News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Translation/Analysis Requested] Star Ocean SFC Mysterious Hack/Archive  (Read 2752 times)

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
So there's a cool hack shown in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNw9z2Q6OW4

In the description is a download link:
http://www.uploadable.ch/file/ACDETeQcA9Dg

Within that downloadable archive is 'SoHack.ups' as a file.
Apparently that is a hack for the Japanese version of Star Ocean for the Super Famicom.  It allows for the main character (Ratix) to be switched out of the party and some other fancy programming wizardry (even works in battle!).

I stumbled across this while going through some old posts on the GameFAQs forums and a brief mention of this hack was made.

I don't see the hack listed on the appropriate game pages so I was hoping someone who knows Japanese can go through the archive and translate the various text files and readmes present within.  All I see on my system are garbled ASCII characters since I don't have the proper language installed in my Windows setup.

I'm also unsure of what the other hacks present within that archive are for.  Perhaps if someone with a bit of programming talent wants to look at the patch that has been done, we can get a full breakdown of the changes that were done and replicate those changes to be compatible with an English-patched version of the game.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: [Translation/Analysis Requested] Star Ocean SFC Mysterious Hack/Archive
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:49:28 pm »
Sounds like something Tomato would know about or would be interested in. IIRC, he's been streaming Japanese hacks of games and translating them.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 05:10:10 pm »
Using Google Translate, this is what came up.

□ Introduction
Since such things were made ​​by abruptly cheating is pale in.
Permanent UnderConstruction's
1.25 times the enemy attack force in StarOcean, you have let me apply the patch twice the enemy HP.
Scenario, graphics, etc. does not change.

□ Changes
- Almost all of the weapons and armor performance (weakening, to generous additional capacity)
• The initial equipment of some unit, status
And consumption amount of skill points (increase, decrease part)
• The possible move to refrain from Rati
Enemy attack force 1.25 times, 2 times the enemy HP
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:27:17 pm »
Thank you for the response!
I'm going to do some testing to see if this hack is compatible with the DeJap translation and perhaps submit it to the romhacking archives.

I wonder if there is any way to determine who created the hack.
If it is perhaps in Japanese or w/e I can include that information when submitting it.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:46:14 pm »
Somewhatish necro-post.  If it's just stat changes and such, I can probably figure that out relatively quick and port it over into DeJap's.  If they DID update enemy AI though.. that'll be a big, big problem.

I definitely want a harder Star Ocean.  I LOVE the SNES version over the PSP one (great game still but it's still pretty easy) and it definitely needs one hell of a difficulty boost, especially if you have Fear (Phia) in your party.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'