News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: FF3us Multi Editor: The Bug Report  (Read 1999 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
FF3us Multi Editor: The Bug Report
« on: December 10, 2014, 05:35:05 am »
Note that this list isn't all-inclusive, as I have not tested many of the more esoteric features (music editor, battle animation editor). Mostly, I've focused on working with the text. For reference, I'm running Windows XP (32-bit).

• Exporting scripts in the dialogue editor will often crash the program, leaving an incomplete script dump.
  • Script dumps, even after closing the program, will be immovable and un-deletable, displaying the error message "This file is in use by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using this file and try again."
  • The editor apparently doesn't play nice with roms it has been used to expand. This is what happened to me when I got past the Opera Scene in my latest attempt. Specifically, Captions #3061-3082 are filled right to bursting with the repeating sequence of a lowercase "e" followed by an ellipse, consuming around 20,000 bytes.
  • Editing text in the Big Battle Captions (under the Monster Editor) will often cause garbage text to appear in the black margins around the left side of the text box at odd moments during the game. I've had this happen during Terra, Locke and Edgar's dialogue about Terra's magic, during Sabin's argument with Vargas, and during General Leo's death scene. It's very unpredictable, but really only a minor annoyance.

That's about all I've discovered in my time working with the program. Kind of explains why a complete port of the relevant parts (you know, excluding things like Leviathan, the Soul Shrine, etc) of the GBA script hasn't been done.

I wonder if this game is cursed? ;)
Yamero~~!

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
Re: FF3us Multi Editor: The Bug Report
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:30:44 am »
I know about #3. It happens when you save the ROM more than once.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:05:46 pm »
I know about #3. It happens when you save the ROM more than once.

So you're saying overwriting a ROM with one that has identical contents produces this error?
Yamero~~!

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 12:15:02 pm »
I don't know for sure. But the only way to avoid the bug is by saving only once, then closing FF3USME and reopening it.

Lord J never cared about fixing this.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:27:57 pm by Almagest »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 05:10:12 pm »
Pretty much any edits you make you save, close the program and reopen it. Stupid save bug had me lose my work more than once.