News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Trying to translate a game  (Read 1575 times)

Lime

• View Profile
Trying to translate a game
« on: November 03, 2014, 01:52:08 pm »
Hello!
I want to change the language from Japanese to English in the game Sim City Jr for the SFC. Because the game is available in English on the PC, it shouldn't be too difficult.
I have never done stuff like this before and I need some help, this is as far as I have gotten:
With WindHex I have found where all the characters are located, they are at the offset 00071FDE and it looks like this (viewed in Tile Layer Pro):

I have tried to make a table for the characters but the information on how from the Getting Started page is very outdated and I can't seem to get it to work.

Any help is appreciated!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
Re: Trying to translate a game
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:12:35 pm »
Hello!
I want to change the language from Japanese to English in the game Sim City Jr for the SFC. Because the game is available in English on the PC, it shouldn't be too difficult.
I have never done stuff like this before and I need some help, this is as far as I have gotten:
With WindHex I have found where all the characters are located, they are at the offset 00071FDE and it looks like this (viewed in Tile Layer Pro):

I have tried to make a table for the characters but the information on how from the Getting Started page is very outdated and I can't seem to get it to work.

Any help is appreciated!

Actually, that page is still relevant for the topic you raised, method-wise.
The picture tells you the order of the characters. And you hope they are number X+O where X is an unknown constant value, and O is the order in that picture.
Most likely, you will want to run a relative search with a work you know from the game. I haven't tried that game so I don't know any, but let's suppose the game contains スーパーロボット.
ボ would be number 160 on your picture (or 161 if you start counting from 1).
ー would be 162.
etc.
in a relative search tool you enter these values one after the other, because the word appears like this and we hope the letters are in the same order aas in the picture.
Search for it. If it works, be happy.
If it doesn't work, give it another try by allowing 1 extra character between the numbers (ex: 161,*,162 instead of 161,162), just in case the game encodes characters on 2 bytes.
"thingy32" seems to still run on Win7, if that helps.

Oh, and the picture you showed doesn't seem to always be properly aligned with characters, but it is hard to tell. I would recommend looking for the palette to make sure pixels are ok. (The palette is often near the pixels daa.)