News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: 3DS ROM decryption now possible, needs 4.5 homebrew capable 3ds.  (Read 8315 times)

FAST6191

• View Profile
3DS ROMs are encrypted at various levels (different partitions, various trip ups and whatever else), however there is now a piece of 3DS homebrew that allows you to use the 3DS' own decryption to do the hard parts. Naturally this requires a 3DS on firmware 4.5 or lower and it is unlikely that the upcoming ssspwn hacks from Smea/Smealum will have sufficient access for this, no gateway/3ds flash cart should be necessary but you probably will end up using their launcher code.

3DS_CTR_Decryptor-VOiD is what this one is called, there are also a few related tools and tools with similar functionality doing the rounds.
NFO style image
http://i.imgur.com/PGY3YBB.png
download (source included for the curious).
https://www.sendspace.com/file/fdrc7s
news source
http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds_ctr_decryptor-void.370684/

Owing to the way it works (it uses the hardware to unscramble the AES keys and proceeds to the generate a file, one mirroring sizes of the ciphertext, to XOR against the ROM/partition to decrypt) we are unlikely to see a database of keys (XORpad to use the parlance of those in these circles). Whether you eventually see decrypted ROMs uploaded is a different matter, given encrypted ones can already be run with no disadvantages I am not going to hold my breath for it to become a standard.

File wise (there have been some floating around for a while, variously from demos/betas, from RAM dumping, from network dumping and comments those that had abilities beyond that which have been released to the public) most formats seem to be like formats seen on the DS, GC and Wii (an astounding development I am sure) with the occasional dalliance with more modern trains of thought (the 3d hardware/setup was described to me as something along the lines of an older portable version of opengl with the functionality of some of the newer versions bolted on, 3d formats then stuck close to the hardware/setup).

Equally you will not be able to run altered anything right now, however the 4.5 family of exploits do effectively run a custom firmware/have custom code at the lowest level (think ring 0 if you are used to PC terminology) so it should not be hard to patch out/around such issues, indeed some would hold hold the infrastructure is already in place.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS ROM decryption now possible, needs 4.5 homebrew capable 3ds.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:21:55 pm »
I wonder when will Smealum finally make flash carts available for newer versions. Especially the New 3DS, which will SURELY come with the 8.0 FW.

As for the ROMs, if people could run encrypted ROMs with no problem, I'm sure there is no direct advantage. Unless this helps with translations of japanese games, of course.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 03:07:09 am »
Well, smealum's exploit currently seems to work on 4.5-8.x firmware. He apparently wants to wait a bit more to see how the new 3ds thing pans out before releasing. He's also not behind the manufacturing of any flashcarts :o

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 01:20:53 pm »
The only annoyance is really that Gateway 3DS doesn't currently patch out the signature or checksum verification on the ROMs it loads.  If it would, we'd be able to do whatever.

But what would be worth hacking on 3DS?  I'm looking at Triforce of the Gods 2 for anything interesting, and for making crazy cheats for the game, but like, are there any games to translate?

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:39:55 pm »
There's Super Robot Wars UX, a couple of Gundam games, Danball Senki games, Dragon Quest VII, Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3, Medarot games, a couple of ROTK games...

There's always something to translate.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 03:35:48 pm »
There's Super Robot Wars UX, a couple of Gundam games, Danball Senki games, Dragon Quest VII, Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3, Medarot games, a couple of ROTK games...

There's always something to translate.

+1

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 03:55:52 pm »
Well, now that Nintendo said that they'll insist on region locking, I would be happy if Smealum manages to hack the New 3DS as well.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 01:54:35 am »
Just to throw in a couple more for good measure (who knows? maybe future translators are reading :)):
- Azito 3D
- Hamatora - Look at Smoking World

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 07:27:10 am »
The 3DS has certainly a lot going on the Japanese side.
Besides updated releases of existing PSP games (notably Danball Senki, Time Travelers, Frontier Gate, Digimon Re: Digitize -PSP version being fan-translated atm-, ...), you have:
* Mystery games: Jake Hunter/Saburo Jinguji 3DS, Time Travelers, Escape Room series, Nazo Waku Yakata
* Various niche RPGs: Metal Max 4, Beyond the Labyrinth (Konami), Kamen Rider Travelers Record (a Tales game), Brave Company (Namco again, a company manager who has to fight the Evil Overlord), Culdcept 3ds
* Mascot RPGs: Medarots 7/8, Hero Bank, Gyrozetter, SRW UX, Cindrella/Girls RPG (Level-5)
* Dragon Quest: Monsters 1/2, VII, Slime 3 (DQX is impossible though since it's being streamed)
* Ex Troopers, Gaist Crusher 1/2
* Action-y Licensed games: AoT, Gon (Inti-Crates), Crayon Shin-chan, Lost Heroes (Banpesto's SD series)
* Other: Kokuga, Rinkou no Lantse, Airport Hero 3D Honolulu
* Existing, yet imperfect localization: Japan-only Layton 5 re-release, Gunvolt (but the game itself isn't that good so... meh)

No worries, there is still stuff waiting to be translated.

Regarding the 3DS rom decryption being possible, DO we have already a known/publicly available way to open decrypted 3DS ROMs/software?

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 10:53:19 am »
Well, now that Nintendo said that they'll insist on region locking, I would be happy if Smealum manages to hack the New 3DS as well.
>:( 
 Haven't really looked into what could be translate,d but if anything some sort of soft patch for games so you can choose your region.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC