News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 348407 times)

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #260 on: February 20, 2016, 11:47:17 pm »
I always felt the Samus run was around the distinct footstep sound that adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2016, 12:48:18 am »
I'm not an expert but c'mon! Look at the game called "Moon Crystal". In that game even enemies have really smooth walking animations. You can use chr bank switching between frames or chr-ram or something like that to have a lot of tiles to make animations (not expert). Also Metroid ported to powerful MMC5 mapper. MMC5 can do anything you want. Everdrive N8 and even PowerPak supports that mapper.
Sorry for really bad English

Also game called Tom and Jerry (and Tuffy) have smooth walking animation

Well, if (and when) an additional frame animated player sprite doesn't make it into this project you or anyone else is welcome to work that in as an upgrade to the base released project.  I mean that sincerely, if anyone wants to enhance this project further you won't hear any complaints out of me.  I personally think the current animation is adequate, sure, doubling the frames would be pretty sweet but I don't think it's a necessity.  I won't claim to have any expertise regarding the code work required to modify the running animation but there are some significant limitations at play given the fact that this is based on the Metroid game engine which was an early NES release.  Given how much time Myself, Snarfblam, and Optomon have put in to this project to bring it to the level it is at I think reasonable people will be able to except the frame limitation defaulted by the Metroid game engine.

Kurt91

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2016, 01:14:02 am »
It's not so much the number of frames as much as it's simply that Samus's default running animation doesn't seem like the artists took the number of frames into account when designing the animation.

For example, Samus seems to move slower than the animation would suggest, so what about if you made her leg movement less pronounced. You said that the main character in this isn't going to be Samus, so having a character that moves in a more subdued, "Oh shit, I'm going to die any moment!" manner rather than Samus's badass demeanor would make sense, and would possibly work better in the limited frames for the animation.

While I concede that it's probably a lot of work to get an additional movement frame in the animation, would it be difficult to slow down the animation a bit? What if you were to take the leg positions from something like Castlevania, and use something like that? You'd have more natural-looking movement while keeping the number of frames you currently have to work with.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 24, 2016, 08:49:07 am »
I plan on reviewing the animation before we release the patch file.  Given the way the tiles are arranged for each frame it may not allow for much change.  The tiles in some frames are arranged in a rectangular pattern while in other frames skewed to one side.  We don't have any plans to modify the sprites tile layout.

With projects like ours the reality is that we could produce an endless list of feature creep.  People do need to keep in mind this is a game hack, not a completely new game built from the ground up.  Yes, it is technically a new game but it's based off of the original 30 year old Metroid game engine.  The game has been substantially modified but like all things there is always more that could be done.  I have enjoyed working on this project and I think we've achieved all of our major goals with the exception of the last few steps and final release.  Like I said before I think reasonable people will find that this game hack goes far beyond their expectations.

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #264 on: February 24, 2016, 06:22:34 pm »
Oh boy, I know the feeling of feature creep. It's always tempting, but at some point, you have to cut off and release. Anyway, from what I have seen already, it looks like a magnitude better than the original...

My suggestion would be to increase the delay between the frames, without creating new ones. Maybe 1 or 2 frames more...

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2016, 01:33:17 am »
There is something you could try, that 'Infinity's End' did in his metroid hack:

Change the player running animation cycle from

1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4...

To

1-2-3-4-2-3-4...

/dACE

PKstarship

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 28, 2016, 07:58:23 pm »
I was wondering something when playing Metroid today.

There's a thing in Metroid where if you somersault jump, and you fall to a point lower than the place you jumped from, Samus exits her somersault. I then wondered, will this be fixed in Rogue Dawn? It always bothers me because it makes the Screw Attack not useful for enemies below Samus in, say, a vertical shaft.

Nothing big, just curious.  :)

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 29, 2016, 04:15:59 pm »
There is something you could try, that 'Infinity's End' did in his metroid hack:

Change the player running animation cycle from

1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4...

To

1-2-3-4-2-3-4...

/dACE

I'll leave it up to Snarfblam if he wants to experiment with the frame settings.

I was wondering something when playing Metroid today.

There's a thing in Metroid where if you somersault jump, and you fall to a point lower than the place you jumped from, Samus exits her somersault. I then wondered, will this be fixed in Rogue Dawn? It always bothers me because it makes the Screw Attack not useful for enemies below Samus in, say, a vertical shaft.

Nothing big, just curious.  :)

Yea, this was fixed in Rogue Dawn, the screw attack is now more effective.  There's a lot of similar changes to enhance the player controls.   :thumbsup:

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 01, 2016, 01:46:16 am »

I'll leave it up to Snarfblam if he wants to experiment with the frame settings.

No worries - I can hack that in myself after the release, I still have the hex-changes needed lying around somewhere on the computer (I used it in the hack Metroid mOTHER: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1988/).

/dACE
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:17:02 am by dACE »

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 17, 2016, 12:14:36 am »
Quick update: We're now in the process of integrating Optomons custom tracks into the main ROM.  Once complete we're going to be moving into playtesting while we wrap up a few graphical elements for the final release.   :thumbsup:

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 17, 2016, 12:22:24 am »
Great news!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 17, 2016, 01:04:17 am »

Also, drink if you've got a drink, if you don't drink then drink a juice or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0IKJURJTiQ

I've not said much in yer thread but I've been a right lurker. Sometimes you just step back and let the masters do their work.  8)

Really fine work. This is a totally unprecedented piece of fan-made gaming software, and all you did was start with the NES rom. Gosh, it just flabbergasts me.

CONGLATURATION
Yamero~~!

Testyourmine

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 18, 2016, 12:27:18 am »
This is and will probably the best nestroid hack ever

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 18, 2016, 01:44:25 am »
Thanks  :beer:.  We've got a fully playable ROM with custom music now!  I need to do a minor change to the pause map graphics and then we'll be dishing out ROMs to our play testers.  We decided to go with a closed play test group in order to avoid mass distribution of an unfinished product.  My apologies to all else that would be interested in participating that aren't currently included.  On a positive note we have some very talented people who will be participating in our play test session, with their valuable feedback we'll be further refining the game for the final release. 

Mikh

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2016, 12:52:57 am »
Ive only spent an hour with this game so far and I had to jump in here and hype everyone up.

This doesn't feel like a low grade hack done by amateurs this feels like a full on new experience. From the Pixel Art to the beautifully crafted music you guys are in for a treat. Hopefully we can get this play testing done soon and get this to you guys with the quickness. Everyone has put their heart and soul into this game and it shows.

HYPE HYPE HYPE

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 20, 2016, 04:40:59 am »
So far this is no short of AWESOME!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is by far award winning ROM hacking right here!  :beer:

CrAzY

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 20, 2016, 05:05:25 am »
Congratulations on reaching the beta testing phase. I have been following this project on Metroid Construction with bated breath! Had to register to make this comment when I saw the latest posts on here, and because I have been lurking these forums too damn long.  :D Best of luck in finalizing this beautiful hack.

Sikkan

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 20, 2016, 02:25:44 pm »
I just HAD to register to say that the anticipation is strong in this one! I just love Metroid for NES, and yes, I am going to be bald and say that NES Metroid is better than SNES Metroid. And I belive that this mod is simply going to blow my mind when I´ll get my chance to play it!

Great work guys!

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 20, 2016, 06:51:00 pm »
For as impatient as I was waiting to beta test this out, I gotta say that it has such a phenomenal level design which engages the player to really explore and be more cautions as to where they might go and the soundtrack has been so well put together. You can tell that hours of precision have been put into making this hack!  :thumbsup:

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 24, 2016, 01:57:44 am »
This hack looks amazing. This is definitely beyond my expectations. Is this hack released or what? Can I download this right now?
Come with me if you want to live.