News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: final fantasy 6 sound hack.  (Read 4640 times)

lan07

• View Profile
final fantasy 6 sound hack.
« on: September 09, 2014, 04:48:39 am »
I was wondering if it was possible to hack in symphony music from youtube like ssachafi1 into a rom?

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
Re: final fantasy 6 sound hack.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 03:48:13 pm »
I'm not sure what ssachafi1 is, but music hacking FF6 is possible, yes. It requires a lot of tedious work though to stay within the limitations of the sound engine. And it's not easy at all. Here are a couple tuts that might help you achieve your goal:

http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1941&highlight=mml+tutorial
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=493&highlight=music+hacking
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:54:46 pm by Gi Nattak »

lan07

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:47:03 pm »
sschafi1 is a youtube user that remakes game music. example could you use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVC7pH3faKE or does the rom have limitations on music?

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:54:55 pm »
sschafi1 is a youtube user that remakes game music. example could you use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVC7pH3faKE or does the rom have limitations on music?

Yes it does.  You won't be able to import streamed music (ie mp3/m4a).  But you can replace the BRR instrument samples with something a bit better.  For the music itself at best you'll need to compose (sequence) your own music or at worst a MIDI sequence to use the MML engine Nattak posted about above.  Music hacking/modifying had come a long way and thankfully this game is well documented so if your inclined you can certainly mske an attempt.  :)

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 07:03:27 pm »
Well, if you wanted to replace the entire soundtrack with a streamed orchestral version, byuu's MSU1 extension is your best bet. It makes the task feasible (in fact, it was designed with such projects in mind), but you'd still need some 65816 assembler skills to pull it off. That and the hack would only be playable on the bsnes/higan emulator and the sd2snes flashcart, which also implements it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:08:35 pm by mziab »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 06:39:39 am »
I must say usually I don't like such remixes of video games music because they're too different from the original, but I must say I just changed my mind. Those are beyond awesome. It'd be just amazing to play with this soundtrack.

I also made some experiment of FF6 music re-orchestration for fun, but I never published them anywhere. They re definitely inferior to sschafi's ones. I made them faithful to the original, while sounding more "real".

Now, of course there is not enough space in a SNES cart to insert all those streamed music ! One of those in BRR would be about the size of the whole game.

The PSX version could be an option as there's virtually unlimited space on the discs, but my persional opinion is that this version sucks balls. It'd also be extremely difficult to hack in.

The GBA version could probably handle 20 minutes or so of such music if compressed very harshly, however, that's still not enough.

The MSU1 seems the only viable option then.

EDIT : Well I must say I change my mind once more. Some of the song he remastered are really good, but a lot of them also aren't that good. There's a lot of mistakes and notes that aren't held long enough. It's quite disturbing.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:42:27 am by Bregalad »

lan07

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 02:52:46 pm »
What about the android version?

September 11, 2014, 02:59:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
His aren't perfect unless there are better ones out there but it sounds more real than the original.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:59:13 pm by lan07 »

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 10:09:04 pm »
I remember at one point somebody made a program for Chrono Trigger that looked at the song number in RAM and automatically played MP3 files from a folder. I can't find it now, though, but something like that would be great for customizing your own soundtrack.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 11:28:59 pm »
That would be the CTMLoader, made by Zerradeth for the Flames of Eternity hack.
I emailed him long ago about making one for FFVI, relatively easily hopefully, since they share a similar music engine and SPC commands and all that, but in his own words:

"Okay, after some quick investigation, while the music formats for the game are the same, the engine itself is different. I'm not sure how different, but it at least uses different command numbers and obviously different offsets for sending information to the SPC. It would require a good chunk of rewriting and the behaviors that CTM mimics to "emulate" CT's audio engine might not be the same as those in FFVI."

I'm sure it's entirely possible though for someone who knows how to go about it, using CTM as a source - he seemed to be okay with that actually.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:34:26 pm by Gi Nattak »

dn

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:16:22 pm »
I would honestly be more interested in MSU-1 implementation, personally, as there is actually a method to utilize that without external software, though limited. It's a more natural method of streamed music. I know very little about hardware-level stuff though, so I wouldn't know where to begin in trying to do so.

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 05:17:58 pm »
There's a guy who made such an implementation but he won't release his work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGlIKAukm1U

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 06:12:17 pm »
I don't get why people do that. "Look what I made, but which you can't ever have!

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 06:21:44 am »
Judging by some of the comments here, he wanted to charge money for the patches at first, but then gave up on the idea for fear of legal trouble.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:27:58 am by mziab »