News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 353443 times)

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #300 on: June 08, 2016, 11:39:19 pm »
So here's some before and after screenshots of the early development vs final design.  I thought it might be interesting to show how the project has progressed from early concept to present:

Early design is on the left and current design is on the right

(The results of my endless tinkering)

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 08, 2016, 11:54:39 pm »
^Nice. Really nice. It has evolved a lot.

Btw, is it still to late to throw criticism about your hack? Because I was thinking that you should try and move the mini-map to the top right corner of the screen, just like in Super Metroid, Metroid: Zero Mission, and Metroid Fusion.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:09:16 am by John Enigma »

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 09, 2016, 12:09:19 am »
Feedback is always welcome.  I think placement of the map is a personal preference thing (left or right side).  Because of the sprite limitation of the NES along horizontal rows the map has to be below the missiles and energy sprites.  With that in mind it just looks neater if it's under the energy and missile stats since it has to be lower anyway.  You could place it on the right but it would still be lower.  It's kind of nice though to have only one location to have to look on the screen to get all your stats and location info IMO.   
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:38:46 pm by Grimlock »

MegaManModelT101

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 09, 2016, 12:11:52 am »
Looks pretty good so far.

Now here's a question for you Grimlock and I hope I don't sound completely stupid with this question. How will we be picking between Samus' or Dawn's storyline? Would it be in the start menu after hitting start like originally it'd have newgame or password? And I suppose this is more of just me being an old old Metroid classic fanboy, but is it possible to unlock Samus in the classic leotard? Or is that role more or less taken by Dawn? If not I'll still enjoy Dawn's portion of the game most probably. :)

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 09, 2016, 12:58:48 am »
Actually there is no Samus in this hack, although I could make it so you play with the Samus sprite after you beat the game once....

The suit sprite you see was an early sprite from the Roid'Z hack that has since been swapped out.

A little more story background regarding Dawn and Samus:

This takes place before Metroid 1 so these events (in the Rogue Dawn universe) are what directly influences Samus and what makes her so obsessed with the Metroids and space pirates as a whole.  Dawn is a mystery to Samus, she knows virtually nothing about her.  Her existence is only confirmed by the accounts of those who encountered her on planet SR388 as well as a DNA sample recovered after the incident on SR388 that proves her to be closely related to Samus.  Her fate is unknown, Samus never speaks of her and reportedly never personally encounters her throughout her journeys after the incident on SR388 (The dawn of the Metroid thread perpetrated by the rogue human Dawn Aran and a relatively unknown space pirate group lead by the notorious fugitive general Ridley).

MegaManModelT101

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 09, 2016, 01:07:21 am »
Ah. Alright. I wasn't quite sure so I figured it'd be best to ask to clarify. Also sent you a note. Check it out when you can. Take care. :)

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 09, 2016, 02:48:54 am »
I'm really, really looking forward to playing this Grimlock.  I've popped in a few times over the years to see it's progress, and it's exciting to see it finally nearing the end.  :)  All those comparison images you posted are really cool!  I love how more detailed everything has become.

My favorite image, though, is the one in the first post with the rain.  Rain is the best!  :P

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 09, 2016, 02:58:53 am »
Thanks for the support icepenguin, and thanks for your awesome Zelda 2 hacks!  Zelda 2 is a game I've considered working on in the future, nothing certain at this point but it's on my list of potentials.   :beer:

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 09, 2016, 12:12:02 pm »
Btw @Grimlock, you said in OP that you plan on releasing the hack in the first quarter of 2016. But the first quarter is (if I'm not mistaken) over.

So when do you really plan on releasing it?

bleedingapathy

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 09, 2016, 12:38:51 pm »
It will be released when it's released :P

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 09, 2016, 12:57:49 pm »
^Well, the only date I could think is August 2016, because that would mark the 30th Anniversary of when Metroid (Famicom Disk System version) came out for the first time in Japan.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 09, 2016, 08:25:52 pm »
WOOOW. Holy fricking shipploads. This looks totally amazing!!

Can I make one suggestion please? It looks like you have changed the Samus character graphics sprites. This is fine but in my personal experience with another Metroid hack called Metroid Origin (one of the best Metroid hacks ever made), they had changed the jumping/spinning mechanics of the Samus graphics sprites and it looked terrible every time Samus jumped and spinned in my opinion.

The original fast vanilla spinning is way better than the custom Origin graphics in my opinion and so I do make a point to play Origin without any of the custom Samus graphics solely to avoid the bad jump/spin graphics. I think the original Samus sprites are just fine and I absolutely want to avoid any bad spinning sprite graphics that make the character look like Samus is inside of a spin dryer .  :laugh:

So have you edited the jump/spin graphics as well?

If you have I would suggest to leave the Samus sprites as they are in vanilla Metroid and please don't do anything like the Metroid Origin hack authors have done with the jump/spin graphics because that looks terrible.

Thanks for your consideration!
Come with me if you want to live.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 11, 2016, 12:04:16 am »
We've decided on a revised goal for a July release.  Once we have a release candidate we'll do one last play test before we release a 1.0.  After that we'll revise the game if any additional bugs are reported.  Real hardware compatibility will be a goal after the 1.0  release.

The original player sprite has been replaced and the animation is similar to the original.  We haven't modified the walk animation but we may discuss it as we get closer to the release.  :)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #313 on: June 11, 2016, 01:50:17 am »
Could you perhaps post a sneak peek video on youtube? Screenshots are great, but I really want a little look at what the game currently looks like in action.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 11, 2016, 08:36:43 am »
Could you perhaps post a sneak peek video on youtube? Screenshots are great, but I really want a little look at what the game currently looks like in action.

Yes, we have a video that was recorded with the most recent play test ROM.  I'll probably have it up late tonight or tomorrow.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 11, 2016, 02:01:10 pm »
Is it going to be in a trailer format?
That would be cool.
"Metroid - Rogue Dawn Trailer"
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Sikkan

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 11, 2016, 05:54:36 pm »
Only. A. Few. Weeks. More.

Oh, i love the first metroid, even more than super metroid, and i guess this hack Will be sooooooooooo awesome! Really cant wait 😃😃😃😃

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 12, 2016, 12:27:38 am »
Sorry, I haven't read the rest of the thread, so maybe this has been discussed already:

Is the automap optional? Maybe I'm just weird, maybe you've seen some of my hacks, but I think the games are a little more fun without it.

Even if it isn't an in-game toggle, having a separate patch file for it would be cool.

Grimlock

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - \"Metroid - Rogue Dawn\" Work in progress
« Reply #318 on: June 12, 2016, 12:43:41 am »
Sorry, I haven't read the rest of the thread, so maybe this has been discussed already:

Is the automap optional? Maybe I'm just weird, maybe you've seen some of my hacks, but I think the games are a little more fun without it.

Even if it isn't an in-game toggle, having a separate patch file for it would be cool.

I suppose if you wanted to you could just replace all of the map tiles with transparency in Tile Layer Pro (or other tile editing app).  That would probably be the simplest fix if you wanted to play without it.

June 13, 2016, 02:29:00 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Enjoy:

Metroid Rogue Dawn Teaser #1

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:29:00 am by Grimlock »

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 13, 2016, 09:27:13 pm »
So good!  It looks so much better in action!  :D  I don't think I've ever been hyped for a rom hack until now.   :happy:

I seen a few posts about a "no map" version, and that might actually be cool.  Maybe you could include an small additional patch to remove it, unless there already is an option to toggle it on/off?  I think it's great, but I can understand why some may want to play without it.  Anyway, thanks for posting that teaser.  It's been too long since I played a Metroid game.