News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: !!! Mario Kart on Game Boy Color project !!!  (Read 8881 times)

S.L

• View Profile
!!! Mario Kart on Game Boy Color project !!!
« on: September 27, 2014, 09:53:27 am »
Hi everyone!  :woot!:

I come to you to present my project of RomHacking: make a Mario Kart Game Boy Color (in fake 3D)

As you surely know, the Game Boy Color is one of the Nintendo consoles that do not have a Mario Kart dedicated ...

The idea would be to change the textures of the game Toy Story Racer to create this game!

Here you can see a video demonstration of Toy Story Racer and so see the variety of things present in this game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5bnqk0rahk

Initially I (with your help) could change the characters, objects and decorative elements of the game and its menu, in a second step we could try to change the tracks from the game (not required because it is more hard and it therefore requires more work).

The problem is that I do not know how to change these textures ... I tried TileMolester and Tile Layer Pro to no avail (I can not set me on the Game Boy Color's tile editor).  :'(

That's why I come to ask for help to explain how, or why not get started in this project, if you think that you can do it alone (of course it would be nice to share the result).

Of course, if you have talents in the Pixel Art and you wish participate this project, you may share your achievements in this topic.  :thumbsup:

Thank you very much in advance, if you have ideas or suggestions thank you for the offer :)

Scuse my english, I'm French.

S.L

• View Profile
Re: !!! Mario Kart on Game Boy Color project !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 09:57:49 am »
Thank you for your " help " ;)

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 09:59:30 am »
okay here's the thing, we're not really big on doing people's work for them

S.L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 10:05:42 am »
No, I don't want necessarily someone to do it for me, but rather that it becomes a cooperative work. First, it would be nice if you could explain to me how to edit a file .gbc because when I open it with Tile Layer Pro I can not see in more of 4 colors (and even other editor).

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 06:53:23 pm »
No, I don't want necessarily someone to do it for me, but rather that it becomes a cooperative work. First, it would be nice if you could explain to me how to edit a file .gbc because when I open it with Tile Layer Pro I can not see in more of 4 colors (and even other editor).

A couple of things to understand. One, it's near impossible for a less experienced hacker to pull together a group project involving more experienced hackers. Group projects tend to fall apart unless they're run by a skilled, driven person who can hold everything together and push the project forward, so people tend to shy away from cooperative hacking unless you have some demonstrable progress and experience right off the bat. The other thing is that, from what I understand, the race tracks, graphically, are stored as some sort of compressed video. Tile editors will be useless if this is the case. You would need to reverse engineer the video format, write a dumper and inserter, and finally edit the graphics.