News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man 2 hacking a classic  (Read 11280 times)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Re: Mega Man 2 hacking a classic
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 05:07:52 pm »
I don't like the limits you've placed on the Metal Blade. The Metal Blade should be able to be thrown in any direction. Only one at a time? fine. But do not limit it to only forward directions.

Or if you want to do that, release it as an optional additional patch so that the end users aren't stuck with Metal Blades being broken.

The idea is to enhance Megaman 2, not break it. The easiest thing to do would be to simply let the end user choose which patch to apply, the one that limits the blades to three directions or the one that lets you throw it anywhere like it should.

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 09:43:29 pm »
Havevn`t worked on the metal blade yet, but yeah i`ll keep that in mind...
Done your packing?, your life journey is over...

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 02:08:03 am »
I don't like the limits you've placed on the Metal Blade. The Metal Blade should be able to be thrown in any direction. Only one at a time? fine. But do not limit it to only forward directions.

Or if you want to do that, release it as an optional additional patch so that the end users aren't stuck with Metal Blades being broken.

The idea is to enhance Megaman 2, not break it. The easiest thing to do would be to simply let the end user choose which patch to apply, the one that limits the blades to three directions or the one that lets you throw it anywhere like it should.
I agree with this.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 01:17:37 pm »
To be honest, I don't think you even should change anything about the Metal Blades. Yes they're overpowered, but the overpowered Metal Mades are one of the things that makes Megaman 2 what it is, and becides, skilled players don't rely on Metal Blades for everything, and especially if you fix the actual broken weapons (Crash Bombs have far too little ammo and without being able to remotely detonate them makes them rarely useful, Leaf Shield can't be used when moving, Atomic Fire takes too long to charge, Flash Stopper can't be deactivated manually, etc etc) then Megaman 2 would be perfect.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 02:51:14 pm »
To be honest, I don't think you even should change anything about the Metal Blades. Yes they're overpowered, but the overpowered Metal Mades are one of the things that makes Megaman 2 what it is, and becides, skilled players don't rely on Metal Blades for everything, and especially if you fix the actual broken weapons (Crash Bombs have far too little ammo and without being able to remotely detonate them makes them rarely useful, Leaf Shield can't be used when moving, Atomic Fire takes too long to charge, Flash Stopper can't be deactivated manually, etc etc) then Megaman 2 would be perfect.
Double agree on this. Those EXACT weapons are the ones that were a pain to use and sometimes made the game not enjoyable in some situations.

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 02:48:25 pm »
Ok is ready, but i dont think i can upload it here... PM if you want the url

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 05:36:23 pm »
Ok is ready, but i dont think i can upload it here... PM if you want the url
What do you mean you can't upload it here?
This site is specific for hacks and there should be no violations to any rule if you put the link here unless it is a full ROM.
In that case, I will make a patch and an entry in this site marking you as the sole developer for the hack.

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 09:23:47 pm »
too many requisites

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 12:45:00 am »
too many requisites
Don't worry, I am already making the page entry for this hack and will credit you as the sole creator :)

I also tested your hack.
Wow that was some nice progression there, the ammo usage is now very accesible and you don't have to worry to get depleted ammo that much.
I only the several observations:

• The Leaf Shield is buggy. If you try to use it while moving or jumping, it will sometimes shoot by itself.
    The only suggestion here would be to clean it up a little bit, and if hopefully you can get around that "down thrown without pressing any button" issue. It is actually nice to be able to walk and have the shield on when it works properly :)
  • The Time Stopper and Crash Bombs are actually faster and not that limited with this hack. Nice to see that! Although I still had the constant obsession of wanting to press the B button to cancel the Stopper or to detonate the bombs. XD

Out of that, it is an awesome hack!
Hope you can have the time to continue working on it :)

EDIT: I already made the Page Entry Submission.
Hopefully we can have it up by tomorrow. I will post it here as soon as I get the confirmation reply :D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:05:21 am by ShadowOne333 »

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 01:15:25 am »
The Leaf Shield is buggy. If you try to use it while moving or jumping, it will sometimes shoot by itself.

yes, you must stand still to spawn the shield

The only suggestion here would be to clean it up a little bit, and if hopefully you can get around that "down thrown without pressing any button" issue. It is actually nice to be able to walk and have the shield on when it works properly

i was thinking about changing the command to Dir+B so just pressing B do nothing, but its dificult because like i said i only have 3 opcodes left, if i only had 4 (2 for the check and 2 for the JMP)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 11:29:58 pm »
Hey Omega!

The entry page is now up and running in RomHacking!
Take a look at it:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2146/

I forgot some features, but I already sent another submission for the lives, e-tanks and atomic fire to be added in the entry.

Anything else I am forgetting?

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 11:52:07 pm »
I just want to make a personal opine about the hack making the game too easy, like spammable low energy consuming weapons. Its great that some weapons are more useful. However, I would definitely like to have a controllable Flash Stopper or a remote Crash Bomb. OR is it possible to have more than 4 E-tanks?

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 12:07:46 am »
Thanks ShadowOne333 looks great, but you forgot:

Boss bar fills faster
Megaman energy fills faster (either by energy capsule and e tank)

i always found those long pauses annoying

more than 4 e tanks? is posible but the game spits garbage trying to draw them in the pause menu, in theory you can have up to 255.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2014, 12:19:08 am »
Quote from: from the hack entry page
Hack created by omega_rugal. All credit goes to him and only him. XD

That seems a little tongue-in-cheek, or borderline rude, considering that the hack began as an attempt to copy what Drakon had already done.

I also agree with Zynk that for the most part, these simply wildly overpower the weapons. I'm sure if anyone wanted to play through with infinite weapons, which is essentially what this is, there are already game genie codes or whatever available for doing so.

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2014, 01:40:54 am »
With all due respect, either take it or leave it.

i dont hack to get credit, i do it for fun.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2014, 03:00:15 am »
Added the Bar fills faster feature to the entry page :)
Also, check out your MM3 topic for a link to a Megaman 2 MMC3 hack that might help with spare space for this hack.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2014, 04:14:24 am »
I didn't realized that the hack has 4 E-Tanks & 10 lives.  :'(

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2014, 10:54:37 am »
That seems a little tongue-in-cheek, or borderline rude, considering that the hack began as an attempt to copy what Drakon had already done.
Why rude?
The weapon hack was very well just an idea, and omega_rugal made all the hacking himself with only suggestions and such.
I don't see why that is being rude if it's the truth.

Sure we can say Drakon's hack was the "inspiration", but that's as far as it goes since his hack is not open to public.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2014, 12:42:45 pm »
Why rude?

It's rude because it's childish. The fact that he's listed as the person who released the hack should be ample enough. On top of that, the entry also states, Hack created by omega_rugal., which is fine. However, it insists on beating a dead horse by stating that All credit goes to him and only him. XD, This seems especially childish seeing as how it is an entry for a website which strives for academic or professional writing.

Quote from: For Example...
Person A: I've written a novel about the very specific premise X. However, that novel may or may not be for sale, but it is definitely not public domain at this domain. That said, here is a preview of said novel.

Person B: That's cool. I disapprove of your choice not to make your creations public domain, and instead, I'll quickly rush out this lower quality* novel with the same premise, but replace the parts I'm incapable of writing with superfluous content. It's free for everybody! Enjoy.

*...referred to as lower quality because the leaf shield is apparently "buggy" and Rugal seemingly failed to implement the detonator for the crash bombs or the ability to stop the Flash Timer on demand, both features in Drakon's hack.

So, with the above being an accurate analogy of this situation, I still don't see why it's necessary to stress that "all credit" goes to Person B, especially in such a seemingly immature or unnecessary way.

Therefore, after the two of you derailed Drakon's thread (a senior to both of you in this community) with your apparently unsuccessful attempts at imitating what he's done (because he wouldn't release the fruits of his labor to you) (and are now taking up 2/20 slots—or 10%—of the first page threads in this sub-forum for these rushed hacks),  and you had previously made the obnoxious scare-tactic thread whining about people not releasing their hacks for free, I guess I'm the only person that feels that you're behaving in a disrespectful and unpleasant way. And I guess then, that I'm the only one that's going to call you out on it.

I get that you are adamantly opposed to people not releasing their hacks to the public, so does everyone else that has used this forum semi-regularly since you've joined.

However, there's no call for you to be so (passively) aggressive or rude about it.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2014, 01:42:24 pm »
Fair enough then.
You seem to have tracked me down way more than I would have thought, though.

I will remove such line from the hack entry.

@omega_rugal.
I have the feeling I am missing something else in the entry.
You didn't modify the Metal Blades at all, right?
You left them as they are and just reduced the ammo consumption for it?