News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 353531 times)

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #280 on: March 24, 2016, 11:11:25 am »
This hack looks amazing. This is definitely beyond my expectations. Is this hack released or what? Can I download this right now?

We're testing out the level design right now to help balance the difficulty and general playability.  After this the level design will be refined based on the feedback we receive.  After that we'll test out the game again, most likely bringing on a few additional play testers so we can get feedback on the changes (from the original play testers) and also some feedback from a new perspective unaffected by the first play through.

Changes will include modifying/eliminating enemy placement, changes to the general design of certain screens, and various other changes.

Now that we are at this point I can't really give an estimated amount of time to completion, basically just until we get everything right.

Also once complete I'm considering making an easy version of the hack with modified passageways, fewer enemies, easier to find items.  Currently the difficulty is somewhere between Metroid 1 and Super Metroid, meaning that it's more difficult that the original in many cases which some play testers have expressed difficulty in a few areas.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 24, 2016, 11:59:30 am »
We're testing out the level design right now to help balance the difficulty and general playability.  After this the level design will be refined based on the feedback we receive.  After that we'll test out the game again, most likely bringing on a few additional play testers so we can get feedback on the changes (from the original play testers) and also some feedback from a new perspective unaffected by the first play through.
Awesome. I'll be glad to help if you need anything.

I'll probably be looking for a donate button when this is released. Like damnit. Shuttup and take my money.
Come with me if you want to live.

Link

• Nintendo never dies.
    • View Profile
    • Retrogaming
« Reply #282 on: April 25, 2016, 05:06:48 am »
As an old, very old Metroid, Metroid2, Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero Mission gamer, I just cant wait to play this jewel, in fact I register my account here just to follow the progress of the project.

It seems to be very good Metroid, at last. I dont like Prime or alikes, Other M is better but not so far as the good old ones in Nes/Snes versions.

Hope you release the game soon, meanwhile I will play Metroid in Nes just to warm up.

Congratulations!

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 26, 2016, 12:34:57 am »
Thanks, we're getting close.  I'm pretty tied up with a move right now but definitely looking forward to getting back at it in a couple weeks.  Unfortunately there won't be much progress until then.  I'll post an update when progress ramps up again.

Sam Atoms

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 26, 2016, 07:18:34 pm »
Hope you release the game soon, meanwhile I will play Metroid in Nes just to warm up.

Congratulations!

I might also recommend Grimlock's own run-up hack, Metroid Incursion:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1992/

Provides a one-tenth-sized-dose preview of what Rogue Dawn will be bringing, and yet is arguably the best currently available Metroid 1 hack in its own right

Link

• Nintendo never dies.
    • View Profile
    • Retrogaming
« Reply #285 on: May 11, 2016, 10:50:06 am »
I might also recommend Grimlock's own run-up hack, Metroid Incursion:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1992/

Provides a one-tenth-sized-dose preview of what Rogue Dawn will be bringing, and yet is arguably the best currently available Metroid 1 hack in its own right
You are right, its amazing! its really another different game and not just the same Metroid with blocks in different places, worth to play.

And Grimlock, maybe if I go to your home and cook and do your laundry you could finish Rogue Dawn? :P

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 12, 2016, 12:14:12 am »
You are right, its amazing! its really another different game and not just the same Metroid with blocks in different places, worth to play.

And Grimlock, maybe if I go to your home and cook and do your laundry you could finish Rogue Dawn? :P

LOL, you any good at sorting box contents and moving furniture about?  I could use some help there with the actual move wrapped up.  Actually I should be back at it pretty soon.  I just got my desktop reconnected to the internet today, I had to sort out some issues with a badly punched RJ-45 Jack and a couple bad splices I discovered in the attic a couple hours ago.

Thanks for checking out my other hack.  It was meant to be a quick play, maybe taking 1.5 to 2 hours to complete at most.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 02, 2016, 12:11:04 am »
Update:

Just wanted to let everyone know the punch list generated by the play testing is getting increasingly shorter.  I finally got a decent number of uninterrupted hours in on the hack today.  I did a complete play through and re-balanced the difficulty.  The earlier areas are now fairly moderate.  The later areas now have their difficulty ramped as you progress through them.  The final area is a reasonable challenge, the final boss being the greatest challenge in the game.  I did make some changes to make the final battle a few notches lower in difficulty to be more fair.  I added more graphics in the planet surface (blue) area to help differentiate the solid areas from the areas you can traverse.  I fixed some palette issues and cleaned up some of the tile placement throughout the game.  A lot of minor level design fixes got done as well.  There's not a whole lot of level design changes left at this point, mostly other non-game play elements like the graphics changes for the save menu and mission screen.     :thumbsup:

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 02, 2016, 09:12:27 am »
QL

Can't wait
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Link

• Nintendo never dies.
    • View Profile
    • Retrogaming
« Reply #289 on: June 04, 2016, 04:58:40 am »
Cant wait either.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 04, 2016, 11:08:02 am »
I want to ask, since this is a prequel and all, will this game have story cutscenes?

metasieg

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 04, 2016, 01:25:55 pm »
Wow this looks amazing. Can't wait to play.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 04, 2016, 10:37:39 pm »
I want to ask, since this is a prequel and all, will this game have story cutscenes?

No it doesn't have cutscenes like Ninja Gaiden or anything along those lines, it does have in game text though to help drive the storyline.   ;D

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 07, 2016, 10:48:13 pm »
Every time I look at this hack, it always gives me that Super Metroid vibe for some reason. :D

And this is coming from a hack for the first Metroid, which is even better! :)

This hack plus the A2MR (Another Metroid 2 Remake) fan game are a pretty good reminder of Metroid's 30th Anniversary in the USA & Canada this year. And it's much better than the Metroid game that Nintendo wants to deliver.

Thank you @Grimlock.

Btw, is it possible for someone to port this hack using the Classic NES Series version of Metroid for GBA?

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 07, 2016, 11:51:54 pm »

Thank you @Grimlock.

Btw, is it possible for someone to port this hack using the Classic NES Series version of Metroid for GBA?

Thanks, much appreciated, don't forget to thank Snarfblam and Optomon too, they've contributed in pretty significant ways to this project!

I'm not sure about porting, at some point we'll have to test on the PocketNES emulator, I'd figure that would be the best way to play the game on the GBA.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 08, 2016, 01:02:18 am »
Thanks, much appreciated, don't forget to thank Snarfblam and Optomon too, they've contributed in pretty significant ways to this project!

I'm not sure about porting, at some point we'll have to test on the PocketNES emulator, I'd figure that would be the best way to play the game on the GBA.
No problem.

By the by, when I said porting, I meant porting the hack to this version of Metroid:

But if it's okay to you of porting it on PocketNES and NesDS, I'm cool with it either way.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:10:41 pm by John Enigma »

Ziko

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 08, 2016, 06:38:05 pm »
Just waiting any day for this hack and it's killing me! I need some Metroid in my life man you gotta sate this thirst man! This could be one of the best games ever.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #297 on: June 08, 2016, 06:56:39 pm »
I think the GBA classics are just emulated, possibly with some hooks to do things like autosaving passwords. I don't know if the mapper hack/expansion would cause a problem.

seanph

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 08, 2016, 09:07:48 pm »
I plan on using a NES emulator on the PSP and the Wii to play this game. I cant wait to play this!  Thank you to all the talented people involved in this game.  :thumbsup:

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 08, 2016, 09:13:40 pm »
^Oh I'm sure Grimlock will be king, once he releases this Metroid hack.

In the meantime, I'm gonna keep playing Metroid: Zero Mission.