News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" - Version 1.21  (Read 345280 times)

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Re: [NES] Metroid 1 hack - "Metroid - Rogue Dawn" Work in progress
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2015, 07:07:48 pm »
Just reiterating what you guys already know: I'm still on for beta testing, ready when you are. I also reiterate that I wish I could help you more, but if you need a second set of eyes for ASM, let me know. There's one thing I can't stress enough: make sure the extra ASM doesn't cause excessive lag. It can easily kill the fun in an otherwise great hack.

Keep up the excellent work guys, and rock on!

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
interesting
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2015, 07:38:38 pm »
I am somewhat disappointed that this hack doesn't take advantage of the MMC5 cartridge format (for more power/room to work with AND to further deter potential 'karters').
However, the progress and screenshots on this look quite promising.
I hope that the end result of all this effort is a fantastic ROM hack that the community can enjoy with a fresh new aesthetic take on the classic Metroid formula!

(I'm still really damn worried about karters trying to make money off of this and I hope the author can work in some 'anti karting' coding in there without breaking emulation).

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2015, 06:21:54 pm »
Personally, I'm not terribly interested in preventing carting. I'm not very fond of repro makers, but they aren't worth losing sleep over. One idea I've seen tossed around recently is adding a message to the game to the effect of "If you payed for this, you've been screwed," but that's so easy to remove, it almost seems pointless. Maybe it will deter carters with a hint of decency. Who knows? What's more important to me is that if somebody wants to play this on a flash cart or even wants to cart it for personal use, it would be a shame to screw that up.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2015, 06:57:44 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:06:46 pm by Chpexo »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2015, 08:25:44 pm »
Its one thing if they work with the creators, contribute, or give fair share of sales to the workers but Repro Cart people are the biggest pieces of shit... They are worse than the barnacles that hang in a bums asscrack. I hope they get kidney stones the size of bowling balls. Seriously.  ;D

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »
EDIT:
One clever trick is to have the game check to see if the game has been modified; this can be either through a checksum check or by checking if a certain string was modified (as is the case with Gimmick!) and burn the player later with some kind of kill screen or bug. I recall Tomato having anti-piracy measures in his MOTHER 3 translation where the game would be annoying to play it the ROM detects it has been pirated.

You know what would be perfect for something like that? An annoying message that pops up over and over again ala the old version of Bruce Campbell vs Ganon:

Spoiler:
Don't like the game? Go fuck yourself. Need a used dildo?

I know that turned quite a few people off.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2015, 09:30:29 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:05:52 pm by Chpexo »

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2015, 03:18:09 am »
I didn't mean to turn this into an anti-karter debate thread.  I actually have one in the moderation queue that's been sitting unapproved for over a week now :P
Let us make sure to stay on topic, thanks.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2015, 11:13:13 am »
I don't see anything by you in the queue right now... Can you list it by name?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2015, 02:39:19 pm »
I didn't mean to turn this into an anti-karter debate thread.  I actually have one in the moderation queue that's been sitting unapproved for over a week now :P
Let us make sure to stay on topic, thanks.

I think its safe to say that many people consider the kart guys scum.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2015, 06:26:36 pm »
Optomon, please check your PMs.  Thanks.

EDIT: Your PM box is full.  Check your e-mail :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:55:07 am by obscurumlux01 »

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 21, 2015, 06:46:52 pm »
Nice  :thumbsup:, all three are very unique.  I like the fact that you're approaching the music with your own unique style rather than trying to emulate existing music from the Metroid series.  Man, I have to say, track F is badass!  8)

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2015, 10:41:48 pm »
Track F would be perfect for the Abandoned Chozo Colony on SR388. We know there is an Abandoned Chozo Colony thanks to this wiki:

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/SR388

The ancient Chozo's colonies filled portions of the planet's interior, and many had deteriorated into ruins. The race had long since either abandoned SR388 or were wiped out. Also, many robots and drones left by the ancient civilization were still functioning during Samus' mission on the planet; it is unknown what their original purposes were, but these aggressive synthetic beings have seemingly gone rogue since then.

Still I could picture this playing after the ship lands and you run past crumbling chozo statues and other such things.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 18, 2015, 11:34:40 am »
I just wanted to give a quick update for everyone that has been following this project.  We're moving our projected completion date to January 2016.  The release will coincide with the 30 year anniversary of Metroid's original release on the NES system!  Though we did originally plan for a summer release there was some significant setbacks that were not related to the project, one of them being a theft that occurred this summer that cost me several thousand dollars and a sizable amount of time to recover from.  I just wanted to let everyone know that we're still working on getting this project wrapped up and looking forward to getting it out to everyone who's been following our progress!   :thumbsup:

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #215 on: November 18, 2015, 12:21:39 pm »
one of them being a theft that occurred this summer that cost me several thousand dollars and a sizable amount of time to recover from.

Did they find the dickwipe who stole your stuff?

xeorix

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 18, 2015, 12:34:18 pm »
Thanks for the update. So looking forward to this :)

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2015, 12:55:18 pm »
Did they find the dickwipe who stole your stuff?

Nope, but the detective was able to get about 40 to 50% of it back from a pawn shop since I supplied a list of serial numbers.  He was also able to determine that the thief who pawned the items recovered was one of those lovable "dreamers" from south of the border...   >:(  Who would have thought that someone willing to violate our immigration laws would continue to violate our laws and citizens once here?  It's becoming a big problem here in the border states...  The stuff stolen wasn't just a bunch of odds and ends, I'm self employed and they attacked my livelihood by helping themselves to my service vehicle and equipment.  It additionally cost me in lost projects, lost customers, and the cost of replacing the unrecovered items.  Them hitting me during my busy season was the extra slap in the face...  Anyway I maintain a positive demeanor and have been recovering as best as I can, as with most things it could have been much worse...

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2015, 06:05:04 pm »
Some more music

Track G

Track H

These are notably more complex and organic than the previous songs, a sign I'm finally getting a grasp on the custom sound engine (after ironing out several flaws). The object was to layer several voices with the two square channels at once without making it sound too hectic, with the supporting voices having a more 'sound effect' quality to it.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 04, 2015, 08:12:10 pm »
Well they both sound awesome.