News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Large pointer table  (Read 1782 times)

mnhacker

• View Profile
Large pointer table
« on: November 22, 2014, 11:23:07 am »
I have a pointer table roughly x000-x700 where each pointer needs to be subtracted by 12(C).
I browsed through the pointer utilities; I have no need for scripts or text to insert. Is there anything for this simple of a hack to save me from doing it by hand

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
Re: Large pointer table
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 11:49:02 am »
Hi there,
You're not giving us enough info to understand what you want to do with the pointers.
- If it's just to explore them, dump them with any hex extractor, copy into the free version of excel or (or others) and add 12.
- You said you don't want to do scripts dumping / inserting, otherwise cartographer + atlas would be a perfect match.
- Actually, even without the need for scripts, they might do what you want...
- If you're trying to reinsert pointers in place, a stupid C program would do this in the blink of an eye.

Please tell us more if this doesn't answer your need.

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 05:52:15 pm »
I'll second copying from a hex editor to a spreadsheet column, subtracting 12 from each cell, and pasting back into the hex editor as the most efficient technique.

You may have trouble properly grouping hex digits for pasting to/from. In that case, I make simple macros in Notepad++ to arrange everything.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:41:42 pm »
Or you could rebuild the table using a program.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:35:58 am by henke37 »

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:17:47 am »
Hexedit has a feature to subtract a value from a block of selected 8, 16, or 32bit values.  It's also free thankfully.

Other suggestion would be some scripting.  With python you could copy everything into an array, subtract the value from all elements, then print it or stuff it back in or whatnot.

Your pointer table is only 0x700 long?  You guys would die doing N64 work ;*)