News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NDS] Star Fox Command - translation/hack  (Read 3868 times)

HayaoYokogawa

• Fat flying arctic fox
    • View Profile
[NDS] Star Fox Command - translation/hack
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:09:29 am »
Hello there!

I've decided to make Star Fox Command hack and/or Russian translation (depends on difficulty/possibility to change stuff other than pics/text).

What I want to change in hack (if it's possible, hehe):
- at first, scenario - to make it linear and the only one ending;
- second - models, changing them to original Star Fox models;
- music - Star Fox and Star Fox 2 music;
- and the last - translation.

I've read a few docs and started to work, and, well, I got stuck on few moments, such as 3D model format there and text hacking.
3D models there have MDL format and they doesn't work in any possible 3D editor and they're not in any usual Nintendo format; each file in its header contains "MGL Model" and "MGL Mesh" phrases, I've tried to google these, but haven't find any info.

As for text - I've expanded NTFR font with Russian letters, assigned custom table, but it doesn't work at all - Russian letters are not showing. I think I've lost something elsewhere, but I can't find what exactly.
Also, Editor BMG Arquivos didn't worked for me too, Ted is too complex (I'd really appreciate if somebody would me with that one)

You can find edited NTFR file here.
I'm working on USA region ROM.

Spoiler:
I'm sorry for my bad English =^^^=''
I really hope and I'd really appreciate any help, 'cause in Russian community nobody is interested in it.

UPD: While looking up through random scripts I found out that some scripts refer to "rom:/*.nsbmd", which for me meant that models should be or somewhere else they exist in that usual format, but the only one model in NSBMD format I found had the same "MGL Mesh" in header. Any ideas?
UPD1: After extensive googling, I've found out that LowLines figured out how MDL format works in Star Fox Command, so it opens up in Console Tool. Damn, it took 4 days to find it out.
UPD2: I've figured out how to extract models from Star Fox Command! I can make a short tutorial :3
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 03:58:40 pm by HayaoYokogawa »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: [NDS] Star Fox Command - translation/hack
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:45:53 pm »
NTFR fonts can be annoying to add extra characters to, I do not have my reference materials on this computer but if memory serves there are three main ways NTFR can sort and encoding, and said three ways then change how you set about adding a new one. The short version is you want tinke as it handles most of this quite well ( http://code.google.com/p/tinke/ ), I have a short guide to one type in my GBA and DS hacking docs
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14708.0

Porting over SNES music to the DS.... I guess it would be possible but not an easy hack if you are not familiar with SNES audio, unless you just want to rip the SNES audio as a wave file and try to play that back during missions (not ideal but you can still loop it and all that).

Sounds like you have the model stuff extracted. Kudos, custom DS 3d formats are not the easiest to work with in my experience.

On BMG files I have not really edited a game using BMG files that had scripts long enough to bother with setting up something proper and just edited in a hex editor. If you have tinke from the NTFR stuff then you might want to revisit it for this, however I do not have a good BMG aware text editor/program that I can link here.

Was ted the thing that played well with kruptar? I like kruptar but well you can read the thread around here on the matter http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=16496.0 (short version -- people consider it a good effort, though it will probably not dethrone atlas and cartographer).

By the way in case you missed it then there is a control hack to allow people to use the dpad rather than the touchscreen
https://gbatemp.net/threads/starfox-command-u-d-pad-hack.118663/

HayaoYokogawa

• Fat flying arctic fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:05 am »
For font I've used DarthNemesis'(?) NTFR editor, font works the same with english characters, but in Russian it shows nothing, so I assume there should be some different font table.

For audio - like I said, I figured out how to prepare SSEQ files and pack them in SDAT, and also I have already dumped Star Fox SNES audio, so nothing hard for me.

For models - it was hard, but I did it, though it's impossible to make MGL models for me since I know nothing about reverse engineering and such stuff.
I don't care much about it now.

Tinke is great at BMG files, but it doesn't let you edit those, Editor BMG Arquivos is not working for me for some reason and Ted is too complicated, but thanks for a link - I'll check it out.

As for control hack - I don't need it. Touchscreen is kinda comfortable, if you use your finger ;3

I'm also thinking about some different hack, like "Star Wolf Command", where you would play as Star Wolf team. Nothing hard about swapping models and modifying characteristics, but I want to try to edit scenario, to make it fit Star Wolf team... Still figuring out how they work though.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:19:28 am »
DarthNemesis' tool is great for editing existing characters, testing out example passages using the font and helping dump/create a table from NTFR files but it is not good for adding entirely new characters/valid values in an encoding. As editing characters (by the way crystaltile2 supports NTFR as well and can dump characters from a font on your PC into it if you want, or otherwise edit a lot of things at once) does for what most people need that works OK, if you are going to be adding the entire Cyrillic alphabet on top of what is in there* then you have to actually work for it, though it is considerably easier than it was on older systems/those without a full font format.

*If you are playing with Japanese games then shiftJIS does technically feature Cyrillic and/or Greek characters so you might get lucky there, however it is far from unheard of for the font that is otherwise in shiftJIS to not have Roman characters let alone ones I do not think I have ever seen in a Japanese game script.

HayaoYokogawa

• Fat flying arctic fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:30:13 am »
No, Japanese fonts in Star Fox Command don't have any Cyrillic symbols there, sadly, but on the other side I can try to replace English font with Japanese one and look up for result.

UPD: It didn't work. Aw.
I've tried CrystalTile2 NTFR tool, but, well, it didn't make any normal font, no matter how much times I've tried.

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 11:37:06 am »
As for text - I've expanded NTFR font with Russian letters, assigned custom table, but it doesn't work at all - Russian letters are not showing. I think I've lost something elsewhere, but I can't find what exactly.
Also, Editor BMG Arquivos didn't worked for me too, Ted is too complex (I'd really appreciate if somebody would me with that one)

You can find edited NTFR file here.
I'm working on USA region ROM.

You first might want to read what "Shift-JIS" is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_JIS

Shift-JIS is a popular character encoder that a lot of Japanese games use, and Star Fox Command is no exception.  It basically allows the use of single byte and double byte characters.  The single byte characters that can be used are between hex values 20 - 7F.

Everything else has to use two bytes.  The Russian characters in the NTFR file won't work because those only work for two byte characters.  What you need to is make the Russian characters use two bytes.

Some games actually do include the Russian alphabet as seen here:  http://www.rikai.com/library/kanjitables/kanji_codes.sjis.shtml

From that website:
- Capital Letters = 8440 - 8460
- Lower Letters = 8470 - 8491

So all you have to do is modify the CMAP data at the end of the NTFR file to make the Russian letters use those hex values.  Using those values means tools like CrystalTile2 that have Shift-JIS support, editing the text should be easy, or just make a table file.

If you look at the ASCII Extended characters in the NTFR, that is what they have done to get round the issue.  For example, é = E9, but that single hex byte can't be used.  So they use two hex bytes, in this case, the first hex byte is always 01, so: é = 01E9

Hope that helps.  Any problems, let me know.

HayaoYokogawa

• Fat flying arctic fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 12:14:57 am »
okay, so i need to use double byte characters.
but i don't get how should I edit the text :/