News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: no$gba and debugger 2.7c released, now both freeware  (Read 12329 times)

FAST6191

• View Profile
no$gba and debugger 2.7c released, now both freeware
« on: July 29, 2014, 05:23:25 am »
As the title says no$gba and its debugger got a new release, there have been a few changes but most notable for this site would be the revamp of the documentation and the move for the debugger to freeware (it has always been paid before). You can still buy the author a beer over paypal though.

For those unaware the debugger is the best one available for the DS by some way and easily holds its own among the GBA debugging emulators, possibly even beating some by virtue of the very nice GUI it has for it all. In general I would probably place the debugger behind fceux but they definitely go to the same parties.
http://problemkaputt.de/gba-dev.htm has more on the debugger.
http://problemkaputt.de/gba.htm has downloads.

Equally if you have ever wanted to know about GBA or DS hardware you probably read (or want to read) the specs the emulator comes with
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm

One changelog
28 Jul 2014 - version 2.7c
- webpage: moved from http://nocash.emubase.de/ to http://problemkaputt.de/
- freeware: both no$gba gaming version and debug version are now fully freeware,
  donations http://problemkaputt.de/donate.htm are welcome and valuable support
  (I am working fulltime on no$xxx emulation projects without any other income)
- snapshots: supports savestates in NDS mode (formerly supported for GBA only)
- nds/snd: replaced nds_snd_getnext_proc by "proc_id" (snapshot compatibility)
- gaming version: allows to access recent files menu without cartridge loaded
- mem: forces gba-slot region to be 00h-filled on deselected cpu (arm7 or arm9)
- help: nds mem control: notes on gba-slot deselection, and gba-slot open bus
- help: major cosmetic changes to arm/thumb cpu chapters (parts from no$sns)
- cpu: exported arm disassembler and arm cpu engine to external include files
- snapshot: re-included bg2/bg3_refx/y registers (for gba and BOTH nds-engines)
- snapshot: does freshen_waitcnt_raw before emu-run (needed after snaploading)
- snapshot: snap-saver skips empty chunks (eg. unused NDS chunks in GBA mode)
- cpu: supports ldmd/stmd direction (increasing, NOT decreasing) (classic nes)
- cartloader/gui: reinit game-window size when switching between gba/nds mode
- mem: with_new_memory_system (completely new memory system: now using separate
  small macros per memory region, instead of old giant all-in-one macro, this
  does resolve a terrible mess, does speed-up source code assembling, and does
  speed-up NDS tcm/wram emulation, and allows to add DSi memory areas in future)
- snapshot: added new snapshot/battery sna/sav compression option (as in no$psx)
- setup/sound: volume slider (optionally hardware/mixer or software/multiply)
- a22i: fixed ".fill" directive (destroyed ecx when fetching 2nd/3rd parameter)
- help: added "GBA Cart Protections" chapter (namely about "classic nes" stuff)
- nds: allows nds7bios intrwait bios-bug with any incoming lz77-random values
- nds: allows jmp to 05ECh without warning (can be used for dumping NDS7 bios)
- gba: forces rom-mirror (instead "increasing numbers") for "classic nes" series
- gba: forces eeprom (no flash/sram) for "classic nes" series (game code "Fxxx")
- mem: moved misaligned_mem_reads to subfunction level (instead macro level)
- xboo: recognizes DSi's 128K flash id (allows to dump/patch wifi calibration)
- help: added note on ldmd/stmd transfer order (uses increasing addr for rlist!)
- help: corrected wifi calibration chapter (version is at 040h, not at 044h)
- web: changed no$gba forum link: http://ngemu.com/forums/no-gba-discussion.102/

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: no$gba and debugger 2.7c released, now both freeware
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:27:28 am »
Oh, save state support was finally added? It took way too long :P (loading a RAM dump is not a viable stable alternative imho)

I see he mentioned wifi tweaks. Is it relevant to local multiplayer/download play emulation? I know no$gba is the farthest in development in that regard even though the feature is incomplete (compared to DesMume which has functional WFC emulation but absolutely nothing for local wifi... being open source didn't help that much)

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 06:59:16 pm »
- snapshots: supports savestates in NDS mode (formerly supported for GBA only)
Whoa whoa whoa... savestates? SAVESTATES?!?!

Regarding the debugger... I hope it helps making sprite rips easier... for some games, at least.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:08:04 pm »
Too bad it's a little late for them, now that DeSmuME has been the most stable and compatible DS Emulator for a long time...

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:22:48 pm »
Stable and compatible, even improved with the new 3d uprendering stuff, absolutely.
However its debug capabilities are a distant second to no$gba (between lua, what is available, external readers, the cheat stuff and gdb you can do a lot, no$gba does most of that out of the box and more besides), now I have dealt with worse on some systems but I was not kidding when I compared it to the likes of fceux debug options.
Also on the GBA no$gba is more than capable of trading blows with vba-sdl-h, by virtue of it being able to be GUI driven as well it might even beat it in some cases.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:36:24 pm »
Also on the GBA no$gba is more than capable of trading blows with vba-sdl-h, by virtue of it being able to be GUI driven as well it might even beat it in some cases.

Hahahaha, I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Working productively with vba-sdl-h is like fishing a bottle that a homeless person used as a toilet out of a dumpster, then smashing that bottle and giving yourself a circumcision with the shards of glass. vba-sdl-h is a crude, crude crutch for when people didn't want to pay for the no$ debugger version. Now it's simply obsolete on every level.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:12:45 pm »
It works for most of what I want to do as far as debugging on the GBA goes, of course I also like to edit video with avisynth so I might not be the best person to ask.

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 06:03:48 am »
I don't trust this dev for one bit, he's also offering emulators that can pull this shit:
(This is a literal quote from no$gmb's readme)

A message says ILLEGAL COPY and beeps whenever I turn on my computer!

Yup, that's what happens to people like you. However, as that message
said, you can still use your computer (after hitting space 500 times),
and after doing that five times (ie. 2500 keystrokes alltogether) the
program will assume that you have realized your fault, and delete your
harddisk, no, no, just joking, it'll stop bothering you at that time.
Additionally you are encouraged to report your actions to your local
police office.
Note: That happens -only- to people whom have actually stolen a
registration key, not to normal registered or unregistered users.

I'm sorry, but you're on a whole other level of self-entitlement if you load your software with malware, just because they pirate your stuff. Asking people to pay for software that can easily do illegal things is one thing, I can live with that, because it is a gray area. But to go as far to actually incur damage to people's computer's just because they take the same approach to acquire your program (pirating instead of paying), is mighty hypocritical.

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:17:36 am »
Hahahaha, I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Working productively with vba-sdl-h is like fishing a bottle that a homeless person used as a toilet out of a dumpster, then smashing that bottle and giving yourself a circumcision with the shards of glass. vba-sdl-h is a crude, crude crutch for when people didn't want to pay for the no$ debugger version. Now it's simply obsolete on every level.

I hate VBA-SDL-H so much. There is no reason to use it now that the NO$GBA debugger is freeware. NONE WHATSOEVER. Unless you're some kind of masochist, I guess?

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:50:43 am »
I am just going to stick with IDA Pro. Now that's a debugger worth using.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 01:50:43 pm »
"I'm sorry, but you're on a whole other level of self-entitlement if you load your software with malware, just because they pirate your stuff. Asking people to pay for software that can easily do illegal things is one thing, I can live with that, because it is a gray area. But to go as far to actually incur damage to people's computer's just because they take the same approach to acquire your program (pirating instead of paying), is mighty hypocritical."

I am not sure that (space a few times) quite rates as malware.

As for using VBA-sdl-h I guess if you know how it works -- no$gba has a tiny learning curve, nothing that someone that has made it to the point in life where they appreciate the concept of a breakpoint is going to be troubled by, but knowing the UI seems to be a valid excuse elsewhere in the harder parts of a given field.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 12:29:51 pm »
Okay, uh, why is Avast treating this as a virus? I mean, it is really considering the emulator as a virus.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 05:22:53 pm »
I believe he uses a exe packer (upx if memory serves), packed/encrypted exe files tend to trigger virus heuristics as malware will tend to want to cloak itself by doing similar things.

It is technically the AV program writer's fault but they will probably also say there is no good reason to use packers/encryption in 2014.

Anyway false positive, if you want to submit to avast and say "sort it out" then go ahead.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 11:22:20 pm »
I believe he uses a exe packer (upx if memory serves), packed/encrypted exe files tend to trigger virus heuristics as malware will tend to want to cloak itself by doing similar things.

It is technically the AV program writer's fault but they will probably also say there is no good reason to use packers/encryption in 2014.

Anyway false positive, if you want to submit to avast and say "sort it out" then go ahead.
Avast user here, I can attest that the program wasn't caught in the AV. It might be that you are using some sort of program monitoring that is enabled by default on Avast. I suggest disabling that in Avast's setting as it can conflict with some programs causing them to open and close endlessly.