News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Earthbound Zero Object Hacking  (Read 2053 times)

DragonDePlatino

• View Profile
Earthbound Zero Object Hacking
« on: August 07, 2014, 07:20:01 pm »
Hello! I'm DragonDePlatino, DDP for short. I have some very basic hex-editing experience but you'll find I'm more of the artsy type so I tend to have a hard time wrapping my mind around hacking.

I need a little bit of help with my Mother 25th Anniversary Edition project. What I'd like to do is hack in more objects. And to get started, I'd like to experiment with these presents in Ninten's basement at the start of the game, moving them around and changing their sprites:

My only problem is that I'm at a loss at how to do this. The Data Crystal wiki has a nice page on editing objects but I don't understand it. All I've been able to find out so far by poking around is that if I go into Bank 03 (24010 - 25DF5) and delete the pointer $AA85, then the presents disappear. And that's it. I think the $AA85 points to another pointer table but...where? And I know that pointer table points to the presents but...where? Really, I only have a very basic understanding of how pointers work from text editing. And even then I never understood why a pointer like $1334 pointed to an address like 0x23423...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:25:57 pm by DragonDePlatino »

zstandig

• View Profile
Re: Earthbound Zero Object Hacking
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:39 pm »
First off, thanks for making this, I lurk at starmen and like what you're doing.

My only advice, is that maybe you could try posting in a different board,  romhacking discussion, perhaps. You would probably get more views, and a better chance at getting a response. The users that know how to do these things don't hang out in the Newcomer section much from what I've seen.

for example, one post made on that board today (the 19th of August) has as many views as this one that you posted well over a week ago.

my 2 cents.

Good luck.

DragonDePlatino

• View Profile
Re: Earthbound Zero Object Hacking
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:07:24 pm »
Sure thing! I think what I'll do is finish everything not involving objects or ASM, then I'll put up a project thread on the main forums trading some hacking for graphical work.