News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Quick Japanese text translation NEEDED for NES ROM Hack. (Short transl.)  (Read 2647 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Hello community.

Some time ago I was working on the Title Screen hack of Akumajou Densetsu:
www.romhacking.net/hacks/1983

I always had the little doubt about the Vice Translations' work.
Can anyone that knows something about Japanese language help me to translate the Prelude Scrolling text of Akumajou Densetsu (aka Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse in the USA)?

Here are the text images I need to work on the proper translation:

Only that text is the one I want be sure of, the rest is good.
All I could translate was the first line, which should be.
"15th Century Europe" (...or something similar) XD

I would greatly appreciate the help with this part of the translation, and your contribution will be included in the hack of course!

Seihen

• View Profile
It’s the 15th century, Europe. In these dark times is Vlad Tepes of Transylvania; a man best feared. They call him Dracula.
He, overjoyed by murder and never tired of utter destruction, revived the magic once lost to the ancient past and called the dark lord to our world.
Using the demon’s power, the crazed ruler summoned forth abominable beasts into the world and plunged all of Wallachia into a land of darkness and murder.

The ruler, crazed with his own ambitions, desired to spread his magical power all across Europe.  He would split open and bathe the land in blood…

The orthodox church had watched these events unfold, and struck out, sending forth an army.  In Wallachia, there were also those who wished to face Dracula.
However, not a single man came back alive.

Left with no other options, the church chose to entrust the slaying of Dracula to the Belmont family, known as the true vampire hunters. The Belmont family dates back to ancient times, a family known for surviving encounters with abominable monsters.

However, they were feared and shunned by the people, precisely for their inhuman abilities.  They had removed themselves from the public eye, and not been seen by anyone in many years. 
The priest used all manners available to him and was able to meet with one in the Belmont line.  The young man’s name was Ralph Belmont.

Over 100 years have passed since the time of Simon Belmont, and the battle between Dracula and man is about to begin…

I took some liberties to make it sound more reasonable in English (combining two sentences into one, etc.), but this is what it says. It's kinda long, though, so you're going to have to make edits to fit it into the screen size. Probably gonna have to cut it a lot, or make it spread across more screens.

Let me know if you have any questions!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
I took some liberties to make it sound more reasonable in English (combining two sentences into one, etc.), but this is what it says. It's kinda long, though, so you're going to have to make edits to fit it into the screen size. Probably gonna have to cut it a lot, or make it spread across more screens.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Wow, thank you so much for the translation!
I actually like that one much more than the one in the hack, but I would have some issues to make it all fit into the text screen as I have a limitation of 21 characters per line and 11 rows to work with.
And that is not counting into consideration that from the 3rd screen to the last one, the image crops the text, so that leaves even less characters.

Even though, I will try to change it a little bit and modify the parts I can to make it as accurate to your translation as possible.
THANK YOU AGAIN!
VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Seihen

• View Profile
Glad it helped! Best of luck with your revision. Unfortunately, English is just a far wordier language and takes up so much space to say the same thing that it really takes a flair for editing to get across the same with less.

Really gotta admire the work on some of those old NES and SNES RPGs!