News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help me search Text in First Queen (SNES)  (Read 10942 times)

naxis

• View Profile
Re: Help me search Text in First Queen (SNES)
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 08:24:45 am »
Thanks Yugi.

You said Dac's table is "somewhat unsorted and something is wrong in it." How did you compile your table?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 01:17:28 pm »
I still don't get one point about the game. First Queen uses a 16 pixels wide font. But in the game, it's 12 pixels. So if it's 12x12 when displayed, then why the made a 12x16 font?

The NES and SNES (and gameboy and game gear and a whole host of other similar platforms) generally store their graphics as 8x8 tiles. If you consider an 8x8 tile at 1bpp, each byte represents eight bits, and each 1 bit represents a pixel while each 0 bit represents transparency. Because of this, it's easier to store a 12x12 font with twelve rows of sixteen bits - that is, it's mathematically simpler to calculate the "start" of a font tile (since, vertically speaking, you can store twelve rows of 16 bits and easily calculate the start of a tile by multiplying the character index by 12 rows and 2 bytes) and do a binary shift when necessary than it is to figure out where the horizontal start of a byte may be.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 02:44:26 pm »
Not that much harder to calculate the start address but I'll agree it's simpler math to load a 16x16 tile and, for every other character, shift right 4 pixels and merge (they usually store 2 12x12s together to form a complete 24x16 (2-character) tile) than to store as 12-pixel wide data and have to shift the data around as it loads.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

naxis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 04:44:14 pm »
Has there been any progress since you last posted CrazyDac? Do you need any help with the translation?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 07:06:27 pm »
If someone in this thread is determined to translate the text, I guess I'll offer to see what I can do about hacking the game itself. No disrespect but some of those screenshots are sort of painful to look at :( Meaning absolutely no disrespect here, it'd be a shame for a good text translation to be paired up with a somewhat subpar technical effort no matter how good the intentions behind it are.

visualdefenition

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 09:45:58 am »
Well CrazyDAC there you go. Keep at it and get some translation support. This game will be a neat addition to the translated library if it gets done. I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy it.

*looks at Gideon Zhi* Not only are you a great hacker, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar.  :thumbsup:

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 02:41:52 am »
I myselff dumped all the text out and translated all. I was able to expand the text bank, but after that I realized that the game uses a Mono space (fixed) font, which result is bad looking.
CrazyDac also suffers the same thing. So if anyone can do a Proportional (variable width) font hack, the project will be done in a day.

visualdefenition

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 08:31:33 am »
Great news! Well I would be happy to beta test if needed once it's ready. Unfortunately I don't have too much free time right now to be an expediting tester and it would probably be slow going but, this game deserves the professional treatment just like any other project and I would be happy to assist in anyway that I can.

Crazy DAC

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 02:34:51 am »
Sorry that I'm not read this topic for a while because I decided to focus on my project until it finish, but today I checked topic and see yugisokubodai already translated all the text then you can do this together with Gideon Zhi to make this game translation perfect. Then, there is nothing for me to do at this point, so I'll leave this project to you guys.  :thumbsup:

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 03:07:59 am »
I myselff dumped all the text out and translated all. I was able to expand the text bank, but after that I realized that the game uses a Mono space (fixed) font, which result is bad looking.

AND you used Cartographer, eh? Could I see a small sample of your prepped English?

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2014, 05:39:31 am »
AND you used Cartographer, eh? Could I see a small sample of your prepped English?

Here is my screen shot of what I translated.
Notice that English is not my mother tongue. After finishing translating to my language, I also translated into English so may everyone need it in the future. Offcourse, it needs a proof reader.

P/S: I moved the text block to another place, so the Pointer address are not the same as in the original one.

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 08:19:34 am »
I have received several private message asking about how to dump the text from this game.
So I wrote this manual, anyone who concern can download it from here.

https://www.mediafire.com/?r6d3rt6jdvr3l17

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 03:35:00 pm »
Hm, okay, so formatting and editing will be necessary. That's okay; I can deal with that.

Also sorry, it's been sort of crazy in the leadup to Lagrange Point and with actual work; I hadn't noticed that you'd posted in reply! I'll be in touch shortly.

hanhnn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2015, 07:16:36 pm »
May I ask how this is going?

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2015, 12:06:31 am »
English translation done.
Waiting for a vwf routine  :police:

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2015, 12:14:25 am »
Cool. I either didn't realize anyone was working on this game or had forgotten. What a pleasant surprise.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2015, 12:34:55 am »
Crazy DAC is the first one who care about translating this game. I take the translation where he left and finished translating a month ago. I'm waiting for Gideon Zhi to complete his vwf code. :crazy: