News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What utilities do I need to patch .rar files?  (Read 9167 times)

FlyingFire64

• View Profile
What utilities do I need to patch .rar files?
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:55:46 am »
I remember making a thread with this subject, but I never specified which type of patches I wanted to apply, and the utilities that were recomended to me were not for .rar files because of that. I'm making this thread to find out which utilities I need for .rar files, obviously. Thanks in advance.

Dashman

• View Profile
Re: What utilities do I need to patch .rar files?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 10:19:18 am »
Hm... wait a second. You want to patch a RAR file? Like in a Winrar file? Are you sure you don't want to patch whatever is INSIDE the RAR file?

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:37:39 am »
A patch doesn't necessarily apply to a file type. A patch simply contains all the changes and it is made by comparing the file no1 (ie the original game) with the file no2 (ie hack).

So why would you want to do this with the rar file. Can be done obviously if you want to change the rar file-1 into rar file-2. But this is unusual, since it has nothing to do with playing or patching roms. It will simpy change one rar file into another rar file.

I think you want to unzip the rar first?

This patcher can create patches by comparing Any 2 files
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/917/

It can also patch anything to anything, but this doesn't mean that the game will work. For instance if you patch one of the IPS patches on this site to any RAR file, the game will not work (obviously).

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:01:05 pm »
I have seen a few people apply patches to scene archives or archives where the ROM is over the 16 meg size limit of IPS but the compressed archive isn't. There are any number of well established, inside and outside ROM hacking, formats that can step up where IPS falls over nowadays though.

What I imagine happened though was someone gave the complete set of patching instructions for the near braindead and that included something along the lines of "make sure you do not apply it to the RAR file, you need to extract them and apply them to the extracted game files"*).

*you may laugh but I have seen the "it didn't extract" comment more than a few times when winrar also associated itself with iso files and used a similar icon.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 06:28:01 am »
I was just thinking about this. The .bin files on my comp were sometimes asociated with winRar. If someone thinks this is the actual rar file and wants to extract it, then they are beyond help. (Hope this is not a case here, but then again, why would someone want to patch the actual rar file).

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:55:18 pm »
but I never specified which type of patches I wanted to apply

I still haven't seen this in this thread; what are you trying to do?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 11:55:48 am »
It was pretty much answered in another thread: he needs to un-RAR the file first, then patch.
If you don't want to pay for WinRAR, I'm sure there's several free alternatives. Like 7-zip.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018