I finally completed my Beyond Chaos experience and now it's time to review it... i started following the link to your project, i saw huge potential in your work at first sight and so i decided to register me in Github just for being able to interact with you, commenting, asking and proposing some advice for new features or adjustments, until i decided it was ready for my ideal experience... Let's start the rewiew:
Beyond Chaos randomizer:
Pros: (EVERYTHING!!! ok, i'll try to write a list... XD)
- Totally randomized, in something like 98% of all aspects, except the ones that
was unnecessary, if not a bad idea to randomize;
- Now the program is user-friendly: you can use a windows exe version and use any rom, headered or not... if you have any doubt, the first 5 minutes of my Beyond Chaos run on my youtube channel are spent as a tutorial step-by-step to generate a randomized rom;
- The program algorythm asks you a plenty of options, so that you can decide which flags to use or not(default sets all flags), and so creating your custom randomized rom;
- You can input, among flags, secret passwords too... like having falcon in solitary island(when WoR starts), or all Sabin team, no encounters, etc...
- Through the time this guy edited, day after day, his program... test after test, each flaw or bug, dead ends? Vargas was too much strong if random Sabin didn't have Blitz as command? fixed... this and MANY other problems. All this work, plus new features added on his own or by request... the work behind this randomizer is obectively incredible, and it's a living creature, since it's just ready in any moment to implement/fix stuff;
- We have an expanded Fanatics Tower and a totally randomized Kefka Tower final dungeon, something i've never seen before... and now that i saw that... it's almost like travelling inside a multidimensional area... even more dynamic that FF1 hidden multi floor dungeons;
- Custom randomized AI, each place might contain a random hidden boss as 1/16 rate encounter;
- Custom secret random boss(something like a boss with Doom Gaze parameters and Behemoth AI);
- Surprises everywhere, as expected, you find a new item? Check also if it's breakable, which can definitively happen, it's worth to test it too: they have hidden properties... for example i had an amazing luck since when i got Earrings i realized that it had hidden Merit Award and immune death property;
- New type of command: R-????, in which "????" stands for a type of spells, like
R-Fire, R-Elem, R-Magic... which means a list of spells of that type. When you use that command, the spell used is chosen randomly. There are also rare types of this command, like R-Beast(it chooses a random Animal spell, the ones which can rarely be used with Dance command) or R-Rare, which can use special spells of strong bosses, like Flare Star, Hyperdrive... probably Goner too(maybe now it's banned?) ;
- All that randomization, especially the one of monsters makes become the game difficult... maybe not immediately, but trust me: from the second half of WoB you'll start to feel some difference... to not talk about WoR! (PS. beating Intangir will be VERY tough)
- ENDLESS replay value(for my bro should be the fourth new game...)
- Now an improved document is generated with the randomized rom, which can tell you detailed infos about Characters, shops, chests, Colloseum Rewards, monsters locations and other details: a handy guide to help you finding stuff that you definitively might miss;
- The randomizer will gonna generate a super secret item that you might find in a really secret place... will you be able to find it?
- Surely i forgot something, so i'll stop here Pros.
- Someone might complain about difficulty curve? (not my case, i really cannot even consider it a cons, but i must try to be objective...)
- It's a shame to not find immediately one character with Steal command or not find Thief knife asap, since you have to start steal immediately, especially if it's not one of the guys that you use when WoR starts... (still the document can tell you immediately who has which command, so you can keep generating new roms until you find the desired command to the chosen guy)
- You're destined to have an obsolete version, (as you progress through the game) since Abyssonym will add or fix something meanwhile... most of the times(which it just means that Abyss does a great job and try with all means to optimize the randomizer).
- Quick and Ultima are still available(and that will be forever), so overcheapness is still viable...
Now let's write some number, here's the subjects of score:
- Randomness balance (how much it's actually randomized, good choices about what to randomize, how good it's randomized)
- Replay value (a generic value for any game, and so the same for this one)
- Innovation factor (new features, is it a new kind of product, all over the FF6 scenario?)
- Evolving factor(is it alive? would the game ready to improve itself, expanding itself?)
1) Randomness balance: 9.9/10 -> it's just what it must be: chaotic and affected from sudden changes... you might be lucky or not, and that will affect the whole gameplay in general... but it won't stop here: the randomization is studied in minimal details, the design of this chaotic being is incredible: beyond the chaos you'll find something really stable, even more balanced than many other hacks which wasn't even randomized;
2) Replay value: 10/10 -> it's basically infinite, not just because it's a randomizer... when you'll generate a new rom you'll find something completely different, all the times! you won't be able to detect some predictable scheme that you'll be ready to handle, even without seeing it, before starting the next run.
This is what happens when you generat a rom with default setting, but you can manually decide any kind of randomization available, according to your tastes, and if you want to do something even more weird, then you can input secret passwords and so generate a total new experience... finally you can also mix all what i said before and not even me know what might come out from the generator.
You can spend all your life in generating totally new roms and i'm sure that you'll still have new combinations yet to discover;
3) Innovation factor: 9.9/10 -> obviusly it's a randomizer, no surprise... but the game is deeply changed from that, new features includes also the final dungeon randomization/expansion, which is something that not even standard FF6 hacks are used to do in general. Also the R-spells command spells packs is something added, besides is something that would fit really great also in a not randomized hack;
4) Evolving factor: 9.9/10 -> The game is always ready for further new features, fixing/editing stuff, Abyssonym is ready to listen advices, detect bugs, unbalancements... new ideas are welcome to him, from outside: even myself have been part of this living creature.OVERALL SCORE: 9.9/10
Really, i cannot give you 10/10 because no one really knows what is absolute perfection, besides that 0.1 includes also what you'll going to add/edit in the future, in any case i can grant you that this randomizer is really near to perfection!
PS. there's also something that touched my gamer heart: that super secret item: that's absolutely the kind of thing i love most in a game, not the super item, like the secretness factor, something out of schemes that you shouldn't normally be able to figure out.
Say for example that i'd start to create an hack for Castlevania SOTN... well, at 400% the thing i'd do would be creating a super hidden room with a new relic/weapon/whatever, accessible only going outside the castle... you know what i'm talking about, right?
You really don't have any valid reason to not playing this randomizer.
Said that, just start playing Beyond Chaos! Are you still reading this?