News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: FFVI - Return of the Dark Sorcerer released!  (Read 48410 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: FFVI - Return of the Dark Sorcerer released!
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:00:02 pm »

Update By: Gi Nattak

After years of hard work, FFVI Return of the Dark Sorcerer v1.0 has been released for all to play!

Return of the Dark Sorcerer, or ROTDS for short, is a rather large Final Fantasy VI hack that's been in development for about four years. It has had many different hands on to help get it to where it is today and has been tested and played through multiple times to ensure quality. This hack promises to showcase some of the more challenging aspects of FFVI modding, as well as plenty of fun and exciting new content - from an all new cast of playable characters with customized movesets, a radically changed story with many new and customized events, new overworld maps, a new soundtrack, lots of gameplay changes, a tremendous amount of spritework...the list goes on.

If you have been itching for a really challenging FFVI hack with lots of fresh new content resulting in a whole new FFVI experience, do yourself a favor and download this hack - it will not disappoint.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.rotds.webs.com/)

davidvinc

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: FFVI - Return of the Dark Sorcerer released!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 11:55:05 pm »
I downloaded it and everything was going very well up until the first battle with Kefka and the brunette. It gave the sound for the battle transition, but then it just went to a black screen. I'm using Zsnes.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 12:23:42 am »
That is a result of not patching to the correct ROM, or rather the ROM needs to be headered when applying the patch or it will result in a freeze in battle. It's been the bane of my existence since the hack was released lol. There are headered Final Fantasy III (U) (V1.0) [!] ROMs out there, for obvious reason I am not able to link them here. There are also programs to add a header. But if you or anyone else here has trouble patching and playing, please send me a personal message right away and I will help you get up and running;)

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 01:05:41 am »
Or you could use tush.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 11:04:44 am »
Where did all the Reverb/echo effects in the music go?  That was the one thing that really made the music feel alive, but to see it excised to save SPC700 RAM is a real shame.  Echo effects are essential to making it seem like there are far more sound channels than there really are, without it, you can hear every note cut.
Also, still really early in the game, but I don't like seeing unaltered maps and event scripts from the original game, makes it feel like less of a new game and more of a graphics/text hack.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

davidvinc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 11:10:14 am »
I've downloaded 4 different roms and none of them work right. Also, I can't use SNEStool to add a header because I have windows 8 and that doesn't let me use it for whatever reason. It's a shame because it seemed like a fun hack.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:12:37 am »
Just use a hex editor and add 512 (0x200) 00 bytes to the beginning of the file.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 12:40:23 pm »
Where did all the Reverb/echo effects in the music go?  That was the one thing that really made the music feel alive, but to see it excised to save SPC700 RAM is a real shame.  Echo effects are essential to making it seem like there are far more sound channels than there really are, without it, you can hear every note cut.
Also, still really early in the game, but I don't like seeing unaltered maps and event scripts from the original game, makes it feel like less of a new game and more of a graphics/text hack.

I did the music, I'm sure it's not going to be as professionally done as the original songs since I'm doing them manually without the aid of anything else that would tell me what to place where, and how much of what to use at what points, so it's mighty difficult. The echo and reverb is there, just not as dynamically well done as the original songs it's safe to say.

So is it every song so far that stands out to you or some specifically you could point out that I could maybe work on? To make a long story short I basically kick up the reverb for songs without drums, and then down for drum heavy songs or it sounds like it's being played in a cave. I did my best with the song dynamics and so far there has been just one complaint in the audio category.

As for the maps, that is a massively huge undertaking and unfortunately the way FF6 is, with the maps, you can't exactly create new ones or even edit pre-existing maps that much without getting an error. This hack isn't as complete as a Crimson Echoes for example, so if you keep that in mind that it's a more of a large mod of FF6, that should reduce the amount of hyper criticalness I hope. :laugh: I am sorry if I portrayed the hack to be as complete as you may have hoped it would be.

Thanks for the comments and feedback, I do appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:17:31 pm by Gi Nattak »

Warrax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 01:22:50 pm »
I've downloaded 4 different roms and none of them work right. Also, I can't use SNEStool to add a header because I have windows 8 and that doesn't let me use it for whatever reason. It's a shame because it seemed like a fun hack.

SNEStool is an old DOS program but work just fine if you use DOSBox :)

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 02:24:13 pm »

Or you could use tush.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 02:35:07 pm »
The IPSedit tool included with NSRT allows you to remove the 512-byte header offset on IPS patches which require headered ROMs, too. (Bonus: NSRT allows you to verify your SNES ROMs.)

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 05:04:08 pm »
Also, the Final Countdown song has a lot of glitches and static in there, if not for that, it would be amazing.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 05:14:43 pm »
Song plays good with the latest zsnes, the recommended emulator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwP1CX8VNe4&list=UUTO-KTyy-O23mgO1x4fYdzw

There have been reports of song pops, static and bleeping/glitchy sound issues with some songs on other emulators, especially Snes9x. I'm not exactly sure why this is though, I'd love to have many emulators working 100% with this hack  :( I think it has to do with the ROM being 6mb now, and some of the instruments and song datas are in the expanded data (that song being one of them) and some emulators can't work with that. Just a guess though.

Which emu are you using if I may ask?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:21:19 pm by Gi Nattak »

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 05:45:12 pm »
If it doesn't work correctly on real hardware, you should fix that. You can test on bizhawk, since it utilizes bsnes (both accuracy and performance profiles).

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 06:51:10 pm »
just fyi. It did not work on Snes9x EX+ for android... the game opens but when you press start... nothing happens.
~Current Project:

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 07:07:06 pm »
Work on real hardware is mandatory these days. Zsnes is an old emulator, so this hack will be lost in oblivion very soon.
If the doesn't work on real hardware then it's not a snes game.
If the game works on real hardware then people will be able to play it forever in any emulator.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 07:53:43 pm »
Real hardware meaning what exactly, like a SNES?

That's funny how zsnes plays it fine and it's an old emulator. This is the one I've been using here: http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/emulator/zsnes8.html
It's also been confirmed working perfectly on ZSNES v1.51.
And Snes9x 1.53 as well.
And it also works flawlessly on my PSP emulator oddly enough, s9xTYL.

I just tried it out on BizHawk (EmuHawk) and it works and plays normally, although the sound is all jacked up for me, but then so is every other ROM I tried so it's something else.
I don't want to blame the hack for it not working on android phone emus that don't support larger ROMS. It's nothing I can really fix on my side.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:04:15 pm by Gi Nattak »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 08:50:57 pm »
ZSNES is known to be inaccurate ESPECIALLY in the sound department.
Inaccurate enough that a LOT of Super Mario World hacks were developed using a music replacement tool that was found to break on newer emulators and real hardware. A few years ago SMW Central declared any affected hacks unsupported, I believe.

If it's a mapping issue, higan/bsnes does allow you to write custom mapper definitions.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 10:00:00 pm »
Real hardware meaning what exactly, like a SNES?

That's funny how zsnes plays it fine and it's an old emulator.

Yes, exactly. It's old and moldy. By no means should zsnes be the gold standard for compatibility these days.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 10:03:09 pm »
I am also curious on what specific songs are to your unliking Dwedit.  There are several tunes that I did thay were tested by myself on real hardware before given to Nattak for this hack.  I've also tested a large portion of this hack on real hardware and didn't find anything that would make this unplayable or difficult to listen to.  Now I haven't beaten it so I cannot say the whole game is that way but everything I experienced was good. 

And "reverb" and or "echo" can be overrated and used to cover up imperfections.  This is why on my SPC works I use these as compliments rather than something overpowered.  Of course this isn't true of the original score as a whole but I have seen a ton of custom SPC sequences in various game hacks that use reverb or echo to hide sloppy sequencing and or wrong octaves/notes.  Just my opinion as an SPC hacker.  :D

This is a great and new FF6 experience that shouldn't be judged on what music one doesn't like.  ;)