News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: English Chrono Trigger patch for Japanese rom?  (Read 15739 times)

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: English Chrono Trigger patch for Japanese rom?
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 07:51:54 pm »
An urban legend, because:
a. It's not emulation. The PS1 wasn't powerful enough for that. It only loads a few things from that ROM, or so I hear.
b. Its load times were bad over in Japan too.

Thanks a lot for your reply :)
That said the bit about Twinbee Collection PSP having a SNES emulator was from this youtube video (recorded with a toaster). It's not perfect either..

Quote from: Youtube vid author
TwinBee Portable actually uses a standard SMC format ROM image of the SNES game Pop 'n TwinBee, split into four parts. The Buster Busts Loose ROM is the same size as Pop 'n TwinBee, so I simply split in into four parts using a hex editor, then replaced the files in the UMD ISO image. The altered ISO image was then loaded using DA's custom firmware. This seems to work for *some* games, but not others. I have not tried any ROMs of a different size.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 11:33:36 am »
This suggests that the patch probably just contains the entire contents of the US ROM, making it kind of pointless.  That's not really a "loophole".

I don't know why the text would be garbled instead of just being in Japanese.
I remember that. They probably didn't consider that, but considering people very quickly found out this "patch" would allow almost any file to be turned into Chrono Trigger, Whirlpool removed it very shortly after it was posted.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 11:44:18 pm »
You may want to contact someone at the Chrono Compendium website about this.  They worked extensively with the game and even created the awesome 'Temporal Flux' utility used to edit the game.  They should be able to help you with such a project.  I don't doubt they can rework their existing fan-translation to be applied to a Japanese version of Chrono Trigger.  :)

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 04:08:01 am »
You may want to contact someone at the Chrono Compendium website about this.  They worked extensively with the game and even created the awesome 'Temporal Flux' utility used to edit the game.  They should be able to help you with such a project.  I don't doubt they can rework their existing fan-translation to be applied to a Japanese version of Chrono Trigger.  :)

Why would they do that?
BTW, "because OP doesn't want to buy the US cart" doesn't count as a reason.
It's not like there's a shortage of SNES games to reverse engineer either.