I really need to address this.  The stage 5 boss is way overpowered.  I was really reluctant to talk about this, because I hate it when difficulty is decreased, but I finally have to give in, it's BS.

The main problem is that it's way too much to manage; you need to get hits on the boss, but the disks come at you at a million miles an hour, and the only way to defend against them is to either jump over them or duck and shoot.  Neither is reliable, because of the stupid debris it drops down; if you duck down, the debris will come down on you, and if you jump, you'll jump right into it!  The other problem is that it just takes waaaaaaaaaay too many hits!  I think at least one of these things needs to be toned down.

My suggestions;

A) The boss retains all of its crazy powers, but its HP is dropped to about a quarter, so it's only a quick nightmare.
B) The boss can only stay in the highest proximity, so there isn't a major hazard of accidentally jumping into the debris.
C) The debris can only be dropped straight under.
D) The disks are slowed down just a little bit.
E) The boss can occasionally throw you a spread gun.  (Is that possible to program?)

Bottom line, it's complete BS, and I die way too many times for it to feel fair, and I really feel like it's not my fault most of the time.  This is the one spot in the game which I feel is unfair.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:35:13 pm by TheLuigiLightning »
I am Luigi Lightning.  (You can just call me Luigi, though).
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 01:56:14 am »
The idea of Mountain Challenge becoming an escape sequence is actually very cool, but may turn out to be technically challenging. Modifying the scrolling direction after the last boss may be possible, but the whole chain of actions needed can be hard to pull off. If it happens to be too hard, the only alternative would be to have a 9th level, but this also has LOTS of implications, many of which I'm figuring out right now because of another secret Contra project I'm working on...

Another thing to consider is that Contra cannot display text during normal gameplay. The PPU only contains the letters for the GAME OVER sprites when you lose your last life. It's only during Intro, Status Screens, and Ending that you can use all letters, plus some symbols. This becomes problematic if a timer needs to be shown on screen. It could be made possible by triggering a change in the PPU, just like the graphical changes that happen where you approach the last boss of a level. The ending credits in RotRF needed a question mark, which is not in the normal game, so I had to create it and add it by hand. It's actually the only graphical modification in the entire hack...

As for the Level 5 Boss, I cranked up the difficulty only because I thought the original boss was so easy. However, there's something you should know that may change your mind: you don't have to go prone to destroy the flying saucers. Does that make the boss more beatable? Other than that, the boss appearing too low after a few cycles is something I want to correct eventually...

TheLuigiLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 12:25:33 am »
Trax, I changed my mind about the boss of stage 5.  The disks are not too fast.  Just so you know, I was without a controller for a while, so I was stuck playing on a keyboard, which is NOT a good situation for this hack!  Now that I have a controller, I really don't find it that bad.  It still might be a good idea to make it so that it doesn't come so far to the bottom of the screen, but there's even a trick around THAT.  I've just been in a grumpy state of mind lately because I've been having a rough year.  I probably was just getting super pissed about being on a keyboard, and just judged the boss that way.
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 10:40:27 pm »
No problem...

I'm currently in the process of reviewing every level to remove inconsistencies, adjust enemy placement, weapon dispersion, maybe tweak a few colors to make levels look more unique relative to the original, adjust some boss behavior, etc...

For example, the boss of level 7 cannot be beaten by simply rushing to the Plated Door and blasting the S Weapon. You have to destroy both Mortar Launchers before the Plate becomes vulnerable. I'll do the same with the boss of level 1, and possibly something similar with the final boss...

DK28

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 09:06:58 pm »
Hello there,
   I'm trying to download this and play it, but the link doesn't prompt me to download.  It sends me to a page of gibberish.  Am I doing something wrong?  Thank you.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 02:19:00 pm »
DK28, what exactly are you trying to download? I usually package my hacks into ZIP files...

Standard procedure in the ROM Hacking community is to share IPS files, not the ROMs themselves, mostly for legal reasons. An IPS file is simply a file that describes the difference between the original ROM and the hacked one. You will need a IPS patcher and the original Contra ROM for the hack to work. Please read the FAQ on this site for more details on patching ROMs...

If you need further help, send me a PM or an email...

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 10:42:22 am »
It looks like bwass.org is serving the IPS as a text document (it shows up in text in-browser for me instead of prompting me to save it). So either right-click the link and select "Save link as..."/"Save target as..." or once you've opened the IPS file as a text document in the browser, just save it from the file menu.

Once you have the IPS file saved, Trax's directions above give you everything you need to know.

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 12:37:04 pm »
I really like this game. I must voice one complaint though (providing that I had the most updated version, which I think that I did). I really enjoyed the first level, until I would go just a little too far and 3-4 Red Snipers would shoot like 4-5 shots EXACTLY where I was, requiring some ridiculous dodging or death. Death being the normal result. I understand making it hard, but I honestly never got past level 1 and I was a pretty decent Contra 1 player, although admittedly its been a while since I've played. I really only commented about it b/c I think that some of your audience might be lost if level 1 jumps right to extreme. I downloaded I believe from page 1, but I could be wrong. It is a great concept though.  :thumbsup:
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevilHunterMiyumi/

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 05:46:56 pm »
The difficulty level for this hack is perfect for the handful of us who have been playing Contra for 20+ years. For a lot of people this hack is going to be well over the top. Hell, plenty of people find the original game to be very challenging.

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 05:48:28 pm »
If this were out back in the 80's, think how many kids would be screaming and throwing controllers at TV's  ;D

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 06:12:14 pm »
The difficulty level for this hack is perfect for the handful of us who have been playing Contra for 20+ years. For a lot of people this hack is going to be well over the top. Hell, plenty of people find the original game to be very challenging.

Glad that it wasn't just me.

If this were out back in the 80's, think how many kids would be screaming and throwing controllers at TV's  ;D

If I had gotten this as a 10 year old, my mother and father would have grounded me from my NES b/c I would probably have thrown a controller through the TV. Thankfully I've got some years since that point haha. I like it, its just hard as $#!+!!!!!!!!! Would definitely have liked an easy, medium, and hard mode haha  :thumbsup:
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 07:55:45 pm »
I admit you are totally right about the ridiculous difficulty. As a kid, I would probably have destroyed my console too...

Some of the design, especially at the beginning, is the result of me exploring the way enemies are layed out. The repeat mechanism, that lets you have copies of an enemy with a different Y position but the same X position, lead to the creation of columns of enemies, like the Rifle Men (snipers) under the bridge or the border of the water, just before the rocky wall...

Not too far into development, I thought about a system of difficulty levels, which is still in my plans. However, it does involve some technical planning, and when I released level 8, I didn't want to delay the release anymore. I think some of you understand the phenomenon. You make something (could be a hack, a piece of software, etc.) are you always have this great new idea that you want to add, but you never make anything final, because ideas pile up. The risk is that you end up with vaporware...

So, what are my options? I could create a "variation" of the same hack, where enemy behavior is like the original game...

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 10:37:13 pm »
I admit you are totally right about the ridiculous difficulty. As a kid, I would probably have destroyed my console too...

Some of the design, especially at the beginning, is the result of me exploring the way enemies are layed out. The repeat mechanism, that lets you have copies of an enemy with a different Y position but the same X position, lead to the creation of columns of enemies, like the Rifle Men (snipers) under the bridge or the border of the water, just before the rocky wall...

Not too far into development, I thought about a system of difficulty levels, which is still in my plans. However, it does involve some technical planning, and when I released level 8, I didn't want to delay the release anymore. I think some of you understand the phenomenon. You make something (could be a hack, a piece of software, etc.) are you always have this great new idea that you want to add, but you never make anything final, because ideas pile up. The risk is that you end up with vaporware...

So, what are my options? I could create a "variation" of the same hack, where enemy behavior is like the original game...

Would be neat if you could switch that on and off at the title screen.

You thought about making the title screen animated like they did with the translated version of Contra? ( Might have asked before but I forget :P )
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:44:11 pm by mrrichard999 »

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 03:51:39 am »

I completely understand about the development process. I was really bummed out when I found out that a patch I had applied to my project caused a conflict that can't be fixed, requiring me to make a lot of changes that I haven't made yet b/c it was such a kick in the pants when I was almost ready to release beta versions IMO.

If you want my opinion, which I'm going to give anyway haha, I would simply reduce the number of Rifle men in certain spots, like from 4 to 2, at least in the early levels. If I had had time to play through a few levels and get used to it, I think the way that level 1 is designed would work. On the flip side however, to fall right into level 1 and feel like I'm playing what personally I would feel in many games to be considered "final level" difficulty really took away from my experience. I really like increasing difficulty in a hack, but entering into spots like I described in an earlier response (where 4 rifle men spawned and then immediately shot like 30 bullets where I was standing) seems more cheap on the part of the game than an increase of difficulty. I admit, I'm not the BEST Contra player ever, but I feel like I can provide an opinion of someone who is familiar with the game, but is a "casual" player now. I think I tried to re-play level 1 about 10 times, couldn't even come close to the boss, and just gave up. Again, I am not trying to take anything away from what has been created, because it is very well thought out and a really good concept that I think I could really enjoy if the game gave you more time to learn and get used to it. Again, just my opinion.

TheLuigiLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2015, 02:55:35 pm »
Trax, over the course of the summer, I wrote an entire review for RotRF, and the second you officially release the hack on the site, I am copying and pasting it into a review box!  I think you'll enjoy reading it a lot.  I put just about all of my thoughts on paper, and it might even be longer than my Battletoads Genesis (my one full scale review on this site).  I thought the only way to do a justice to the dedication you put in this hack was to put just as much dedication into my review.  Release when ready and read away!

August 14, 2015, 02:41:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, if anyone has beaten the hack with no continues, please make a post!  As far as I'm aware, I'm the only one so far.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:41:22 pm by TheLuigiLightning »

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 10:20:31 pm »
Good news, guys, about 75% of the changes I wanted to make are done. What I did so far:

- Remove all enemy "duplicates", i.e. enemies with the same coordinates, in levels 1, 3 and 5.
- Review difficulty of Indoor levels bosses, readjust HP and restore their own specific attack projectiles.
- New ASM to make the Plated Door of level 1 Boss invulnerable until you destroy the turrets, just like in level 7.
- Prevent the Alien Carrier (level 5 boss) to appear at its lowest altitude.
- Reduce the speed of Flying Saucers spawned by the Alien Carrier. They are still quite fast.
- Revise some enemy placement to avoid fake difficulty or excessively tight spots.

I thought enemy duplicates looked more like a glitch than a feature, and it didn't really add any value to the game, except for weird surprises. The boss of level 2, The Eye, shoots big Sphere Projectiles. The boss of level 4, which I call Boss Gemini, shoot little pairs of Spinning Bubbles that move in irregular patterns. In earlier development of level 2, I noticed that I could make the Boss Eye shoot the little Spinning Bubbles projectiles, usually the signature of the Boss Gemini, without incurring visual glitches. The reverse is not true: Boss Gemini cannot generate Sphere Projectiles without a visual glitch. Some tiles are not correct for a specific Sprite Code of the Sphere when in level 4. I finally decided to simply give back each boss its own projectile, to keep them unique...

I also decreased the Boss Eye velocity, and its HP went from 40 to 30. The Alien Carrier Flying Saucers also have reduced speed, from 380 to 280. A velocity value of 280 is equivalent to 2.5 pixels per frame. Many of the adjustments I make is because some weapons are just too weak compared to the super power of the S Gun. As you probably know already, some enemies in the game have different HP according to the current Weapon Strength Code. RotRF has even more of that. For example, the M Weapon is considered a "strong" weapon (in order: Weak, Medium, Strong, Very Strong) in the game, so it causes some enemies to have more HP or attack more frequently. Yet, the M weapon is not that strong relative to the basic gun...

What remains is a reasonably watchable demo sequence (or deactivate it altogether), decide on some enemy AI and tweak a boss or two. Any other ideas?

TheLuigiLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 05:43:34 pm »
Trax, don't lower the speed of the Alien Carrier's disks.  It was why the fight was so much fun!  Also, why would you lower the velocity and HP of the eye and take away the bubbles?  When you have the spread gun, it was the most fun challenge to dodge everything!

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 04:56:43 am »
I want to play this game once it's finished... it's a shame this can't be on a cart release for  the huge size

oohh and also, waiting for that editor if it gets released someday :D

keep the good work man!