News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Question about translation prices  (Read 9039 times)

Seihen

• View Profile
Re: Question about translation prices
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 09:32:46 am »
Now calculate how many copies of the book you'd have to sell to make this much money back. (Minus production costs and taxes ofc). I have a really hard time seeing that kind of audience for such a ultra niche product. The game SMTIV sold 200k copies in the west. That even 10% of those would be interested in these books seems optimistic to me and that would require you to make more than 10$ profit per book.

I think the assumption is that some (a lot?) of the money will come from Kickstarter, which will be basically "free" capital to work with.
The problem is that the people funding on Kickstarter (who will probably want a free book for their funding) are in all likelihood the majority of the audience for the book.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 10:01:09 am »
I think the assumption is that some (a lot?) of the money will come from Kickstarter, which will be basically "free" capital to work with.
The problem is that the people funding on Kickstarter (who will probably want a free book for their funding) are in all likelihood the majority of the audience for the book.

Yeah but it's the same problem. Instead of needing 20k people to pay 15$ for a book you need to find 20k people who want to pledge 15$ for a book that might or not happen. I see more and more solid game projects on kickstarter who have troubles even reaching 50k these days.

I don't want to talk this project down, I would find it very nice if those books actually become avaiable in English. I'd just urge the author to really really really think this through from start to finish before sinking any kind of personal funds into it.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

shu

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 06:14:40 pm »
Hmm.. is that including cover art? I know you mentioned licensing the pictures IN the book, but the cover might be a separate story, or you may need to get a new one drawn.
But enough of being negative!

Any idea how you'd go about marketing this on Kickstarter? Unfortunately, you can't really provide a translation of the text up prior to licensing it, but no one really wants to put up money for something not yet translated and of dubious quality. Chicken/egg issue. Maybe see if they'll let you do the prologue or something? Find some of the Japanese promotional materials and translate those? Gonna want to be careful about keeping costs down, of course.

I was told "Regarding the book cover, if you are merely adding English text to the existing Japanese design (ie- no alterations in color, shape, size, etc of the illustrations), you will not need to pay any extra permission fees; however, you will be required to submit the cover design for the proprietor's approval."

I'm still figuring out what to do for the kickstarter.

Now calculate how many copies of the book you'd have to sell to make this much money back. (Minus production costs and taxes ofc). I have a really hard time seeing that kind of audience for such a ultra niche product. The game SMTIV sold 200k copies in the west. That even 10% of those would be interested in these books seems optimistic to me and that would require you to make more than 10$ profit per book.

I would need to sell 5,000 copies of the book, for 250,000$ as the book would be 50$
2.5% of people would need to be interested xD

I'm going by if I have to hire a company but a freelancer will probably be better but either way it will be 110,00-150,00$(depending who translates it) for the translation.

Depending on how many color pages there are will determine how much printing cost.
Lets say there is 200 color pages, the book will cost 17.83$ to print.  Fukkan's agent is away but he actually returns today I believe, then he can tell me how many color pages there is.

Fukkan is taking 12% so thats 30,000%
kickstarter is taking 5% so 12,500$
and paypal takes 3% so 7,500$

I forgot The initial fee of 1,500$ to fukkan
translation(110,000) + printing($89,130.71) + fukkan(30,000)+ kickstarter&paypal(20,000) = 250,630

Originally i forgot to include the paypal fee so that where the profit was from.

As for taxes I should be able to deduct everything as business expenses except for any profits made.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 07:36:56 pm »
I have to admit that I don't know too much about the series, but I have to ask: wouldn't it make more sense to just try to kickstart the first book in the series (it's a trilogy, right?) and leave the other two as "stretch goals"? I mean, it's much easier to ask for less money upfront than to need $250k right away, not meet the goal, and then get nothing.

Just my opinion, at least.

shu

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 09:30:09 pm »

I have to admit that I don't know too much about the series, but I have to ask: wouldn't it make more sense to just try to kickstart the first book in the series (it's a trilogy, right?) and leave the other two as "stretch goals"? I mean, it's much easier to ask for less money upfront than to need $250k right away, not meet the goal, and then get nothing.

Just my opinion, at least.

I was planning on releasing all 3 volumes combined in one book but you're right, it probably would be better to just do the first volume, then set the other 2 volumes stretch goals. That would be a lot more reasonable. Thank you for the idea.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 03:14:55 pm »
If one's serious about looking for a translator, particularly one with prior experience with this series, then contacting Kevin Frane may be worthwhile. Assuming of course, everything else falls into place first. They translated the recently published Avatar Tuner (Digital Devil Saga) novel.

http://www.bentobooks.com/avatar-tuner/kevin-frane-interview.html

In addition to that, they've expressed some interest in this particular project. Assuming of course, all legal contracts are taken care of, and things are in order.

http://dds-net.proboards.com/thread/759/
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."