News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hi. I need help about Fire Emblem 10 dialogue font.  (Read 4779 times)

Quina

• View Profile
Hi. I need help about Fire Emblem 10 dialogue font.
« on: November 12, 2014, 10:30:20 pm »
Hi everybody. Im going to translate this game to my language and must have my special characters in the font.
This is font folder:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/i9wqtwzyko84qxo/font.rar
But which one is dialogue font? I focus on talk.cms but cant even know how to see characters of the font by tilemolester or edit hex code to draw new characters.
Then I read this topic:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48373
I use Nintenlord Lz77 to decompress talk.cms and talk_w.cms. These are decompress files:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/w0rwjm205yrn4j2/talk
http://www.mediafire.com/download/44o124oynm6ua8i/talk_w
Look them by hex editor, still dont understand which is pointer, which is graphic code.
Does anyone work with the font of this game? Is there a way to find and edit dialogue font of this game? I want to add/draw new characters, or re-draw useless chars (#,&,@,...) to those my special chars. Or how to debug the game to find where is graphic code of letters of the font?
Any help will be appreciated. Sorry my English is not good.

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
Re: Hi. I need help about Fire Emblem 10 dialogue font.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:21:05 am »
I haven't dealt with this game yet. But so far I can say:

1. You can't view the font in a hex editor. Use a tile editor, but if the font is uncompressed and store in the way that the tile editor knows only. But in some case, if you have a wicked eye for font data, you can find it in a hex editor by looking at some repeating patterns.
To figure out how the font is stored, juts do some change in the data, load the game and see how the font changes.

still dont understand which is pointer, which is graphic code
The font data usually has no pointer. Pointers are used in dialogue, menu...

3. You can find whatever data you want using a debugger and some knowledge on that specific assembly language. So, if you're dealing with a NDS game, just learn some Asm for the NDS and how to use the debugger.

P/s: this game has an English version, beside the Japanese one so I think there's nobody care about the font, because they have what they want for the font in the game itself.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 03:13:21 am »
Hello! I think you should also post at Serenes Forest website, on their forums. It is a Fire Emblem fan site that does romhacking and translating for the games. Some people may be able to help you more there :)

I hope you can work on your translation. Fire Emblem is a very good game, and more people can read it, the better  :beer:

Quina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:34:15 am »
3. You can find whatever data you want using a debugger and some knowledge on that specific assembly language. So, if you're dealing with a NDS game, just learn some Asm for the NDS and how to use the debugger.
Then what is that debugger? And are you sure I have to learn Asm for NDS? Because this game is on Wii.
I need a debugger tell me what bytes is relative to the font.
Hello! I think you should also post at Serenes Forest website, on their forums. It is a Fire Emblem fan site that does romhacking and translating for the games. Some people may be able to help you more there :)
I posted. No one replied. :| I can understand, they dont need to know about the font this game already had English version.

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 04:15:10 am »
Sorry, I was wrong about the platform. But basically, if you're dealing with a game that belongs to a specific platform, just learn that platform's assembly or else you'll hard time with it.
I haven't dealt with any Wii game yet, so I can't help you. After Googling, I see that there's no debugger for Wii until now. But even if there is, you must have some assembly knowledge to understand what is displayed in a debugger.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 05:54:20 pm »
After Googling, I see that there's no debugger for Wii until now.

I believe Dolphin has that, precisely.
No need to learn ASM "just" for a font hack unless either you want to create a VWF, or your language is remarkably different from the original one?

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 11:17:19 pm »
Normally we don't need Asm knowledge for finding and changing the font. But Quina said he can't find the font with tile editor out there, so I assume that the font is compressed or stored in a special way. In that case, we'll need the Asm weapon to break that seal.

Quina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 12:13:14 am »
I didnt know this is complicated like that.
While waiting for a solution I ll try to change some bytes and see how the font change. If lucky I can find out the bytes of letters.
@BlackDog61: Tell me man, how can I use dolphin to debug the game? Specially I want to know which bytes relative to the letters. I think I ll re-draw useless letters to my special characters.

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 02:14:13 am »
Yes, Rom translating (hacking) is not an easy game to play. When I first entered this field 5 years a go, I didn't know a single Hex. During the progression, I encountered alot and alot of problem to overcome, and now my bag of tricks in this field is enough to write a book, I think  :P But still now, my level is nowhere in the vast of Rom hacking field.

Becareful, rom hacking can consume all your life  :'(

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 02:20:22 am »
@BlackDog61: Tell me man, how can I use dolphin to debug the game? Specially I want to know which bytes relative to the letters. I think I ll re-draw useless letters to my special characters.

I think you would first be better off looking for the font graphics in the graphics debugger. With any luck, you can see the texture with all / part of the letters in RAM when text is displayed. Once you do, then you can look for "logs" or "traces" that will show files loading into RAM. If you find the right target RAM address, then you know where the font is coming from. After that you can look into compression (either "brute force" trying the platform's typical decompresion types, hopibg to find the right one if it is not a custom thing, or ASM-ing to understand the compression itself).

EDIT: I'm not convinced there is compression at this stage, even if i couldn't see the font muself. (But I'm bad at finding tile sizes etc.) The font file for "fontw" seems to have a first part that is different from the rest. Either it is a big palette at the start, or that's a compression with a big piece of data at the start. That big piece of data could be a dictionary.
All of these are just pure guesses, of course.

Quina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 09:16:30 am »
Run debugger give me error
Error: LR=0
invalid callstack
Test all my ISO, dolphin 3.0 and 4.0, that error appear all the time.
Edit: OK after crazy click on step, step over and skip the rom can run in debug mode.
Edit2: Im just a newbie to dolphin debugger can you guide a newbie?
http://i.imgur.com/yyH9TrG.jpg
Please tell me what to do, step by step. I know NOTHING about this debugger.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:36:49 am by Quina »

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 02:39:12 am »
Not mean to discourage you, but as I said before, if you want to do a serious hack/translation, then just spend your time to learn that Assembly. It takes time, offcourse. It's an answear to the question why there are not many fan translation in comparison with a lot of releashed games.
Wii is still a very young console to hack, I think. The Nes and Snes (which are less complicated than the current consoles) over 20 years ago are still nightmares to be hacked. Hope you can figure out that hacking/translating a game is not an easy game to play with.

If you insist on this game, then I encourage you to learn Wii's assembly, which is a tough task, though.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 04:20:19 am »
Please tell me what to do, step by step. I know NOTHING about this debugger.
I was thinking of the graphics debugger (after you launch "dolphin.exe -d" then in the menu: view->video) but it doesn't do what I thought. Well it just plain freezes the emulator, so it doesn't work like ppsspp for the PSP, too bad. Maybe it's just a video debugger and not a textures debugger?

Thus I now have to agree with yugisokubodai. You're going to have to look for text in the binary files (most likely with relative search), then try and break on access to its memory address (this requires a Dolphin recompilation, by the way), and work back from here until you find the decompression code. That requires learning assembly and debugging properly with a debugger.
Good luck.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 07:54:23 am »
http://i.imgur.com/yyH9TrG.jpg
I see you've already found the "Dump MRAM" button. Click it. Go to your Dolphin's User folder (might be in "My Documents") and go into the Dump folder. You'll find a 24 MB file called "ram.raw". Open it with a tile editor like crystaltile2 and try to find the font visually. Once you've located the proper start for it, you'll have an offset that *might* be somewhere in the code.

That's not gonna solve your problem, but it's a good first step. After that, I'm afraid that if you can't locate the font inside the game files, you'll have to insert your own somehow, and that's gonna imply some ASM hacking, which you'll have to learn.

By the way, this link doesn't work for me:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/w0rwjm205yrn4j2/talk

Quina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 09:53:25 am »
Here the new link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aegtwrj9livaknn/ftalk.rar?dl=0
Following your guide. Of course, I know I have to take months not days.

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 10:10:58 pm »
An easier way without any Asm knowledge is to corrupt the suspected file. Use any file corrupter out there to change the suspected filen, then load the game and see how it changes.
If you don't sure which fille contains the font, try to corrupt the save state when the text displayed.
I'm not sure for Wii, but it works for PSX games.

Trong mấy cái File corrupter thì dùng cái này ổn nhất:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/5/