News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Phantasy Star II Bug Fix Hack questions and opinions  (Read 2686 times)

lory1990

• View Profile
Phantasy Star II Bug Fix Hack questions and opinions
« on: August 21, 2014, 06:06:38 am »
Hello everyone! I'm working on a PSII hack aimed to fix bugs. I also wanted to change a few aesthetic things just to make it look a little more interesting.
I expanded a few windows including the player menu to have the words techniques and equipment fit in the window, but this is where I would like your opinion of. Here's a screenshot:

Do you think it's too large and I should just settle for TECHS and EQUIP?

tryphon

• View Profile
Re: Phantasy Star II Bug Fix Hack questions and opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 01:11:49 pm »
As long as only this menu is shown, there's no problem, but PSII's menu have a tendancy to pop a little everywhere, and you'lll have to enlarge most of them.

There are more difficult alternatives to what you proposed :
* You write the word 'TECHNIQUES' (or better 'Techniques') with your favorite 8 pixels height font, but with variable width (a 'i' is narrower than a 'E' for example), then cut the resulting graphics in 8 pixels wide blocks, then use some unused chars from the font (IIRC there are some japanese glyphs in the English font) to store those blocks, and you modify the string coding 'TECHNIQUES' to point those characters. The drawback is that this text may hurt the eye due to the fact that the font won't be the same (and broken vertical alignment). Those issues could be fixed if you used the same technique for the whole menu, but you may run out of free slots in the font. You can code a little hack to load more glyphs elsewhere in VRAM when the menu is opened.

* Better, but much harder, you code a character display routine that uses a Variable Width Font. I've implemented one for PSIII. It's yet incomplete, because tiles in PSIII menu are organized differently than when map is displayed (that's not the case in PSII). I can share the code. But some adaptation will have to be made (PSIII builds a plane map in RAM before sending to VRAM, so my routine modify this plane map in RAM ; I don't know if this intermediary step is done for PSII).

Here's a screenshot of the VWF for PSIII. I didn't modify the dialog, so you can see that much space have been gained to the right of the text lines (don't take into account the transparent background, it was made on purpose to test if the tiles stopped as they should) :

lory1990

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:06:34 am »
Yeah, I kinda realized it was not pretty, but I was just messing around just to see how things turn out. I'm leaving the menu as is. Thanks tryphon!

By the way the font in that screenshot looks neat, and it's certainly great to have more text in one box. How long do you think it will take you to finish the PSIII project you mentioned in other posts? I'd definitely play it.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 08:24:25 am »
I downloaded this font on this board. It must be CalderaHandwritingCodensed.

The PSIII is a no-schedule project :) I have some projects ongoing, and when I'm fed up and want to play a little, I code something in PSIII.

I plan to release little hacks one after another. For the moment, I do :
* Monofluid / Difluid / Trifluid (done) / Telepipe (to do) / Hidapipe (to do)
* Diagonal moves (done)
* Speed up (mostly done, but I must find a way to disable it on certain situations)
* Map dump (done)
* VWF (menu is quite tedious)

I want to do quite soon :
* Retranslation (include script from Capowski site)
* Edit map / Add new maps

Then I'd like to play with battle engine, Magic... But it may be very possible than I switch to remake the game from scratch for PC, and not Genesis anymore (I've always wanted to code a Phantasy Star Generations 3, because I feel that it's the game that needed to be remade the most from the original serie).