News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: What game should I hack?  (Read 3105 times)

Theonesuperx

• View Profile
What game should I hack?
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:11:37 pm »
I been looking for a fun game to hack. Do anyone know a good game that I should hack, minus Super Mario World. Also one that would be easy to add custom content.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: What game should I hack?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 12:23:54 am »
pooyan.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:01:32 pm »
Choosing a game to hack based on the opinions of others seems like it wouldn't be the best place to start.  Because of the difficulty and time consumption you really have to choose a game that you have some what of a personal connection to.  Not to say you couldn't successfully hack a game that's new to you, I would just think your likelihood of completion would be sharply diminished.  Make a list of the games you have a certain "love" for and then see what utilities are available to hack it. 

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:13:30 pm »
Soulblazer :P

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 12:08:22 am »
In a similar answer to what Grimlock just said, take a game that you love the dynamics to, and every intricate aspect of what might be enjoyable to edit or change. Also consider what tools are available for whichever game you might want to work on.

There are quite a few platformers that have good editors, and FF1 and FF6 are RPG's that have good editors and documentation.

What game do you want to re-envision with your own imagination is the answer.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 12:54:43 am »
I'd personally recommend starting either with something small or something well-documented. On the former, you could go with something like Arkista's Ring (small and criminally underlooked); for the latter you could go with a Final Fantasy, Blaster Master, Mega Man, Metroid, Mario, etc. It's up to your tastes, really.