[NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21

Started by Grimlock, September 06, 2014, 01:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirteen 1355

Customizing game sounds? Like 'enter Morph Ball' sound effect? What was wrong with the old sound effects?

Or do these new ones improve the game that much?
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Morinis

Quote from: Thirteen 1355 on August 14, 2016, 12:17:35 PM
Customizing game sounds? Like 'enter Morph Ball' sound effect? What was wrong with the old sound effects?

Or do these new ones improve the game that much?

Them changing the sound effects would probably reflect onto game play to make it feel like it is a new game or to match a certain theme they have going for the overhaul.  That's what I think though I can be wrong about my guesses lol :p
ROM Hacker, Reviewer and Critic.

Don't Know What Else To Say So... <3 You!

Grimlock

Quote from: Thirteen 1355 on August 14, 2016, 12:17:35 PM
Customizing game sounds? Like 'enter Morph Ball' sound effect? What was wrong with the old sound effects?

Or do these new ones improve the game that much?


New sounds add a fresh feel and uniqueness to the game.  Some are new sounds replacing the originals while others are modified and enhanced originals. 

Thirteen 1355

Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Satoshi_Matrix

Please make an optional patch to use the original sound effects. The original sound effects of Metroid are as iconic as that of Super Mario Bros. Changing them would cause a nagging sense that something isn't quite right, like when you play on a Famiclone with reverse duty cycles.

I'm not against the idea of new sound effects, but I at least want the option to play without them. Thanks.

Grimlock

Quote from: Satoshi_Matrix on August 17, 2016, 03:32:49 AM
Please make an optional patch to use the original sound effects. The original sound effects of Metroid are as iconic as that of Super Mario Bros. Changing them would cause a nagging sense that something isn't quite right, like when you play on a Famiclone with reverse duty cycles.

I'm not against the idea of new sound effects, but I at least want the option to play without them. Thanks.

This is a completely new game built from the original so new sounds make a lot of sense.  I understand what you mean though.  I'm sure it would be easy enough to offer as an option.  I believe Snarfblam was considering offering a no corner map option as well.  That'll allow some customization options.

cospefogo

Hej guys!

In case of having to make a choice — I would stay with the new sounds.

C.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Thirteen 1355

Well, of course! The new sounds will clearly make the game even more refreshing. It's just that the original sounds were good enough to most people.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

cospefogo

Quote from: Thirteen 1355 on August 17, 2016, 07:42:42 AM
Well, of course! The new sounds will clearly make the game even more refreshing. It's just that the original sounds were good enough to most people.

Agreed!

If we were talking about Castlevania 3, for example, I would never, ever, enjoy a change on the original sound effects (even music)! I know perfectly what you mean, my friend!

Regards!
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Asaki

Quote from: Satoshi_Matrix on August 17, 2016, 03:32:49 AMChanging them would cause a nagging sense that something isn't quite right, like when you play on a Famiclone with reverse duty cycles.

All of the graphics are new, so it isn't going to feel "quite right" either way. It's supposed to feel different.

optomon

I like the prejudice in here. No one except Grimlock has even heard the sound effects yet and there are already calls for not putting them in the game, and that they are just going to come off like automated famiclone tweaks.  ::)

I'm going to tell you all the same thing I've told people who have emailed/PM'd me for being "disappointed" with the music changes: This isn't Metroid 1.

This is Rogue Dawn. The objective here is to leave behind the notion that people are playing the original Metroid game, and enjoy a completely new experience with higher quality graphics, sound, and gameplay.

Castlevania 3 did have many of the same sound effects as the original game, though many of them were modified for the better. I would say in that case they wanted the player to be reminded of the original game, as the gameplay and layout is similar, as were the game's graphical styles. But look at Castlevania 2, a much different direction, and much different sound effects for the most part to fit those changes; the enhancements on the sound and music ended up being the best thing about that game. Would you rather play Castlevania 2 with Castlevania 1 sound effects?

Long story short, I'm aiming for a departure of the original for a newer experience, and not a straight reminder, and I believe that's what Grimlock and Snarfblam are also trying to accomplish.

Thirteen 1355

You clearly don't understand what I said. I love the addition of new and unique stuff into Rogue Dawn, but these are such small changes, so I was kind of astonished that you were going to do this.

Unless you're mentioning someone else...
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

MegaManJuno

Yeah, I was also questioning this "I've never seen/heard it, but I already know that I hate it" mentality. Can we at least wait to see how it goes before hopping on the QQ-Train? ::)

cospefogo

Quote from: optomon on August 17, 2016, 11:16:51 AM
This is Rogue Dawn. The objective here is to leave behind the notion that people are playing the original Metroid game, and enjoy a completely new experience with higher quality graphics, sound, and gameplay.

Castlevania 3 did have many of the same sound effects as the original game, though many of them were modified for the better. [...] Would you rather play Castlevania 2 with Castlevania 1 sound effects?

Yes yes yes...
I absolutely agree.
Maybe I have expressed myself not so clear (English is not my born language)!

I did bring Castlevania 3 to my post because I am very fond of that game in particular, those were THE DAYS, the golden age of my youth in the NES. My first reaction to changing stuff on such title is almost impulsive, since I love it so much as it already is.

But for sure, in the case of a brand new rework, remix, rebuild, new game, new music and new effects are more than welcome. So, I repeat myself:

In case of having to make a choice (between original and new FX) — I would stay with the new sounds.

Please keep up the great work.
I never feel tired to watch the screenshots on the first page.
What a fabulous accomplishment this project has become!

Thanks thanks thanks!
C.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Ziko

My hope is that this will run on nesDS as I emulate these type of games on them. Problem is that some MMC5 games don't run at all or are graphically a mess. The version I used was specifically made to work with some games like The Legend of Link hack as well as some others. This same guy also made a NES version of Super Mario All-Stars but it didn't work and the result was graphical glitches but it wasn't a total loss as you could get all 4 games as separate roms and play them back to back which is what I did.

This game doesn't use MMC5 as a mapper right? I may have misread this during it's development.

Gamerhenky

Quote from: Ziko on August 17, 2016, 12:58:01 PM
This game doesn't use MMC5 as a mapper right? I may have misread this during it's development.

Unfortunately. This game uses a MMC5 mapper. Maybe this game will not work on nesDS :(

optomon

Actually this game uses the MMC3 mapper, and should be fine for emulation. It will need some modification to work on actual hardware though, and I believe Snarfblam is looking into that.

Quote from: cospefogo on August 17, 2016, 12:30:34 PM
Yes yes yes...
I absolutely agree.
Maybe I have expressed myself not so clear (English is not my born language)!

I did bring Castlevania 3 to my post because I am very fond of that game in particular, those were THE DAYS, the golden age of my youth in the NES. My first reaction to changing stuff on such title is almost impulsive, since I love it so much as it already is.

But for sure, in the case of a brand new rework, remix, rebuild, new game, new music and new effects are more than welcome. So, I repeat myself:

In case of having to make a choice (between original and new FX) — I would stay with the new sounds.

Please keep up the great work.
I never feel tired to watch the screenshots on the first page.
What a fabulous accomplishment this project has become!

Thanks thanks thanks!
C.

I'll admit that I did misread that comment, and I mainly expounded on your Castlevania 3 example to prove my point. I was chiefly responding to the "famiclone" remark.

Gamerhenky

Quote from: optomon on August 17, 2016, 01:19:47 PM
Actually this game uses the MMC3 mapper, and should be fine for emulation. It will need some modification to work on actual hardware though, and I believe Snarfblam is looking into that.

Hmm. No problem Ziko. This will work on nesDS anyway. :)

cospefogo

Anxious to play on my OUYA in the 42" LED screen using gourgeous scanlines and pixel perfect settings!
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Thirteen 1355

Quote from: cospefogo on August 17, 2016, 12:30:34 PM
Yes yes yes...
I absolutely agree.
Maybe I have expressed myself not so clear (English is not my born language)!

I did bring Castlevania 3 to my post because I am very fond of that game in particular, those were THE DAYS, the golden age of my youth in the NES. My first reaction to changing stuff on such title is almost impulsive, since I love it so much as it already is.

But for sure, in the case of a brand new rework, remix, rebuild, new game, new music and new effects are more than welcome. So, I repeat myself:

In case of having to make a choice (between original and new FX) — I would stay with the new sounds.

Please keep up the great work.
I never feel tired to watch the screenshots on the first page.
What a fabulous accomplishment this project has become!

Thanks thanks thanks!
C.

Still, Castlevania 3 can be improved A LOT. Don't let nostalgia blind you.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.