News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man 2 hacking a classic  (Read 11303 times)

omega_rugal

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man 2 hacking a classic
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2014, 02:18:47 pm »
Metal blades are untouched, they consumme 1 point by default, oh and remove the line please, i don`t intend to insult anyone here

ok lets get something straight

referred to as lower quality because the leaf shield is apparently "buggy" and Rugal seemingly failed to implement the detonator for the crash bombs or the ability to stop the Flash Timer on demand, both features in Drakon's hack.

1st of all, i`m not competing with drakon, yes, i haven`t figure out how to fix the Leaf shield and i apologize, but i`m new to hacking NES roms you i guess you can cut me some slack there,

2nd, i didnd`t fail to implement the detonator, i said that i`m not copying the drill bomb and as for the flash stopper i have some room to work on it, i just don`t have much free time, i`m trying to get something people can play now, its an early release, if it`s not good enough for you then wait 6 months to see next update

Therefore, after the two of you derailed Drakon's thread

We made a new thread because of that, i will delete my posts on drakons if that make you happy

(a senior to both of you in this community)

so his hacks are more valuable than mine? fine.
Done your packing?, your life journey is over...

standigz

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2014, 02:23:18 pm »
I consider your hacks more valuable on account that you actually release them rather than just dangling them like a carrot in front of  us.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2014, 02:33:39 pm »
Metal blades are untouched, they consumme 1 point by default, oh and remove the line please, i don`t intend to insult anyone here

ok lets get something straight

1st of all, i`m not competing with drakon, yes, i haven`t figure out how to fix the Leaf shield and i apologize, but i`m new to hacking NES roms you i guess you can cut me some slack there,

2nd, i didnd`t fail to implement the detonator, i said that i`m not copying the drill bomb and as for the flash stopper i have some room to work on it, i just don`t have much free time, i`m trying to get something people can play now, its an early release, if it`s not good enough for you then wait 6 months to see next update

We made a new thread because of that, i will delete my posts on drakons if that make you happy

so his hacks are more valuable than mine? fine.

Do not take that too personal, omega_rugal.
The post was mainly pointed to me.
And yeah, I already sent the entry submission to delete the line, don't worry.

One question, does a MMC3 hack give more room to a ROM to work with for hacks and such?
I am not too familiar with that terminology.

I consider your hacks more valuable on account that you actually release them rather than just dangling them like a carrot in front of  us.

"Dangling them like a carrot in front of us"
Hahah XD
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:42:33 pm by ShadowOne333 »

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2014, 02:51:35 pm »
One question, does a MMC3 hack give more room to a ROM to work with for hacks and such?
I am not too familiar with that terminology.

yes, it prepares the ROM to add more pages to work on, its specially useful to add more CHR data since it graphics in NES games are very limited and you run out of it very fast

lets say the ROM is like a page of paper, each page can hold either text or graphics. in a NES you have 2 of these, one for text (64k), and a small one for graphics (8k), the 2 sheets of paper are stapled together and can be compared to a mapper (in this case the lack of one).

but 2 pages are too little space to work on, if you want more you need a bigger "cuaderno" (translation please, i forgot the word for it) lets say you get a professional style one, now you have 100 pages, you copy the text and the graphics from your old 2 pages and you end up with way more free pages to write on

hope that crude comparison helps you.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2014, 08:25:01 pm »
Cuaderno (Sp.) = quaderno (It.) = notebook.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2014, 10:36:21 pm »
Can I make a request around the hack; can you remove the starting 10 lives & 4 E-tanks?

It seems those are out of scope to your target hack "Weapons hack". IMO it gives less challenge of gathering E-tanks & 1UPs with the OP low energy consuming weapons.

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2014, 12:05:50 am »
Can I make a request around the hack; can you remove the starting 10 lives & 4 E-tanks?

It seems those are out of scope to your target hack "Weapons hack". IMO it gives less challenge of gathering E-tanks & 1UPs with the OP low energy consuming weapons.

Mmm, the purpose of the hack is to remove broken things, you do get more extra lives than in other megaman games, but happens only after acquiring some weapons, which have a higher chance of spawning them, in the begining you hardly ever get lives, same for the e tanks, which only appear at specific points (do enemies ever drop e tanks?) but yes, i think i can make a separate ips for that

but now i have a small surprise, instead of toggling the time stopper on and off (which i already did but couldnt make it work properly) how about truly mastering time and becoming invincible when time is still?

September 20, 2014, 09:53:07 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It s done people

The Leaf Shield is now perfect

Stand still + B does nothing
Any direction + B shoots the shield in that direction

i ll upload the IPS after i make the Crash Bomb explode at will...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:53:07 pm by omega_rugal »

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2014, 06:54:10 am »
Yes. Please remove the start with 10 lives and 4 e-cans. It isn't wanted by most of us. As I said before, you can make that optional if people want it, but don't force it upon everyone. Personally I think it would be fine if you start the player with ONE E-Can, but not 4, and there is no reason to give the player 10 lives at the start at all.

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2014, 09:47:44 pm »
Ok you got it people, Starting lives are back to 3 and you only get 1 free E-tank, also there are a few more things changed

progress so far

Megamna starts with 1 E-tank

Floor friction has been increased so megaman stops inmedialty after releasing the dpad
this gives a more responsive control like in later megaman titles

Megaman energy fills faster when you pick an energy pellet
Master robots life bar fills faster
Using a E tank fills your energy faster
Weapons fill faster when picking an ammo pellet

flash stopper works in 4 secs intervals, also turns megaman invincible while its active
crash bomb explodes faster, in less than a second after latching
Leaf shield is modified to megaman can walk with it, also the "no dir bug" has been fixed
Atomic fire charges faster and megaman begins to flash only after charging level 1

all weapons use less ammo, either 1 or 2 points

item 1 is infinite
item 2 is infinite
item 3 is infinite

as for the crash bomb, i have bad news, theres no free space to work on, and its code is split in several parts that makes it dificult to modify without breaking it. the other option i have is to make a glitchy version like drakons in which the bomb and the explosion overlap

version 1.2 will be up soon

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2014, 11:13:21 pm »
ohhh, i'll admit that's a very good change about mm's walking/stopping thing.

i really hated that gimmick in mm1 and mm2, where he sorta slides on the ground for a few frames before coming to a stop.

mm3-6 didnt do that, it was just instant stop which is much better

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2014, 03:59:33 am »
great! could you please pm me the link? I want to try this out.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2014, 09:36:01 am »
great! could you please pm me the link? I want to try this out.
The hack has its own Entry in here:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2146/

That one is it

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2014, 11:49:56 pm »
A small update

due a request, im now looking for the damage each weapon does to each Robot Master, so far i have found a few values for Flash Man but the process is rather slow so i may not update the list often

Flashman damage list in Hard mode

Megabuster      damage 2 address A942 in ROM 2E952

Atomic fire level 1   damage 2 address A947 in ROM 2e957
Atomic fire level 2   damage 4
atomic fire level 3   damage 6
Air shooter             damage 0
Leaf Shield             damage 0
Bubble lead             damage 2 address A97F in ROM 2e98f
quick boomerang   damage 0
time stopper        damage 0
metal blade         damage 4 address A9A9 in ROM 2E9b9
crash bomb           damage 3 address A99B in ROM 2E9AB

if anyone knows a way to find these values before i reinvent the wheel ill apreciate it