News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SMT translations on romhacking.net  (Read 2529 times)

TimeCop

• View Profile
SMT translations on romhacking.net
« on: August 21, 2014, 10:16:14 am »
Not sure where to put this. This is more about how the pages are organized.

Translation:

Aeon Genesis translation:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/571/

Hacks:

Shin Megami Tensei - Bug Fix Patch
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/988/

The "Bug Fix patch" is in actuality an updated version of the Aeon Genesis Translation. As such the AG translation page should be updated with the "Big Fix Patch" (which should simply just be called a translation).

The "Bug Fix Patch" from the hacks section should be removed. It's not a hack, it's a translation patch with an update.

Having it like this is a little confusing. People might not see the "hack" and use the very ancient Aeon Genesis translation. Or they think that they need to install the Aeon Genesis patch and THEN install the "bug fix patch".

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: SMT translations on romhacking.net
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:21:03 pm »
The "Bug Fix patch" is in actuality an updated version of the Aeon Genesis Translation. As such the AG translation page should be updated with the "Big Fix Patch" (which should simply just be called a translation).

The "Bug Fix Patch" from the hacks section should be removed. It's not a hack, it's a translation patch with an update.

This is incorrect. The "bug fix patch" was not created by nor is sanctioned by Aeon Genesis, and as such it has no business being present on the translation's page. Nor is it "a translation patch with an update" - in fact, it gets applied *on top of* the translation patch and is useless without it. As you note, the translation needs to be applied first.

There is in fact an entirely separate series of as-yet-unpublished fixes in the pipe in my private build of the game; if and when those get released the translation's page will be updated with the fixes, but until then the two are separate things, were created by separate people, and should remain separate.

TimeCop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:46:44 am »
I'm a bit confused, because I applied just the Orden patch and it does in fact work.

Screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/kqReUOz.png

Does it or does it not need the Aeon patch to work? Or does it not work 100%?

How does romhacking.net handle when a patch is updated by someone who is not the original author? Are there two versions posted? Or does the new version supersede the old?

In any case, this is how it could be organized:

Translations:

- Aeon Genesis translation + bugfix (updated)
- Aeon Genesis translation (original unchanged)

Two separate versions, one and the other. If the Orden patch does need the Aeon patch for full functionality then simply combine them into one as a single patch.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »
Even if it works by itself, it's still technically a bug fix created on top of something else, and as such it should not get front billing. And I disagree: combining the two modifies my work in a way that I don't have any control over. This either results in passing off the bugfix as my work (which it isn't) or the original translation as someone else's work (which it isn't.)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 04:18:41 pm »
I think the bugfix should get a mention on the page on the bottom like "Make sure to get the bug patch by some other guy here!" Just my two cents