News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Navi Tracker's translation, anyone?  (Read 4250 times)

mikey3

• View Profile
Navi Tracker's translation, anyone?
« on: November 01, 2014, 07:58:15 pm »
So I was cleaning out my hard drive today, and I came across my Four Swords + iso. I figured what the heck, I'll see if I can do anything with it since Navi Trackers wasn't released in English. Well, not only did I figure out the text and pointers (It's in regular shift-jis) but I also extracted the graphics (their just .dds format). Here's some screenshots (sorry there's only 2, I didn't feel like rebuilding the iso again  :))

Now, as for the voice acting, I can extract/insert new audio into the game. However, right now the text is my priority.

So is anyone interested in translating this?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:20:58 pm by mikey3 »

Jeville

• View Profile
Re: Navi Tracker's translation, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:10:48 pm »
I would leave the voice acting alone, and pretend they are speaking in Hylian.

I don't know Japanese either, but am interested to see this translated. :)

mikey3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 01:09:35 pm »
I would leave the voice acting alone, and pretend they are speaking in Hylian.
Yeah, that may be what I do. Not only do I have to get someone to translate it, I also would have to find new voice actors.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 04:33:34 pm »
Has anyone managed to emulate it properly, for starters? For me, it hangs here (even on recent Dolphin versions, before you mention the version here):
Spoiler:

After I choose a nickname on the GBA and press Start, the "Look to the TV" prompt appears and Tetra says something.
Then a "Look to the GBA" icon appears and the controls don't respond anymore (the game doesn't even care if I unplug the GBA/Controllers.. a softlock?). And nothing new happens. I'm stuck here.
Both "Look to TV/GBA" icons continue blinking, and Tetra yawns after a while.

(Bonus)
Spoiler:

Here's some control codes I figured out, if that's any help:

00 = End Current Dialogue
0A = Line Break

[Colors]
1A 06 FF 00 00 XX = Makes next text in the color XX (it's present before every text)
Values: XX=?
01: Red,
04: White,
05: Green,
06: Pink,
09: Brown-black (standard color)

[Icons]
1A 07 00 00 08 1A 3E = Start button
1A 07 00 00 04 20 33 = GBA icon

You might have found the prototype English logo, I think :P (it's there)

The two Satellaview Marvelous Mouhitotsu no Takarajima games (not the regular SFC game, which is a bit different) have mostly the same gameplay as Navi Trackers, which is essentially the third BS game, and they're much easier to translate (not so much to restore missing BS content as subtitles like Zelda 3 BS translators did, though).
Just saying if you're interested in the gameplay style itself rather than the Zelda connection.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:42:21 pm by GHANMI »

mikey3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 08:00:57 pm »
Has anyone managed to emulate it properly, for starters? For me, it hangs here (even on recent Dolphin versions, before you mention the version here):
Spoiler:

After I choose a nickname on the GBA and press Start, the "Look to the TV" prompt appears and Tetra says something.
Then a "Look to the GBA" icon appears and the controls don't respond anymore (the game doesn't even care if I unplug the GBA/Controllers.. a softlock?). And nothing new happens. I'm stuck here.
Both "Look to TV/GBA" icons continue blinking, and Tetra yawns after a while.

(Bonus)
Spoiler:

Here's some control codes I figured out, if that's any help:

00 = End Current Dialogue
0A = Line Break

[Colors]
1A 06 FF 00 00 XX = Makes next text in the color XX (it's present before every text)
Values: XX=?
01: Red,
04: White,
05: Green,
06: Pink,
09: Brown-black (standard color)

[Icons]
1A 07 00 00 08 1A 3E = Start button
1A 07 00 00 04 20 33 = GBA icon

You might have found the prototype English logo, I think :P (it's there)

The two Satellaview Marvelous Mouhitotsu no Takarajima games (not the regular SFC game, which is a bit different) have mostly the same gameplay as Navi Trackers, which is essentially the third BS game, and they're much easier to translate (not so much to restore missing BS content as subtitles like Zelda 3 BS translators did, though).
Just saying if you're interested in the gameplay style itself rather than the Zelda connection.

Well, I haven't actually attempted to play the game beyond the name entry screen; to enjoy the game you would need to play it on a real Gamecube anyways, so Dolphin compatibility doesn't matter. The game lags so much in Dolphin for me it literally takes 10 minutes to get to the name entry screen.

Also, thanks for the control codes! I knew the first two, but I haven't looked into the colors that much.

And yeah, I have found the English logo :p
There's also a video (commercial?) of the game hidden in the iso.

I'm mostly doing this because I'm a Zelda fan, so I'm not really interested in the others :)
Thanks for suggesting them though.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 04:17:19 am »
Trying to translate a game without emulators can get pretty troublesome (and costly).
And you'll probably need to ASM hack the actual GBA binary part included (needing emulation) to translate the NPC dialogue (which appears only on the GBA screen, and there's lots of it).
Maybe you should contact the Dolphin emulator devs and tell them about this issue?
The GBA compatibility isn't really that much high on their priority list, but they might be interested if they hear about your project. It worked with PPSSPP for FF Type-0 and ToP X, at least.