News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Donations  (Read 4014 times)

LinkSavesHyrule

• Translator
    • View Profile
Donations
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:06:59 pm »
I apologize if this is not the proper place to ask this, but I'd like to know how the community feels about donations.

Are donations acceptable?
Does asking for donations undermine your integrity?
Is it best to simply leave the door open for donations, and not ask for them explicitly?
For those of you that offer the route for donations, have the donations significantly helped you in some way?
Are donations difficult to deal with? I could imagine gaining a sense of "I need to finish this project now, I owe them."

I would imagine the best way to operate with donations would be to simply leave the avenue open for fans, but not take it too seriously. Just like fan input, it may be best to take it with a grain of salt, don't worry about obligations, and just stay true to yourself.

Thoughts?

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
Re: Donations
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:20:20 pm »
Do you mean like kidneys?

Do they have to be human kidneys?

LinkSavesHyrule

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:22:51 pm »
I suppose any kind of kidney would be fine.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:53:46 pm »
In general, most romhackers don't ask for donations due to the dubious legal nature of their work, but a few here and there have a donation tab on their own site for their own reasons. The closest RHDN has come to donations is with forum members helping with the server bill every year. I believe it's against site policy to even bring up the idea of asking for donations. This is done to protect RHDN from any potential legal threat.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:14:00 pm »
I need donations for drinks and entertainment, maybe a kickstarter would work  :beer:

Want to donate to the site bill?? ---->http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,18225.0.html

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:39:41 am »
I believe it's against site policy to even bring up the idea of asking for donations. This is done to protect RHDN from any potential legal threat.

What about offering donations for original content?

I'd gladly go into the four-figures if the FCEUxD people made a similar debug/emulator program for the SNES.

LinkSavesHyrule

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:47:54 am »
In general, most romhackers don't ask for donations due to the dubious legal nature of their work, but a few here and there have a donation tab on their own site for their own reasons. The closest RHDN has come to donations is with forum members helping with the server bill every year. I believe it's against site policy to even bring up the idea of asking for donations. This is done to protect RHDN from any potential legal threat.

Thanks for the in depth response, I really appreciate it Pennywise.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 03:23:27 am »
You could always do a small website and host your content on it with a Paypal button that links to your account. This way if people pass by the site it would be up to their own accord to donate.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 06:48:47 am »
On the bringing fceux grade debugger stuff to other platforms then surely you are just funding (probably) open source development. That said I have seen a few good for nothing other than ROM hacking tools be donationware or something.

Others I have seen might have some ROM hacking related stuff but have a bunch of programs and/or are homebrew developers.

I apologize if this is not the proper place to ask this, but I'd like to know how the community feels about donations.

Are donations acceptable?
Does asking for donations undermine your integrity?
Is it best to simply leave the door open for donations, and not ask for them explicitly?
For those of you that offer the route for donations, have the donations significantly helped you in some way?
Are donations difficult to deal with? I could imagine gaining a sense of "I need to finish this project now, I owe them."

I would imagine the best way to operate with donations would be to simply leave the avenue open for fans, but not take it too seriously. Just like fan input, it may be best to take it with a grain of salt, don't worry about obligations, and just stay true to yourself.

Thoughts?

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,18117.0.html (Money and ROM hacks from a few weeks back).

As others said straight up ROM hacking is legally dubious in a lot of places and when money is involved in when lawyers are far more inclined to perk up. With that being the case it kind of renders the rest not all that relevant, I will try but as it does not tend to come up thanks to that position....
If someone finds your email and asks if you would happen to like something then I would say that is up to you. I wouldn't but money is not really a driving force in my life, nor do I think that I have done anything worth donating for in ROM hacking (whoo I spent a few hours pulling something apart and/or helping someone through a difficult task... I will probably spend a few hours staring at the ceiling today and tomorrow).

If I did take donations I would not feel obligated to do anything about the project. If I did it as a kind of work/contract then that would be different, however then you are probably into such skills do not come cheap territory.

I could see a kind of drive to get a rare beta/unreleased game or hardware, mainly to then dump it and/or analyse it. I am less a fan of donation drive to get a rare beta/unreleased to prevent it from being released.
Equally I have very little time for people playing in the repros world.

As for whether I would donate, probably not as I tend not to donate for anything and the concept of tipping is not one that really exists around here.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:03:38 pm »
I'd
What about offering donations for original content?

I'd gladly go into the four-figures if the FCEUxD people made a similar debug/emulator program for the SNES.

One of the reasons why I don't do SNES translations is because there is no FCEUX-type emulator for the SNES. byuu's supposed to be releasing his "loki" debugging branch soon, but I can't really stomach any of his emulator stuff.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 03:12:37 pm »
I don't see any good use to which to put fan donations. Let's face it: more than a few drinks worth is unlikely. The only good use I can think of wout be to buy a system with the donations.
Still, I don't think I would take that money.

As far as I'm concerned, encouragement or a bit of help would go much further.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 03:18:46 pm »
People have used them to buy carts to re-dump or for their manuals and such.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

LinkSavesHyrule

• Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:37:21 pm »
Interesting points everyone!

Thank you for being so open and forward.
I think the most important thought I can gleam from all of this is that emotional support is much more effective and necessary for ROMhacking.

That is to say, we do this not just for ourselves, but to share, and that feedback is the most rewarding thing you can receive.