News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Game's that have caused you to feel emotion  (Read 14286 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Re: Game's that have caused you to feel emotion
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2021, 12:18:05 am »
While I'm not sure it counts as "emotion" per se, the twist midway thru Final Fantasy 8

Spoiler:
That all the main characters except for Rinoa grew up together at the same orphanage run by a lady who currently appears to be the main antagonist, and somehow they all just magically forgot

Felt frustrating and dumb, even back when I played the game for the first time. It's just ridiculous. Why in the world they would write the story that way, I have no idea. Why do I care? I don't get it, and the way the story plays out after that doesn't give much emotional payoff to it. It feels like they got tired of trying to make sense of the story, and it's a twist for the sake of having a twist.

It just comes off to me like bad, lazy writing, and it represents the focal point of all my problems with the way the series has told its stories since then.
Yamero~~!

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2021, 07:57:34 am »
Zero 3 was the one that did it for me. You had been with X on his journey for a decade of your life, and in his final act of kindness, he uses his last ounce of strength to rescue his dearest friend, after Zero had just confronted his worst nightmare. After so many years of fighting wars that he didn't ask for, he never gets to see the peaceful world that Dr. Light wanted for him.

That is really sad as well.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2021, 11:22:48 pm »
Another vote for Phantasy Star 2, in the Nei/Neifirst scene. Something about the game's art, story and most of all, the soundtrack, really hit home. The same composer worked on Space Harrier 2, the Arnold Palmer golf game, and some strategy game (Daisenryaku something?), and his distinctive patches and compositions are probably the most beautiful among the Genesis/MegaDrive library.

The soundtrack to PS3 is maddeningly repetitive garbage and the larger part of why I could never finish that game, much as I wanted to.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2021, 02:47:58 am »
G.O.D. for SNES had a few unexpectedly poignant scenes, like
Spoiler:
the death of the protagonist's mother
; the
Spoiler:
attempted suicide scene in Final Fantasy 6
; the final scenes in Treasure of the Rudras; Royal Stone - some
Spoiler:
character deaths + retrospective ending
; there's way, way more of course, but I'd have to think about it.

I personally didn't like PS2 that much; I'd played it after 1 and thought it was a step-down, just couldn't get into it, but I respect it for what it meant (absolutely hated the dungeons, though). PS3 had much more interesting lore/plot than 2 in my opinion, but the game itself felt really half-baked + the soundtrack wasn't that good (4 is by far my favourite in this series, in terms of gameplay; 3 for plot/lore). For me, the best Mega Drive RPGs are the Western RPGs/ports (Starflight, Pirates! Gold and Shadowrun).

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2021, 10:08:16 am »
The ending of Final Fantasy X still gets me to this day.
Spoiler:
When Tidus tries to comfort Yuna but ends up phasing through her. That combined with the orchestral version of "To Zanarkand". It gets me every time.

There was also the surprise in Kingdom Hearts II where Sora and Donald think that Goofy has died. Growing up on Goof Troop, that hit me HARD, even though I knew they wouldn't leave him dead.

For positive emotion, the final level of Celeste was a masterclass in making the player feel like they can truly do anything.

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2021, 05:18:07 pm »
Let's see, at the end of Final Fantasy X :
Spoiler:
Dad... I hate you.
*laugh softly* I know.
And also, that short moment where Auron
Spoiler:
does slash at the image of himself in the past.
During the whole game he's calm and stoic and so on, seeing him like that is, well it's sad.

Final Fantasy IX : this.

Terranigma : the goat scene. It's even worse when you come back later.
The part with Leim is just too  adorable. ^^

Breath of Fire 2 :
let's see, Mina
Spoiler:
becoming the Great Bird
, Rand's mother
Spoiler:
sacrificying herself for her son
, the whole part with the final boss starting with
Spoiler:
him killing your partners.

Asura's Wrath :
the final episode of chapter 2, after you know what happened. On top of that, the screaming that Ashura does at the end (at least in the Japanese version) is heartrending.
Also the 4th chapter (the DLC one) final episode. It super awesome with quick time event that get on par with Kingdom hearts 2 triangle button.

SD Gundam G Generation Spirits :
the MS Igloo's episodes. Especially stage 5 event battle. 
Spoiler:
They were just kids. ;-;
On top of that, the MS Igloo theme is awesome. (So are the Hidolf and the Big Rang).

Final Fantasy 6 : the opera. You know it's true!  :D
Oh and what happens after the floating continent part.
Oh and those events with Terra at Thamasa.
Oh, the coin flip event. It's even better if you then bring Sabin and Edgar to the opera.  :D
When you get
Spoiler:
the second airship.
The part with the ghost train. Especially the end. That might counts too;D
Kefka being owned big time at Figaro Castle.  :D
Gau meeting his father. There's not even a in game reward excuse to do it but I redo it anyway when I replay the game.
The ending in general.

The storyline of Mega Man X 4. "Victory" has quite a bitter taste here, especially with Zero.

Mega Man 5 on the game boy. Come on,
Spoiler:
Wily being zapped by the final boss
has to be worth something! :D

Kirby Superstar, Metaknight's Revenge (or something like that). It's neat to see those character speaking as you progress through the game.

Zelda Ocarina of Time : when you arrive in Hyrule town
Spoiler:
in the future.

Phantom Brave : let's just say the 1st chapter is a bit rough for Maronna. Only make the final episode more awesome where
Spoiler:
she kick the butt of many of those Ravens there.
Also, those parts with Sprout in the final episode. O-O
And then after that, Castille
Spoiler:
realizing Walnut's true identity.

Disgaea : the Red Moon episode.
That being said, the episode where Laharl is getting rid of all of those who would try to take his place is funny. (IMHO it's better with Japanese voices.)

Soul Nomad and the World Eaters :
that game dropped on me the mother of wham episodes at that part toward the end where you go looking for the last World Eater. Well played game! X D

Shin Megami Tensei :
Spoiler:
Japan getting nuked.
And that's just the beginning. Also, whenever there are no random battles. There is always a reason and sometimes the reason is something really, REALLY bad.

Seiken Densetsu 3 : the way the music change during the final battle deserves a mention.

Faxanadu : that ending when a modified version of the main theme play.

Okay so tell me. Why can't Mina let Nina die? She knows all of Windia are after her becuase of her Black Wings.

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2021, 06:34:02 am »
Nope... Never cried, but several games have given me serious chills through storytelling. Video games can be fun and I loved them but they are just video games.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2021, 09:01:37 pm »
Resident Evil made me experience fear. Other games like Zelda: BOTW or Final Fantasy made me feel happy and sad.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2021, 09:55:07 am »
Okay so tell me. Why can't Mina let Nina die? She knows all of Windia are after her becuase of her Black Wings.
I thought it was stated in the game. Didn't she even state in that cutscene she knew Nina would be far more useful to her country in her present form.

Now, Ryu, can't think about how bad it must be to learn what happened to both of his parents. Both the bad and "good" possible outcomes for his dad are pretty tragic.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Eldrethor

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2021, 02:15:06 am »
Nope... Never cried, but several games have given me serious chills through storytelling. Video games can be fun and I loved them but they are just video games.

Any kind of fiction, whether it's a movie, a game, or a book, can have an emotional impact, but I think it depends on two things: how relatable the characters and situations are, and if the story did a good enough job to get you invested.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2021, 09:38:09 am »
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
Emotions felt from the game's design: depression, melancholy.

I may have once on another forum made a perhaps sleep-deprived comparison that MM does more to make us reconsider the futility of a life spent playing video games, than Jack Thompson (2000s game- and gamer-hating lawyer, do people remember him?) could have done.
And there's probably some bit to it.

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2021, 12:58:12 pm »
Metal Gear Solid.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2021, 04:42:55 pm »
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
Emotions felt from the game's design: depression, melancholy.

I may have once on another forum made a perhaps sleep-deprived comparison that MM does more to make us reconsider the futility of a life spent playing video games, than Jack Thompson (2000s game- and gamer-hating lawyer, do people remember him?) could have done.
And there's probably some bit to it.

I don't quite understand what you mean. I never played MM, but it sounds like you experienced some compulsion to play this game that was perpetually disappointing, to the point where it raised existential doubt about the value of playing video games at all. Is that accurate?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2021, 06:35:08 pm »
Why should I care if any sort of good deed (such as saving the poisoned swamp) is done when it is just going to be reset when I next to reset the time loop? Why did I spend the time doing it?

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2021, 10:07:07 am »
Damn, already made the 8/16-bit action game rage joke :P

I did feel Alys more than Aeris though. Especially if you spend time learning more about her from the NPC's in Aeido. There's no delusion that Phantasy Star IV is an excellent game.