News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How do I tell if the sprites are compressed?  (Read 2387 times)

Daimoth

• View Profile
How do I tell if the sprites are compressed?
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:37:29 pm »
I'm working with Demon's Crest (which I don't believe has any utilities built for it). Basically, all but smallest sprites are a jumbled mess. Like I can generally tell I'm looking at bits of a larger sprite, but there's no way I could piece them back together.

I will be trying to figure it out on my own of course, but I figured I'd ask here as well.

Additionally, if the sprites are compressed, how do I go about figuring out which algorithm was used. And how would I go about decompressing them?

Also, I attempted to use a ZSNES save state to grab a pallette but the sprites are still funky colors. Does this mean that the palette is compressed as well?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:01:31 pm by Daimoth »

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: How do I tell if the sprites are compressed?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:07:44 pm »
If anything is compressed in ROM it's decompressed while the game is running, and thus is shown decompressed in ZSNES save states.

Sprites looking garbeld could be due to compression, but I think it's just because you're looking at different parts of the metasprites without them being arranged.

As for you viewing with the wrong colour, wll, there is 8 different palette the SNES can use for sprites so you'll have to test them all.

Daimoth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:06:03 pm »
Well I did make sure to try all the palettes, but none of them were correct or made any sprites look as they do ingame.

See, here's what I'm talking about

http://i.imgur.com/ILxsDgH.png

The Capcom logo. I've arranged it properly, but different segments of it appear to be using different palettes. I transferred the selected palette to the arranger, too. The rest of the sprites have the same problem. Many of the sprites don't look right with any of the palettes I pulled from the save state.

I think what I'll try doing is using that old palette utility I found that involved screenshotting, etc., it produced a palette that the savestate didn't. Might could do it that way.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:10:01 pm by Daimoth »

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:38:30 am »
Yeah, that's not compressed. You just aren't using the correct tilemap/palette combo. Find those.

Daimoth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:10:42 am »
So the savestate won't yield all of the palettes I'll need?

August 19, 2014, 10:36:59 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Alright so I've got several palettes. I edited sprites to contain a grid of all 16 colors, snapped some screenies and have created a small collection of palettes based on that. Slow, but it works.

As for you viewing with the wrong colour, wll, there is 8 different palette the SNES can use for sprites so you'll have to test them all.

I'm going to assume palette manipulation is a thing? I've pulled 16 so far, but some are very similar, almost as if they've been manipulated in GIMP or photoshop.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:52:25 pm by Daimoth »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 05:22:22 am »
In a save state, the palette is of course the palette in memory at the very time you took the save state. Other palettes used anywhere else in the game are not going to be present in your save state.