News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: **SOLVED** Chrono Trigger - Level Zero + Retranslation Editing Help  (Read 2588 times)

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
Hello!  I need some help with a personal project.

A while back, I decided to combine two Chrono Trigger ROM hacks together: Maelstrom's "Level Zero" and the Kajar Labs/Chrono Compendium "Retranslation" hack.  To my pleasant surprise, the two worked perfectly together!  ... or rather, almost perfectly...  Apparently, one hack or another nudged some text strings around.  Specifically, the text strings for treasure chests.  Rather than saying "Got 1 [item]!" or "Got [item]!", the merged-patch ROM returns "Go[item]     !". (Edit: The giant gap between "Go/Got" and the item is apparently an artifact of the Retranslation patch itself...) Money chests and empty chests both return completely blank strings.  Item descriptions also take from the Retranslation hack, but use the Level Zero values (such as Potions saying "restores 50 HP" when they actually restore 150 HP).

So anyway, this was all pretty negligible.  The game works perfectly aside from this and I've been having a blast experiencing the enhanced challenge combined with a superior translation.  Recently however, I decided to look into fixing the broken chest strings and item descriptions myself, since a friend of mine is interested in experiencing "Level Zero Retranslation".
Everything else smoothly when I popped open the ROM in Temporal Flux.  I could edit everything just fine and it saves perfectly.  Except... in doing so, I seem to have completely removed the special translator intro screen.

My question: Is there a way to edit strings in the ROM without removing the special screen(s) added by the translators?  I think there's two of them total, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: This was put in the Newcomer's Board because I figured it was something simple like a misplaced byte or something.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:04:05 pm by Doc Lithius »

Vehek

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger - Level Zero + Retranslation Editing Help
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:28:37 pm »
The Chrono Trigger Retranslation expands the ROM, which requires some of the data to be mirrored. When saving, Temporal Flux automatically recreates the mirror data. In the retranslation, only the mirror data was modified with the call to the special intro routines. So when Temporal Flux writes new mirror data, that call gets erased.
In a hex editor, write the byte sequence 5C 00 F0 42 to the addresss 0xFF00. After making this edit, Temporal Flux should no longer remove the special intro screen.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger - Level Zero + Retranslation Editing Help
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 12:28:11 pm »
Ah, man!  You are awesome!  That re-enabled the special intro screen and made it so Temporal Flux won't disable it again, just like you said!

Thank you very much!  If I decide to release this publicly (and get permission to do so from the L0 and RT folks), you're absolutely getting a special thanks!

Edit: And then I realized who I was talking to.  Ha hah!  No wonder you knew how to fix it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:19:38 pm by Doc Lithius »