News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia - Background & Sprite Priority Issue **SOLVED**  (Read 2444 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Tales of Phantasia - Background & Sprite Priority Issue **SOLVED**
« on: September 11, 2014, 07:31:50 am »
As the title implies, I'm having a little trouble on the main menu at the moment.

What I need to happen is to have sprites overlay ALL background layers and not just Layer 3.  I was researching the hell out of it and it mentioned something about the background modes and setting it to a specific value.. (I can't recall which value it was again, I'll have to refind it), but in doing so, it destroyed ALL the graphics in the menu which makes me think it wasn't 'quite' the right piece.

It's basically the last bit that's blocking me from working on the 'Strategy' menu any farther.  The sprites will underlay Layer 1 and 2 but go over 3.  I tried converting the piece I need to Layer 3 but the HDMA just wrecks everything.  I really can't get the right kind of spacing with all 4 chunks on Layer 3 no matter what I do so it just causes a horde of issues.

So my question being, is there something that SPECIFICALLY tells the SNES what priority sprites have over BG's or vice versa?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:46:56 pm by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Revenant

• View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia - Background & Sprite Priority Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 12:42:00 pm »
http://wiki.superfamicom.org/snes/show/Sprites

If you want a sprite to appear above all layers, set its priority to 3. A sprite will appear under layers 1 & 2 but above 3 if its priority is 1 instead; change this and you're good.

(The Backgrounds page has more info about how sprites and backgrounds are ordered for every background mode, but priority 3 does the same thing for every mode.)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia - Background & Sprite Priority Issue
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 01:44:25 pm »
That's the problem I was having.  I couldn't exactly figure out 'what' is causing it do to that.  I now the sprite priority goes along with it but I'm not really sure how to figure out WHERE it's coming from for the sprites.  It's dictated somewhere for them but not sure where.

I just noticed as well.  The PC sprites and any other sprite I've added goes under Layers 1 and 2.. yet the hand selector sprite is ABOVE all layers.  I may have to look around on that to find my answer.

Edit: Found it for the PC's!  I forgot that this games sprite priorities and such are with their palette byte!  Just have to figure out how it works for the sliders and then I'm all ready to go!

Edit 2: Fixed it.  Of course it's right in my face.  The slider's was dictated by the base VRAM value to use for the icon.  One was the icon itself and the other byte was the priority.  All ready to go!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:00:03 pm by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'